One week after launch - has SRB2ME lived up to expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Warrior said:
I'm porting it, but it's going to be a strict port; no new enemies or textures or gimmicks are going to be taken advantage of in it.

Also, J-town, it's 1.09.4. Not 1.04.9.

SpiritCrusher said:
If you eventually found out how to beat him, what's the problem? Of course it forces you to do unexpected things, but if you have no other chance to harm him, you will eventually try the missiles. So did I.
Just because it's defeatable doesn't make the method of defeating it any less stupid. Do you think I should start headbutting plasma grenades in Halo 3 when enemies are too tough to kill? Oh hey, there's Ganondorf again, I think I should defeat him by leaping face-first into his sword. Or hell, maybe I should just jump into the very next obviously bottomless pit I find whenever I get lost in the level OH WAIT WE'VE ALREADY DONE THAT.

I can understand having to experiment a little, but deliberately commiting suicide should not be a method of defeating a boss.
MattW_CFI said:
The whole problem of "I didn't know what to do" is caused by the fact that Brak isn't intended to be ERZ's boss in the first damned place. He's the boss for DCZ.

Except, y'know, DCZ is nowhere to be found in ME. Trust me, when DCZ is done, it'll get the player accustomed to the gimmicks that Brak uses.
Then why bother releasing it ahead of schedule in the first place? Or at the very least, make whatever level gimmick you're referring to (don't worry, I won't pry for spoilers) a temporary part of a previous level until DCZ is completed? That doesn't make any sense at all. I understand the game's incomplete and all but it's not that hard to show a little consistency about it. There's plenty of ways about it and no real excuse for skipping on any of them.
tailsmastermind said:
I thought his weak spot was very obvious. I mean wasn't smoke coming out from the head?
He also had a GIANT SPIKE on his head, which kinda makes that pointless. Considering it's a general rule of thumb in Sonic games not to touch anything sharp and pointy, with only a single exception in the entire franchise (and even then, Marble Garden had the sense to introduce those in a logical fashion), it's a natural reason NOT to jump on top. Not to mention you still get hurt anyway if you attack it directly face-first, which adds another logical reason that attacking the head isn't going to help.

Hell, I didn't even know it was damaging him at all until he arbitarily decided to blow the centre platform up. I'm assuming he was accidentally hitting himself or something, but considering how fast you need to get off him again you never actually get a good look of what happens. That's more of a personal pet peeve on my part, so ignore that - it could easily be fixed by reusing the same boss damage SFX that had been used for the other three bosses in the game.

Last edited:
Oh hey Blacklightning.

Having enjoyed SRB2's final boss, I really can't think of any boss or situation in any Sonic game in which you have to deliberately throw yourself into certain death in order to solve a puzzle or beat a boss. I don't think it's unreasonable to be frustrated by these tactics at all - it's fine and dandy that DCZ will supposedly prepare the player for these kinds of situation, but the matter of fact is that in this demo at least, Black Eggman was a "guide dang it" moment, through and through.

Just so you all know, Brak Eggman was basically the last thing implemented in design, and we kinda knew people would have trouble figuring out the gimmick, but we figure it's the temporary final boss so a little cursing while trying to figure it out is generally okay.

Mystic said:
Just so you all know, Brak Eggman was basically the last thing implemented in design, and we kinda knew people would have trouble figuring out the gimmick, but we figure it's the temporary final boss so a little cursing while trying to figure it out is generally okay.

Bleh, Brak Eggman isn't that hard. I had trouble beating Sonic 2's stage without saving.

And you are misinterpreting these complaints as revolving around the boss's actual difficulty. They're not. It's the nature of figuring out how to damage it in the first place that has riled up some people, and this is a valid complaint.

There is a definite issue there, and we knew it was an issue before we even released, we just didn't have the time to fix it and figured a boss that might be a little bit too difficult to figure out is better than no boss at all.

Any reasoning why he's called Brak Eggman instead of something that makes sense like the name the OVA's Dub gave him? Robo-Robotnik?

Well, he's called Brak Eggman because that's the original name. "Brak" is simply Engrish for "Black". That good ol' r/l Japanese confusion strikes again.

Personally, I've never even seen the dub.

Well, he's called Brak Eggman because that's the original name. "Brak" is simply Engrish for "Black". That good ol' r/l Japanese confusion strikes again.

Personally, I've never even seen the dub.

Why can't we call it black eggman?

Anyways, I frowned at how the game was just too challenging for kids. I let my 7 year old brother play, and saw him go through certain things in CEZ2. And he couldn't beat DSZ2.

Hmm... I think you should make it easier, as I seen kids in netgames also who get lost in Arid Canyon zone.

Why can't we call it black eggman?

Anyways, I frowned at how the game was just too challenging for kids. I let my 7 year old brother play, and saw him go through certain things in CEZ2. And he couldn't beat DSZ2.

Hmm... I think you should make it easier, as I seen kids in netgames also who get lost in Arid Canyon zone.

Uh, too challenging for kids? Seriously? The game isn't that hard.

Need I remind you how insanely hard the games we played as children were. SRB2 is downright easy compared to the NES library, and we somehow managed to beat those games back as children.

I feel that the single-player game is very challenging. However, I see this as a plus for the game. It should take a very long time to finally beat the game.

However, admittedly, there are some things that could be toned down, mainly in the later levels. It’s rather frustrating to be killed by something you could not reasonably be expected to know is a threat.

Last edited:
Need I bring up my current issue with the game?

If you would like to, then actually bother to do so, instead of posting worthlessly.

Anyways, I am very much satisfied with this release. So much has been added to the single player campaign and it's a much richer experience as a result. Egg Rock was unprecedented in how ambitiously it was designed. Just swept me off my feet, that stage.

I don't play multiplayer aside from co-op, so I can't speak for that...

[calm tone]ok, My current issue with the game is with Special stage 7, the stage itself is passable with Knux, Beatable with Tails, and Infuriating with sonic. I feel that Stage was poorly designed with the Low Ceileng and Near impossible jumps. I would of handled the wide jumps just fine if the Low Ceiling section was just the moving platforms and a Higher Ceiling.[/calm tone]

Once again Glaber, the entire point of SS7 is to be difficult for Sonic players. We're going to make you earn Super Sonic, dammit, we're not going to hand it over on a silver platter.

The gimmick would be brilliant if the stage didn't center around it. What I don't like about it is that it expects the player to make the same asinine jump about ten times in a row with just a little variation at the edges, with the slightest mistake resulting in instant failure. Sure, it's difficult, but going through the tedious process of getting the token over and over and over again should be far more worth it than feeling like you wasted your time at every attempt where you fail the same part of that special stage.

Here's a concept, make the last special stage fun; make it harder than what we have now, I don't care, but I want to laugh at all of my deaths, not grow more disheartened because of them. Use some psychedelic gimmicks like reverse gravity or floating blocks of water, and vary them up for the last stage. If it's as masochistic as what we have now, then I'm sure it will feel just as rewarding to get that last emerald, yet at the same rate the player probably won't want to bite off the head of the asshole who designed the last stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back