Super Mario Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrow said:
It's the hidden star in Good Egg Galaxy (the first major area). I forget which star you have to choose to get to it (IIRC it may be the one that ends with you inside that giant cylinder), but halfway through the level you need to feed a Hungry Luma something like 40 Star Bits, and then he turns into a Sling Star that shoots you off to a small planet that's basically a stone bust of Yoshi's head. Getting the star simply involves getting rid of all the Goombas walking around the head.

Actally, that would be the Space Junk Galaxy, and in order to get the hidden star there which is *Yoshi's unexpactly appearance? (Dunno, need to look again.)*, select the 3rd main star which is the one you fight that one big spider thing that shoots acid.

I have 101 stars. But my Wii is acting up and cutting off on me after an hour so I can't play it as much.

I have gotten my 120 stars and once you beat the game again after having 120 stars you can unlock luigi and play as him. Then you have you beat the game with Luigi after you did everything with Mario. I have 10 starts with luigi and I just got 120 stars.

Just a question.

Do you have to collect a hundred coins like in the other Mario games to get a star for each galaxy?

The Gusty Garden Galaxy music was EPIC.

Anyway I already said the two flaws but you don't feel like playing it anymore when you're playing Luigi because you have to beat the game again.

Avi said:
Just a question.

Do you have to collect a hundred coins like in the other Mario games to get a star for each galaxy?

You do, but they're specialized. They're not normal coins you're going after, they're Purple Coins placed in pre-set spots in the level. Some levels have them spaced throughout (much like Super Mario 64 style 100 coin stars), while others are all located in one small section of the stage with a time-limit in effect to grab them all (these, IMO, are actually easier than the ones where you have to hunt them down). In a third case, a few stages do that "all 100 coins in a small area" deal but with no time-limit, but usually these cases have that "small area" being a slight bit larger than the time-limit ones, but still nowhere near as big as the entire stage.

The latter two methods are done that way because most of the Galaxy stages that are done with a bunch of mini-planets rather than one giant SM64-like area don't allow you to backtrack, so you'd have to get all 100 Coins in one shot or else start over, which would be pretty unfair.

I can do without most of the purple coin challenges. As I've said before on a blog, a purple comet with spring mushrooms = a shit sandwich. A lot of the purple coin challenges I really hate, because if you fall down a pit (which is pretty easy to do when trying to find every single coin), you have to start the whole thing all over again. No checkpoints or anything; you don't start with how many coins you left off. You just start over. It really pisses me off, because some of those coin challenges will take thirty minutes to complete on your first try IF you don't die, and if you just can't seem to find those three last coins in that one stage before you fall into a black hole, then that's 97 coins down the drain. Congrats, you get to spend another 15 minutes recollecting the coins.

Another minor thing I have to complain about is the powerups. You can't carry them through levels, and they're only used to complete certain missions; you can't just loaf around with Ice Mario. Plus, the time limits for Ice Mario and Fire Mario are pretty stupid. I get to sock enemies with a fire punch for five seconds, IF I have that much time after completing a puzzle that required the fire flower. I'd just enjoy dicking around with Flying Mario and Ice Mario where they don't belong, if for no other reason than strolling through levels in a different, more leisurely manner.

Damn, I could go for an Action Replay right now.

Thanks for answering my question.

One more thing.

Do the Purple Coin Challenges appear randomly, or is there a task to unlock them?

Well, having not played SM64, I was quite upset on the ice mountain coin challenge when Toad spelled out a 'LONG JUMP' and I thought he meant a triple jump off the edge... That level is so hard on one side, and so frustratingly repetitive on the other side. #_#

Urm... he did mean a crouch and jump while running right? >_>

JEV3 said:
Well, having not played SM64, I was quite upset on the ice mountain coin challenge when Toad spelled out a 'LONG JUMP' and I thought he meant a triple jump off the edge... That level is so hard on one side, and so frustratingly repetitive on the other side. #_#

Urm... he did mean a crouch and jump while running right? >_>

He did. There is a small mountain in the distance with a very tiny top and three coins up there that's a long jump away from the top of the mountain.

Blue Warrior's comments are interesting, because I didn't have near as many problems as he did with Purple Coin challenges. The worst was Toy Time, and that only took me three or four tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back