Why can't we roleplay on SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, people continue to do it, still. Roleplaying in Srb2 is impossible to stop because someone new comes along and then host a server with wads and Srb2City.wad. Roleplaying can't continue forever, I assure you. Eventually, it's going to stop. But if it still continues on, Cue, will you be able to shut the Master Server down for a day? That's the best I got.

The MS is back, but under controlled conditions. Plus, two other MSs are available.

http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?p=326143#326143

This means that srb2.org is running under a whitelist, meaning only specified people can host. Meanwhile, SigSev's master server is running on very few restrictions, meaning anyone can host and roleplay is allowed. Conic's MS functions much like srb2.org's used to, meaning anyone can host, but RP/hangout isn't allowed.

Is this win-win, or is it win-win?

uhh... I haven't been here a while but... I've been reading these posts and I think I need to say this...

Look. While everyone's on the subject, and I'm sorry if this sounds mean I'm not out to frustrate people but I think this should be said. You're gonna have problems. You'll ALWAYS have problems. It's like stores will always get robbed, currency will always be counterfeited, politicians will always be idiots and big-name companies will turn innocent dreams into filthy cash-cows. Sure you can up the surveillance, sure you can you can make copying money illegal but does it solve the problem? No. Sometimes, solutions barely push it back. You're always gonna have morons who don't know what Co-op games really are, you'll always have terrible RPers and even worse hangout areas and you'll always have god-awful mods and WADs that make your eyes bleed when you look at them. There is no permanent solution to everything and I think that, if the Admins would recognize this, they can save themselves alot of time trying to fix a problem that's always been here and always will be here. The problem of getting people to listen. Look, people are always gonna break the rules. Ask any cop who's worked for a few years, ask any AA consular, doctor, therapist, or just any honest person who's worked for a living. If people like the game, they will respect the game and maybe not follow every rule to the letter like not RP but set up a private server as a compromise and if people want the game to stay alive then they will report the people who break the rules. The best thing any Admin can do is enforce the rules by catching people on first report. It might seem like an endless problem and it might seem like there could be a better solution but you really are just creating more problems and even though it might be as efficient as we'd all like it to be, good ol' fashion law enforcement keeps things lively and simple.

And so what if people host private matches where they RP with a couple poor sobs that are simply looking to make their own little fun out of a game they love? The people who suck will have their little isolated world and the awesome-rockers of the RP world will have their own little isolated epic fun. I get that people think Sonic is all one straightforward level and, yes, it started out that way but the attraction to me about SRB2 is that it's more than 'go as fast as you can to beat the timer' and such. It's taken gaming to the next level for 'older' players. It's world has become more detailed and intricate for those of us who preferred games like Sonic Adventure for it's RPG-like playability and it's level design. The game has made Sonic evolve in such a way that it brings it to that next level so why shouldn't the players add their little something even if it's just acting out their character or getting really into Match games with crazy battle cries? If anything, I'd think the creator and Admins would endorse a little extra fun at no one's expense if it's kept isolated.

Blue Warrior, I think I agree with your solutions the most. Having multiple Master Servers is a good thing for different people. Variety often solves many problems.

Galefox said:
uhh... I haven't been here a while but... I've been reading these posts and I think I need to say this...

Look. While everyone's on the subject, and I'm sorry if this sounds mean I'm not out to frustrate people but I think this should be said. You're gonna have problems. You'll ALWAYS have problems. It's like stores will always get robbed, currency will always be counterfeited, politicians will always be idiots and big-name companies will turn innocent dreams into filthy cash-cows. Sure you can up the surveillance, sure you can you can make copying money illegal but does it solve the problem? No. Sometimes, solutions barely push it back. You're always gonna have morons who don't know what Co-op games really are, you'll always have terrible RPers and even worse hangout areas and you'll always have god-awful mods and WADs that make your eyes bleed when you look at them. There is no permanent solution to everything and I think that, if the Admins would recognize this, they can save themselves alot of time trying to fix a problem that's always been here and always will be here. The problem of getting people to listen. Look, people are always gonna break the rules. Ask any cop who's worked for a few years, ask any AA consular, doctor, therapist, or just any honest person who's worked for a living. If people like the game, they will respect the game and maybe not follow every rule to the letter like not RP but set up a private server as a compromise and if people want the game to stay alive then they will report the people who break the rules. The best thing any Admin can do is enforce the rules by catching people on first report. It might seem like an endless problem and it might seem like there could be a better solution but you really are just creating more problems and even though it might be as efficient as we'd all like it to be, good ol' fashion law enforcement keeps things lively and simple.

And so what if people host private matches where they RP with a couple poor sobs that are simply looking to make their own little fun out of a game they love? The people who suck will have their little isolated world and the awesome-rockers of the RP world will have their own little isolated epic fun. I get that people think Sonic is all one straightforward level and, yes, it started out that way but the attraction to me about SRB2 is that it's more than 'go as fast as you can to beat the timer' and such. It's taken gaming to the next level for 'older' players. It's world has become more detailed and intricate for those of us who preferred games like Sonic Adventure for it's RPG-like playability and it's level design. The game has made Sonic evolve in such a way that it brings it to that next level so why shouldn't the players add their little something even if it's just acting out their character or getting really into Match games with crazy battle cries? If anything, I'd think the creator and Admins would endorse a little extra fun at no one's expense if it's kept isolated.

Blue Warrior, I think I agree with your solutions the most. Having multiple Master Servers is a good thing for different people. Variety often solves many problems.

You caught my attention when you said ". If people like the game, they will respect the game and maybe not follow every rule to the letter like not RP but set up a private server as a compromise and if people want the game to stay alive then they will report the people who break the rules." I can't say that Rping a private server would do anything. People could join with 1P. They would still try to report the person, even if it's private. But, it wouldn't mean you wouldn't respect the master server if you didn't roleplay in a public server. Most people I know that are good players, tend to roleplay. SB, LXShadow, Instant Classic/ Improper Fraction, etc. It's the commen way of games; some people play it right and some play it right and add their own way. It sorta fails to see servers get filled with Roleplaying and the host gets banned because of the users.

If I haven't said this before, roleplaying exists because that is what some people want to use SRB2 for. Cue's master server should not be a default setting if it is not open to everyone for any use of SRB2.

FSX said:
If I haven't said this before, roleplaying exists because that is what some people want to use SRB2 for. Cue's master server should not be a default setting if it is not open to everyone for any use of SRB2.

It isn't, srb2.servegame.org points to Blue's MS.

I can't say that Rping a private server would do anything. People could join with 1P. They would still try to report the person, even if it's private. But, it wouldn't mean you wouldn't respect the master server if you didn't roleplay in a public server.

Why would someone be banned from the game for hosting on a private server? If it's widely accepted to keep RP servers off the Master Server and just host a private server by means of people joining an IP why can people still be banned from it? Or a better question: Why does anyone care if some noob reports people for doing something the administration clearly accepts?

They wouldn't, he never said they would. He said that some retarded nooblet would join the private RP and report them no matter if it's private or not.

They wouldn't, he never said they would. He said that some retarded nooblet would join the private RP and report them no matter if it's private or not.

Then why does it matter? He said that creating RP servers off the Master Server wouldn't solve the problem because some noob would still report them but if the host isn't penalized for it then why are people still claiming it doesn't help the problem?

Galefox said:

Then why does it matter? He said that creating RP servers off the Master Server wouldn't solve the problem because some noob would still report them but if the host isn't penalized for it then why are people still claiming it doesn't help the problem?

Fyrus said:
retarded nooblet

I rest my case.

That is a really unnecassery comment, as far as I have seen 90% of roleplayers aren't even users on the forums.

I don't see how 'retarded nooblet' rests your case. Why does it matter? They're just noobs. Everyone ignores them. Why does it matter that they exist? They exist everywhere! You can't possibly, with any logical sense of mind imply the only way to resolve this is for retarded nooblets to stop existing, which it sounds like you're implying. If you really believe that then you must have a problem with every online game in existence because there's no way to do that.

Because men don't role play. //The average user on these forum seems like a serious loser in real life, no offense.

Why does THAT matter? I'm not talking about IRL, I'm talking about HERE. Where the rules for what's cool and what isn't are backwards anyway. And FYI, alot of people roleplay. Everyone I know does some kind of it and I find it highly unlikely you'll find someone on the internet with the same mind and if the forums are so 'uncool' than why are you on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back