Why can't we roleplay on SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... Roleplaying... I used to do it, and got my ass banned as a result. I now realize its a total noobfest, and that they're just plain unfun unless someone who has some decent experience hosts one. And besides, the point of a sonic game is go as fast as you can to the goal, not hang around and waste time. If you want to roleplay, either do it privately, or just go somewhere else.

Yeah, RPing in SRB2 sucks, but there's something I'm not certain people have tried.... Now I don't use Ventriliquit Speaker Chat (or whatever it's called) but doesn't that allow you to play the game and chat with people through easier means that text? That possbily makes RPing somewhat fun in SRB2. Then again..... Some idiot would screw it all up. Speaking of that....

Final Edition of SRB2.... Will it include the ability for that SpeakerChat thing with the game or would we have to download them seperately?

GREG THE CAT said:
Final Edition of SRB2.... Will it include the ability for that SpeakerChat thing with the game or would we have to download them seperately?
That sounds like it would be a good addition to SRB2Live......

Hey, Cue!

No. It will not have voice chat integrated. Use a program that is designed for that stuff instead. Once TeamSpeak 3 comes out (Which I hope is soon...), then things will get interesting. Don't even count on integrated voice-chat though. It takes a lot of coding and time to get stuff like this working.

It would require JTE to be awesome with the Teamspeak SDK, but other than that there's no chance. Public voice chat the MStards know about doesn't sound too appealing to me, to be honest, I'd rather not listen to a 10 year old tell me how to play the game.

The 2009 SRB2 Dictionary said:
MStard (em-ess-tard or muss-tard) noun,

One who ventures mainly through the master server, never using the message board or #srb2fun. Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessarily an insult.

Nooo, don't use TeamSpeak/Ventrilo, make us Linux users over here have easier lives plus having REALLY nice features and use this!

Not everyone has IRC, and if I would have had to get IRC just to be able to communicate during a netgame, I wouldn't really enjoy it.

Exactly. I am not saying that Mumble is pure shit. It just doesn't have the features that most people in here use. What about the folks who have a broken mic or no mic at all and want to text chat to the user playing music or something? Can't do that in Mumble.

Honestly, Ventrilo is an alright program, but it has horrible licensing crap. TeamSpeak is much better with that, but since the current program is so old, voice quality and such is poor.

Mumble is starting to get better, but if it gets text-chat support in, I would consider if we want to use it or not.

Right now, TS3 seems to be the answer if it ever comes out this year.

Now, unfortunately, this is not part of the main topic so we need to get back on topic.

I don't have a problem with it aside from the fact that it's a suckfest. It's just that SRB2's netgames are mostly populated by retards.

Spazzo said:
Mystic said:
however I wouldn't mind having the game default to not being able to connect to the master server and force the player to type in an address for a master server in-game

I laugh at that. Since when did creating one problem solve another? You can't just remove the MS address from the config by default and expect things to be better. You'll end up having to make 200 topics explaining how to set up the MS properly, and you're just creating more of a hassle for the end-user. That, and it only takes one trip to config.cfg to solve that, and render your "solution" useless.

Yes, I am quoting myself. Why, you may ask? Because my point proved itself:

http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=17191

Now imagine how many times you'd have to deal with that in a day if we cleared the MS URL from the default config.

Fixing one problem by creating another will simply not work. After a while, you'll be sick of having to deal with that sort of topic that it won't be worthwhile anymore, which is why I suggest nuking the MS to eliminate ALL stress created by it.

You would get just as many posts saying "How do I host by IP?", so that doesn't really help there. Plus there are many people who can't host without the master server even if they did do all the setup tasks correctly. Mystic is one of the people that can't host without the master server.

The purpose of having it blank would be good for people who want to choose their own master server, it would give more incentive to people that actually want to make a master server that would allow for hangouting.

I rather see some sort of filter on the ms screen, so that way the people who want to play srb2 can filter all the hangout games so they aren't seen. It might be worth a shot to try at least.

I assume that could be achieved through the addition of a "Hangout" GameType, essentially Tag with no recorded scoring.

Torgo said:
You would get just as many posts saying "How do I host by IP?"

Well, whoever needs to learn how is obviously new to internet gaming, but it's a legitimate argument.

Plus there are many people who can't host without the master server even if they did do all the setup tasks correctly. Mystic is one of the people that can't host without the master server.

Easily fixable. Output your WAN IP and port # used to host on the "Host game" screen. Perhaps we can even add a "send to clipboard" button for easy copypasting.

I'd rather see some sort of filter on the ms screen, so that way the people who want to play srb2 can filter all the hangout games so they aren't seen. It might be worth a shot to try at least.

SRB2ME sports a "Sort By" option for netgames, which can sort via ping, players, or gametype. We could make an option that filters out roleplaying maps, but that would mean restructuring the MS to allow for it.

Torgo said:
The purpose of having it blank would be good for people who want to choose their own master server, it would give more incentive to people that actually want to make a master server that would allow for hangouting.
This is the key to my point.

We would simply have a sticky for "Official Master Server Information", that explains the rules of the MS, and THEN explains how to get on. It could also link to topics for setting up your own MS as well as alternative master servers to use to connect.

The best part about this method is that it makes sure that the users understand what the master server is and what the rules are before they're even able to get in. A simple sticky solves most of the problems you have with my plan, Spazzo.

Mystic said:
It could also link to topics for setting up your own MS as well as alternative master servers to use to connect.

The problem with alternatives is that barely anyone has the facilities to host their own MS 24/7, Blue Warrior can but that's because he has a VPS, we can because we have a dedicated server, but apart from that there aren't many people. There's no point in having a list of master server if they're going to be down half the time.

Cue said:
Clans are banned because we end up with servers that are clan recruitment servers (not playing the game) and clan training where they ban anyone who isn't in their clan.

RP is banned because, if you've seen what they're like around here, the RP is usually of poor quality and we get flooded with them so much that people wanting to find a proper game can't actually find one.

@SSS*: It's more than just the MS hosted on here, we have a Gmod server, CSS server, L4D, TF2, SRB2 and I've been meddling with a ut2004 server. =P. The MS doesn't actually use masses of bandwidth, to be honest, even if it did we have 1.5tb to play with so hey.

I forgot about the other servers, Cue; and also, I never said it uses masses of bandwith, I said it's a waste of bandwith.
If you read it correctly, [Laughs}.

Cue said:
Mystic said:
It could also link to topics for setting up your own MS as well as alternative master servers to use to connect.

The problem with alternatives is that barely anyone has the facilities to host their own MS 24/7, Blue Warrior can but that's because he has a VPS, we can because we have a dedicated server, but apart from that there aren't many people. There's no point in having a list of master server if they're going to be down half the time.

Then obviously, only link to master servers that are reliable. If SigSev and SRB2.org are the only master servers around, then so be it; you don't need seven master servers for a part of the community that wants one thing and a part of the community that wants the other. Personally, I think the community would be in good shape with just two or three master servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back