Suggestions

How about it just doubles the amount of rings a super player will lose if the player holding the Black emerald shoots them?

MattW_CFI said:
  1. Quicksave, exit game.
  2. Make a copy of the quicksave file.
  3. Return to game.
  4. Reload save.
  5. Inevitably screw up and ragequit.
  6. Make a copy of the copy of the quicksave file, rename it to the original filename.
  7. Return to game, reload quicksave once again.
System subverted. Ergo, not happening.

And you can't think of a way to keep players from doing that?

• Make a new option on the menu, "Interrupt Save".
  • Warn the player that the game will automatically quit if he chooses to interrupt the game.
  • If the player agrees, the quicksave file is saved in the SRB2 folder. An interrupt save flag is saved as true in the gamedata. A hash of the quicksave is also stored on the gamedata.
  • When the game loads up, it checks the gamedata.
  • If the interrupt save flag is false, boot up as normal. If true, search for the quicksave file.
  • If not found, set the flag back to false and boot up as normal. If found, calculate the hash and compare it with the one stored in the gamedata.
  • If they don't match, inform the cheating bastard, set the flag to false and load up as normal. If they do match, ask the player if they wish to resume play from the existing interrupt save.
  • If the player disagrees, the flag and file are left as is and the game boots as normal. If the player agrees, the flag is set to false, the quicksave is loaded and the file deleted.
Subversion averted. You just have to be clever.

Or how about you guys simply play for the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to the next save point? Am I the only person who remembers the days when saves didn't even exist?

I suggested it because some people had a problem with the new save, and occasionally I just want to stop playing without repeating everything over.
I still think it would be nice to put in.

Mystic said:
Or how about you guys simply play for the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to the next save point? Am I the only person who remembers the days when saves didn't even exist?

I remember, but back them we also had Passwords and Continue Codes (Press a and Start, Super Mario Bro.s)

Mystic said:
Or how about you guys simply play for the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to the next save point?

Because some levels are as long and hard as hell and we don't HAVE 10-20 minutes to finish levels such as Eggrock Zone. :|

I like Neo's idea. Just because somene can think deeply into how to cheat to get out of a rough spot doesn't mean the feature shouldn't be put in for both those people AND people who actually are trying to play the game FAIR.

Also, may I remind you how there's a very easy way in Hex Editor to edit save files to have more lives? :U

If you can, why not just make the dang file encrypted or something?

Hyper Shadic X said:
For the love of all things good, PLEASE return the deleted S_Skin attributes, like ringslinger and such. Sadly, IMO this actually made Character Wadding WORSE. I know you're trying to prevent overpowered n00b Wads, but why not just freakin' delete those posts? It's limiting from making things like an accurate Eggman (i.e. firing missals). :|
Support +1, the man makes a good point. With the Releases Section under the new system, it'll be easier to find and eliminate these WADs.

Hyper Shadic X said:
Mystic said:
Or how about you guys simply play for the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to the next save point?

Because some levels are as long and hard as hell and we don't HAVE 10-20 minutes to finish levels such as Eggrock Zone. :|

I like Neo's idea. Just because somene can think deeply into how to cheat to get out of a rough spot doesn't mean the feature shouldn't be put in for both those people AND people who actually are trying to play the game FAIR.

Also, may I remind you how there's a very easy way in Hex Editor to edit save files to have more lives? :U

If you can, why not just make the dang file encrypted or something?
This whole question is hypothetical. I think most of us have already beaten the game. It's not THAT hard.

Mystic said:

I'm all for the new save system, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying "Just because we couldn't in the old days, we're not going to now." If it's made unexploitable, I'm all for quicksaves, especially in the case of crashes. Sometimes you've been playing for an hour, but need to leave urgently just before tackling the final boss, you know.

No matter how much we try, quicksaves would be exploited by someone. SRB2 isn't a portable game, so I don't see why you can't just pause it and come back to it later if you suddenly need to go do something. In the suggestion to save it to the gamedata.dat as well, then all you'd need to do is copy and backup both the quicksave AND the gamedata.

Quicksaves are exploitable. Always have been.

It would actually be easier to download a completed save off the Internet then exploit a protected quicksave :/

I can understand both sides to the argument. It only takes me five minutes to get through Egg Rock 2, the longest level in the game, not 10-20 minutes. But I can understand (heck, I've been through it) how pissed you might feel when the game crashes just when you've overcome that obstacle you failed to clear last time. Interrupt game saves don't seem like a good idea as a standard feature like in Majora's Mask (which is what I detailed), but if you apply the same concept to a crash recovery system, it's a godsend.

Random crashes have occurred in previous versions of SRB2, and if history repeats itself, they'll probably keep happening every other time. While I'd love to see the game completely patched of holes, what's the problem with having a safety net?

The quicksave would save exactly the same stuff that's carried over when you lose a life. The score, lives, continues, emeralds, last touched point marker and the time at which it was touched. So if the game is closed for whatever reason (crash, system crash, even a power failure) the game is resumed as if the player had simply lost a life.

If you're looking for an unxeploitable method of implementing this, get real. Everything is always exploitable by any means because the user can edit anything the game saves. It's just a matter of making it so hard, the effort it would take makes the outcome not worth it. Encrypt files, store stuff in the registry, give everything insane integrity checks. People are still going to borrow eachother's gamedata instead.

Chaos Knux said:
Hyper Shadic X said:
For the love of all things good, PLEASE return the deleted S_Skin attributes, like ringslinger and such. Sadly, IMO this actually made Character Wadding WORSE. I know you're trying to prevent overpowered n00b Wads, but why not just freakin' delete those posts? It's limiting from making things like an accurate Eggman (i.e. firing missals). :|
Support +1, the man makes a good point. With the Releases Section under the new system, it'll be easier to find and eliminate these WADs.

Their reasoning behind removing the S_Skin variables was for netgames, actually. The forums may be safe from such WADs, but netgames aren’t.

I propose these potential solutions:
- Any server that has a WAD with the forbidden attributes cannot be advertised on the Master Server.
- There could be a warning next to any server containing overpowered WADs.
- WADs containing the overpowered attributes are allowed in multiplayer. However, such attributes will be forcibly disabled in netplay. But they probably shouldn’t be disabled in two-player games.
- You could have a database of acceptable character WADs (files that have either been admitted into the releases section or have otherwise beein OK’d by the staff). If the server contains any character not in this list, it is not allowed on the Master Server (or has a warning next to it). This would require a continued effort for the staff, but it would be the ultimate safeguard against bad character WADs.

Joat said:
- You could have a database of acceptable character WADs (files that have either been admitted into the releases section or have otherwise beein OK’d by the staff). If the server contains any character not in this list, it is not allowed on the Master Server (or has a warning next to it). This would require a continued effort for the staff, but it would be the ultimate safeguard against bad character WADs.

1+ Dictatorship

Seriously though, that option is HARSH.

So how is the game supposed to determine what is overpowered and what is not?

It’s better than just removing the customization of character abilities altogether, like they did.

And when I speak about the overpowered attributes, I am talking about the things that they removed. Meaning, WADs with slingring, lightdash, or the like could not be advertised on the Master Server.

And keep in mind that, except for the third proposal, none of the options I proposed would prevent those attributes on netgames altogether. It would just prevent them from being on advertised netgames.

Mystic said:

The new save system is pretty good, but sucks when you play the game on your first try. Think Sonic 3 barrel, spending hours on it and no save to Act 2. D:

The modder probably puts a save variable in the level header. I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, but that variable only determines what the file name is called. When it saves is still purely hardcoded.

EDIT: Scratch. I was thinking of the MAINCFG variable. I do not know of a level header variable, though.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back