The Meaning of Life? (Serious)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen
Maou-Shin Daioka said:
I've always been curious, has the term "soul" referred to the human conscience?

And is there really such a thing as true "good" and true "evil", because I just view these terms as not being actual entities, but just ancient terms to try to justify one's actions back then.

And is there really a god out there? Has a god previously existed before this universe was formed? Who is to say this said god was not immortal, and died, long ago, even after the creation of this universe? These are questions that I would really want answered, or at least defined to some degree of logic, not the usual replies I hear from my family, "Believe and you shall see."

No offense to anyone to who was offended (and I don't see how)

God does exist and He is outside of time, so He could view everything at once and He is eternal. He also has always been even before the universe. There is a true good (God and His angels) and evil (Satan and his demons). The soul is the only thing that we take with us after we die, and it either belongs to Jesus or Satan. Some things I have said may be a little off, and if you really want to know more go read the Bible.

Joshthehedgehog said:
BlueZero4 said:
Me? I live in a God created world, living for the God that died for me on the cross.

I agree with this. Well actually it was Jesus that died on the cross for ALL of our sins.

I agree but these word but the words I just said and the ones above are opinion in a way (Not entirerly just so you don't get mad at me and say that blah blah blah) So if you do not believe in whatever religeon nobody is forcing you to do anything.

BlueZero4 said:
Me? I live in a God created world, living for the God that died for me on the cross.

You know. Even if he did create earth (not saying he didn't because I'm Mormon :mrgreen: ) there are other planets the he has created. It clearly state that in the doctrine and covenants, that there are more planets that god has created. I have a theory(kinda against my religion), On mars, there was an asteroid that hit the planet so hard the parts of it flew back off of the planet and some of it hit earth(thank you discovery channel), and our scientists found fossilized “germ sells” I guess you can call them. Anyway if that happened on some distant planet, then for all we know if God created that one and earth then we could be from an entirely different planet to begin with… Please don't start an argument though. It’s just a theory I thought up one day when I was bored...

The meaning of life?
The meaning of your life is the meaning you want to give to it.

In my opinion, God doesn't exist.
I don't want to start an argument on that, anyway, debating on it only leads to meaningless flamewars.

......To everyone that has replied with their beliefs in God, thank you, and may your faith be strong, I guess.

But that story just doesn't cut it for me, I've heard that tale too many times and have analyzed it in and out.

Me, I study Christianity in my spare time, and I have found some extremely disturbing revelations on what I would like to discuss here, but as what with tails92 said, let's not start a flamewar, no offense to people here, but counting as pushing your personal opinions on other people, but these are called the 'Jesus Myths', historical, real figures that have shared the same story as the Christian messiah, Jesus. His birth in December, his childhood, and his death. All these accounts have been found in many civilizations and societies, long before Jesus Christ was born, dating back to even 1200 B.C. (If you want a list of these historical figures, PM me.)

Not to belittle ANYONE's beliefs here, but after reading up on the history of the Christian religion, I have to say....most stuff you see in it.....is taken from many other religions of the past, nothing's that original.

Just one example, is the halo-esque object around people's heads who were important in the New Testament (i.e Mary, Jesus, Joseph, ect.)
I once thought the halo was taken from the Egyptian sun god, Ra, due to it's resemblence to Jesus' halo.
After looking extensively at pictures of both Ra and Jesus, I'd have to say, I believe that the halo ( or the sun, from Ra) was adapted into Christianity, in need of something to address Jesus as a son of god.

If you feel any questions on what information you are skeptical about, just PM me, I'll be happy to give you more information.

And just a little advice, don't react negatively to this and start a flamewar, it's not needed, all I did was explain somethimng simple, I'm sorry if I offended people in advance.

Maou I agree. There are a lot more examples that make me very sceptical about my religion (I am Christian).

Example:
1-Up said:
There is a true good (God and His angels) and evil (Satan and his demons).
The christian term of "sin"... It is not like god has devided the world into "good things" and "bad things". Most of all these moral partitionings are copied from the PERSIAN DUALISM. My history- and religion-teacher told me that it has been proofed, that a pope in the past (forgot his name) was fascinated by Zarathustra and integrated his ideas into the christian world. Zarathustra's ideas were meaningfull in his time, because they structured the society and kept it in order.
The Ten Commandments for example are not from Zarathustra, but were basically created to prevent the society from chaos, too. Of course we're totally agreeing that it is wrong to kill another person, but it wasn't that clear at all in times, when blood feuds were used to solve conflicts.

But some rules which were meaningfull in the past doesn't have to be still meaningfull in the future. This is the reason why so many texts are interpretated in a wrong way today...

So it is meaningfull today to analyse things to find out what they are and how they work, but not to put them into the "bad" or the "good" corner. It is inadequately for example to call the sea "bad", because there was a storm and some fisherman died. This might sound ridiculous, but there are people who think that way. :roll:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it is not only the example of the "good" and "bad" moral thing. It has been proofed that all the texts in the bible were written down by prophets in the past. Even if I would say that I believe in the intention of the texts as they were meant in the time of these prophets, than I still had to agree that I believe, that they had visions, which directly has been sent to them from god...
And here is my problem. All these prophets were still human and humans sometimes do strange things. Who gives me the proof that they did not just tell something to the crowd to get attention?
And even if I WOULD believe that their so called "visions" came from god, then I had to agree that these visions would not be 100% the will of god.
Because:
"Everything we can imagine can not be godlike. Otherwise god wouldn't be godlike." my religion-teacher

The point I want to make is: The bible was created by humans and humankind is imperfect.
Humankind has to be imperfect. It is not only written in the bible... Humans are still proving that it is true...

And if I'm not correct, many people in historical times such as Jesus had terrible mental aliments, that could lead to serious, delusional babble on, just about anything, even religion at the time.

And, not too sure if this is really gonna spark up a flamewar of the century on this forum, but during the times of when the bible says Jesus lived, alot of insane zealots who had horrible mental afflictions were roaming around the country-side, claiming to be the son of god, the messiah. The Roman officers at the time probally just either jailed them or killed them for such ramblings, frankly.

And as for the whole Jesus existing thing, if technology were far advanced enough (and not used for killing each other in mindless battles like we are now,) I would love to be just one of the many people that would probally take the opportunity to travel back in time and actually see for myself if Jesus Christ really did live, and if he did, did he suffer from a serious, corroding mental illness, that caused him to have halloucinations of the like?

These are questions that I have asked many, many people on many ocasions, and the same answer has been the ones I have seen so far from most of you. Did you really think of what you were going to say when you answered my previous question, or did you know it like you were reading it off of a paper, clear, crisp?

I am a Quaker, and I choose to step out of this. The Iraqi Civil War was caused by a minor religious feud. Sunnis and Shiites have trouble between them selves because of who they thought should ascend to the position of Caliph, or head of Islam. Shiites believe that only the descendants of Mohammed should become Caliph, while Sunnis believe any devout Muslim can ascend to Caliph. Why can't we all get along?!?

There's proof that Jesus existed, Maou-Shin Daioka (Roman records, etc.... the Romans didn't care about him so why would they be biased?). The big question is whether he was God or not.

While what you're talking about could provoke some interesting discussion, it really isn't in the interest of this thread's direction.

Any way that you could show me these records, or dates of them, I'd like to believe you, but not without evidence, I'm afraid.

And who's to say he didn't suffer from a serious mental condition, many people during his time did.

I'm not saying whether he suffered a mental condition or not - all I'm saying is that it is definitely known that he WAS a person that existed.

I'm not going to bother looking it up for you when you've got the whole intarwebs at the tips of your fingers.

Maou-Shin Daioka said:
But that story just doesn't cut it for me, I've heard that tale too many times and have analyzed it in and out.
I, personally, agree that sometimes cold hard facts don't cut it. However, I've got a testimony, and, if given the incentive, will tell it here. And personal experiences are more real to us than cold, hard facts.

Maou-Shin Daioka said:
And, not too sure if this is really gonna spark up a flamewar of the century on this forum, but during the times of when the bible says Jesus lived, alot of insane zealots who had horrible mental afflictions were roaming around the country-side, claiming to be the son of god, the messiah. The Roman officers at the time probally just either jailed them or killed them for such ramblings, frankly.
Yes, you bring up a point. However, would you like to tell us why all these lunatics weren't documented in such detail?

sonicfreak94 said:
BlueZero4 said:

You know. Even if he did create earth (not saying he didn't because I'm Mormon :mrgreen: ) there are other planets the he has created. It clearly state that in the doctrine and covenants, that there are more planets that god has created. I have a theory(kinda against my religion), On mars, there was an asteroid that hit the planet so hard the parts of it flew back off of the planet and some of it hit earth(thank you discovery channel), and our scientists found fossilized “germ sells” I guess you can call them. Anyway if that happened on some distant planet, then for all we know if God created that one and earth then we could be from an entirely different planet to begin with… Please don't start an argument though. It’s just a theory I thought up one day when I was bored...
Yes, for all I can prove, you are correct. God created everything. However, it's not like it matters to the everyday life.

Morph said:
Maou I agree. There are a lot more examples that make me very sceptical about my religion (I am Christian).
I agree. What I do think is that something we need to strive for is an understanding of His word so that these questions can be answered.

Morph said:
But some rules which were meaningfull in the past doesn't have to be still meaningfull in the future. This is the reason why so many texts are interpretated in a wrong way today...
What? How? It still holds to fact that killing is sin. Breaking the ten commandments is sin. Bloodfeuds are sin that comes from anger. Christianity clearly opposes prolonged anger.

And Morph, I would personally ask you how your religion teacher can teach you religion? Christianity is a walk with God, not really something that we only learn about. Please, elaborate.

1. But the question here, I can't believe you, BlueZero, unless you do that.
There are hundreds of so called testimonies to such events and they are proven false. If yours is true, then tell me, or show me evidence. I just can't trust you on such a whim. Cold hard facts have answered most of humanity's questions, just because they can't do it now, doesn't mean it won't be able to, even if it takes 1000 years to do so.

2.And, BlueZero, why does every lunatic that the Romans seized have to be in detail? This makes no sense. And by the way, Jesus (if he was a lunatic,) was clearly said to be destined to be the next son of god in the bible, obviously to which the New Testament was chronicling about his life, not anyone else's. The New Testament are accounts of his followers, in their words, chronicling his life. Your statement was completely void.

3.I know I did not say this, but some rules that were acceptable back in the times of Jesus are absolutely barbaric now. There are many rules that I would like to use as an example, but I shouldn't here, it's not acceptable on this forum. And honestly, prolonged anger, don't see a problem with that, as long as you don't act on it, such as causing physical harm to someone that you dislike or irritates you. Unless it causes you stress that affects your health, don't see a problem. And why would youy listen to what a 4000 year old book says anyway, those people back then were brutally ignorant. Look how they treated women and children.

So...don't mean to put down your religion, but I don't see a point in believing in it because all it offers are tales: that's it.

No offense to anyone here. If you are, that's your problem.

How can you say all it offers is tales? That's something distinctive about Christianity. Christianity is a living word because of the freedom it offers from its stories. Every time, you draw something different, like drawing a theme from a book. That's something every other religion appears to stumble on: they use stories to illustrate the rules, leaving only one value.

Exactly. And the themes were not interesting, In the least.
Why follow rules to a culture you don't live in. Would you honestly listen to a desert-living, nomadic goat herder, who knows nothing about darn near nothing about how the nartural wolrd works and what happens in it, tells stories on how he thinks, and expects you to believe them as they were as real as you are?

Hogwash, I say.

I have nothing against the bible. I hate it when people try to convince me that the bible is more than just a 4000 year old book full of stories from nomadic, ignorant goat herders, when I know otherwise. I have no problem when people try to tell me about the bible. I hate it when people try to tell me about the bible,expect me to 'believe or burn in hell', and call me a heathen for not believing in it.

When someone threatens you without any evidence of harming you, why should you do what they say?

It is more than just a 4000 year old book. When you read about Abraham did you not see the faith he put in God, about to kill his only son? Can't you read any of the parables and feel a truth in them? Why can you say they are ignorant?

And your last statement, did I ever threaten you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back