Stuff to put in SRB2ME (DISCUSSION TOPIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't SRB2 have 65536 colors instead of 255 for the palette? It would make everything so much easier (along the lines of sprites, textures, etc., and fitting them in the palette). People could make richer versions of what I stated within the parenthesis...

Segmint said:
Why can't SRB2 have 65536 colors instead of 255 for the palette? It would make everything so much easier (along the lines of sprites, textures, etc., and fitting them in the palette). People could make richer versions of what I stated within the parenthesis...

1. Genesis Sonic games had palettes of 64 colours and came out looking very nice. SRB2 is supposed to be a representation of the classics in 3D, and has more than enough colours for that.
2. A palette requires people to be creative with textures through spriting. Anyone can nick a texture off the Internet and say "HAY GAIZ I MAED THIS LOOK GUD IN ARB7!!!!" but it requires skill to come up with good textures.
3. Getting all those colours would mean that we could just switch to OpenGL. And as that saying goes... "OPENGL SUX KTHXBAI"
4. I don't like having all those colours. I work better with a palette.
5. Various other technical reasons. XWE converts textures to Doom format. Doom format requires a 256 colour palette. 256 colours will end up being the same old thing SRB2 uses anyway, so why bother?

I'd still love to see SRB2 use variants of the colors for COLORMAP, though...Seriously, DooM increases the red for the palette within the PLAYPAL lump itself. Why SRB2 can't do the same is beyond me. Y'know, one blue-hued set, one red-hued set, one green-hued set, one yellow-hued set, etc.

Mint said:
Seriously, there should be a way to have several flags in a map without one disappearing forever (because you took two at a time). I suggest that this be fixed by disallowing the player from carrying one, or by a player grabbing two, and capturing two, and going to any open bases afterward (also, if the player presses the toss flag button, it should either throw both, or only one out of what the player has).

This brings up:

Sector Type - Flag Return (Red)
Sector Type - Flag Return (Blue)

It would work, however wouldn't we need excess programming...?

The point of the suggestions topic is to suggest things. I leave the programming to the people that may or may not actually put it in the game.

><

I have a question about the match maps. When you do a match map....some n00b host put respawn item time to 0 and then hog the auto-ring because of its location. Think that theres any chance of making saphire falls with more hiding spots? N00bs always hog the item boxes as well. Also, add black into the srb2 colormaps. They have grey, but not black. :( Besides that, think maybe there can be more types of powerup rings? And....A way to permannently ban someone from your server would be nice.

Add back the color black for Sonic and co. "ZOMG ITS A DARK MAP WE CANT SEE TEH CHEATER" isn't an excuse. If it's a dark map, I doubt you'll be seeing him anyway. You may also complain about things like color silver in snow levels for all I care.

Yeah, I agree that it's flawed logic. Naturally, it's going to take you a bit longer to notice a green Sonic hiding behind a bush than another colored skin, and same goes for white in snow backgrounds. I don't really think black should be kept out because people know how to use it to their advantage.

Well, if black is like......a really bad hiding in game mechanic before then......why not make it so that there is a blue outline or something...Or better yet make the colors so that like, make it shiny looking like grey in the areas that normally would be shaded, or......put white spots....Or none of these can be done because of what is explained in the link? I'm guessing the latter right? But meh, just a suggestion.

Boinciel said:
A new flag for objects, MF_VERTICALSCROLL. Instead of the sprites rotating horizontally (Sonic, Crawlas, etc.), they have sprites that move in a vertical yada yada yada
No. That goes in favour of OpenGL mode, for one, which is why AJ wouldn't do it, but it also will look really bad in some cases, especially when you're at ground level and the camera is looking over the sprite very slightly. Also, you don't really tend to look up and down that often except when you don't know what's over a cliff, or when you're in Match/CTF. And you can't look up and down in Software, like I said.

Also, it would be very hard to make in the current engine, and the sprites wouldn't have any way of knowing how to rotate vertically correctly. And also that would mean HEAPS more work for AJ.

And it looks fine as it does already. It gives SRB2 a unique feel, whether it's <descriptive noun> like in Software, or Paper Sonic like in OpenGL. I like both the way they are.

MF_VERTICALSCROLL is doable, the only problem with it is the massive loads of extra art it requires.

No, he doesn't mean both vertical and horizontal, he means only vertical, for stuff such as springs, that you usually see from above.

New idea just want discussed before put in suggestions topic

JTEBOTs in regular SRB2, but only as an unlockable feature or in alternate gametypes.

Example:

Match-no bots allowed
BOTMatch- bots to fight

Useful when MS is down and you want to play tag/match.

(Im not evading ban, my ban has miraculously vanished)

Kaysakado said:
No, he doesn't mean both vertical and horizontal, he means only vertical, for stuff such as springs, that you usually see from above.

Actually, I meant only for any objects that use the "See This Sprite For All Angles" trick. It wouldn't cause a massive increase in filesize, only as much as normal rotations take up. You'll end up with either horizontal or vertical scrolling, not both.

SSNTails said:
As for the crosshair thing... what about a 'negative' colormap? You know, like in an image program when you choose 'Negative Image'.

I like the idea as it would fix the problem with certain crosshair colors being unnoticeable... (I was wondering if that was an intentional handicap...) So long as its transparency isn't distracting...

Warpshade said:
Certain shades of grey mess negative up

As in ones that are real close to their opposites? I think most of the grey textures in SRB2 have enough different colors in them for it not to matter. (THZ and SA-THZ for example)

Chaos said:
The ability to look beyond the thok barrier, useful if you want to make hills and stuff to look nice.
You can already do this. There are two ways and I forgot who discovered them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back