New Nintendo HD Console "Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats with game systems and adding another number or letter to a new system.

Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS

Xbox
Xbox360

PS2
PSP
PS3

Wii
Wii U

Whats the U supposed to be in Wii U anyway?! Guess Nintendo likes to be different instead of putting a 2 on the end theres a U.

Wii = We
U = You
Wii U = there's a game out there for your family and yourself.

But honestly, I had the same reaction when I first saw the name. And I thought the controller was stupid when I first saw it. After the trailer, I got used to it.

I'm also happy to hear of Smash Bros being in both the Wii U and the 3DS.

Bleh, not impressed at all, "innovator" they say? The PSP can connect to the TV aswell, the internet browsing and other crappy aplications are nothing new for the people who've seen an iPod 4.

The only relativeley new thing I noticed was the simultaneous interaction of the control and TV, wich I don't find entretaining or revolutionary.

It is revolutionary because it is a console that has a remote that has a screen and gyro sensor. That is it. Every where I go I hear people complaining about Wii-U. What more do you guys expect? 4D gaming?

Where'd you hear that...?

It was explained at Nintendo's E3 yesterday. Here's the source saying that Super Smash Bros is gonna be developed for both 3DS and Wii U.

Dark Metal said:
What more do you guys expect? 4D gaming?

Seems like it... You can't please everyone unless it has stunning graphics and crappy game play. Oh, and it has to be a FPS, too...

I'm personally excited for this new machine. But, I didn't hear anything about it being backwards compatible with Game Cube or any other older games... Unless they plan on pulling a PSN and having you download them to play them on the machine. Not sure if they would do that, though since they didn't give too much info on it. If that's the case, I'm going to keep my Wii once it comes out so I don't have to buy the GC games I already own.

I didn't see a new console, I saw a new controller and updated hardware, other than that it seems like the Wii to a tee. The controllers look uncomfortable and the lack of multi-touch is very disappointing, since that means it's resistive and going to be pretty poor touch technology.

I didn't see a new console, I saw a new controller and updated hardware
...and that'd be the definition of a new console.

other than that it seems like the Wii to a tee.
You could use this argument for every console generation up, barring the 2D -> 3D jump we had with the N64/Saturn/PlayStation. All it really is is updated hardware and a new controller (except Sony, they rehash their existing controller - I mean, if it ain't broke...). Where's the excitement there?

The controllers look uncomfortable
A sentiment I actually do share, at least, but apparently they're really not. I was expecting the lack of grips on the sides to be a major downside, but thus far nobody's complained. In fact, the only complaint is that the buttons are too small.

and the lack of multi-touch is very disappointing, since that means it's resistive and going to be pretty poor touch technology.
You can't use a stylus with capacitive, which is something of a loss in and of itself. Fingers just aren't precise enough. No multitouch is naff, though. It'd be great if somebody figured out how to do a multitouch resistive touchscreen.

The Wii U can use Wii controllers, so use those if you're uncomfortable. IGN wrote about the Wii U touchscreen controller and they said its comfortable. (Grips on the back help it)
You can't use a stylus with capacitive, which is something of a loss in and of itself. Fingers just aren't precise enough. No multitouch is naff, though. It'd be great if somebody figured out how to do a multitouch resistive touchscreen.
This. I've played several Ipod touch games and my fingers just weren't accurate enough for some of the games. My finger also blocked what I was touching and it took up space around it so it was kind of hard to adjust my hand to aim.

Actually, you can get capacitive styluses, they exist and come with a lot of HTC phones.

I don't think anyone noticed this yet, but Wikipedia claims the Wii U shown at E3 to be a prototype, and that the design of the console and the controller might change throughout time. I'm not too sure if I want to beleive it or not, since it IS Wikipedia.

I don't think anyone noticed this yet, but Wikipedia claims the Wii U shown at E3 to be a prototype, and that the design of the console and the controller might change throughout time. I'm not too sure if I want to beleive it or not, since it IS Wikipedia.

Well, it won't come out until sometime next year, it's plausible that the version of the Wii U we're seeing is a prototype, and that the final version will be slightly different.

They generally don't show prototype stuff at E3, it was probably the console itself that was the prototype, since they were actually using a Wii.

They generally don't show prototype stuff at E3, it was probably the console itself that was the prototype, since they were actually using a Wii.

are you serious

I understand that you're mad about the Wii U somehow, but saying that it's a Wii is like saying that the Game Boy Color is the equivilant to the PS3.

Maybe the reason there is no backwards compatibility with Gamecube titles is because those titles will be on Virtual Console?

I mean, it makes sense, and it will make them money obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back