• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2SNK: A fighting game

Status
Not open for further replies.
[22:18:40] <@Rob> I've been reading the S3K/SRB2 mod topic.
[22:18:50] <@Rob> Every screenshot makes me ask this question:
[22:18:59] <@Rob> Why is there not VGM/GYM support in SRB2?

I am presuming you have a programmer that can deal with this. Having VGM/GYM tracks with this thing would be godly.

Because SDL/SDL_mixer and FMOD don't support VGM/GYM.

But we could be using .it and .mod files, right? Does SRB2 support that?

Well, to be fair, Rob, given that OGG supports seamless looping, they could probably just rip OGGs out of the existing VGM files...

Well, I grant that, but it's also a bit of work that's really unnecessary when you could just have the VGM music there.

Because SDL/SDL_mixer and FMOD don't support VGM/GYM.

I'm not totally familiar with how those work, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to add another sound library?

But we could be using .it and .mod files, right? Does SRB2 support that?
Yes, as I recall.

To be honest, the SEGA staff knew what they were doing when they made S3&K, and making this mod any better than the game itself would be impossible.

and making this mod any better than the game itself would be impossible.
Says who? We have all we need to do this mod: Currents, gravity, poles, sprites, soccing and modification ability. Just give them time and they'll make it...

Of course, those are words from someone who doesn't know how to use SRB2DB and XWE, so I might be wrong...

Actually you would need loops/corkscrews to make this as good as S3k&k as well.

Loops add only graphical improvements and they look ugly in SRB2. And no, I'm not putting up with anti gravity/light dash loops again, and I don't think the community will either.

Basicly, forget the loops. They don't have the same "wow" factor in 3D.

Who needs loops? They don't really add anything to the gameplay you know...

Actually, slopes and loops DO add gameplay. They allow for vertical movement without the need of jumping, and while loops might be a little graphic reward for doing well in the level (not breaking the flow and maintaining momentum) some of them do alow for some nice transitions, and the shift of speed from one axis to the other.

And yes, doing this is kinda a travesty considering the high quality of S3&K, which is why we aren't doing an EXACT port of it, rather, a reimagining of it in 3D.

Says who? We have all we need to do this mod: Currents, gravity, poles, sprites, soccing and modification ability.
You forgot to mention skill. We may have the materials, but if we can't use them correctly, then they're not of much use to us.

Who needs loops? They don't really add anything to the gameplay you know...

...Except it's the shining example of most of what the series is about; fast platforming, using speed as your superpower. So fast, you can DEFY GRAVITY, and make the very Earth your *****, as you run on the walls and even the ceiling as easily as running on the floor, and capable of using the loops to reach places no mere mortal human could accomplish with their normal abilities alone. A shuttle loop is the prime example of the Sonic series in a nutshell: Platforming with speed.

You know. That's all.

Buuuuut Doom makes crappy slopes and a zoom tube just ain't the same, so screw it. SRB2 has everything else.

Loops add only graphical improvements and they look ugly in SRB2. And no, I'm not putting up with anti gravity/light dash loops again, and I don't think the community will either.

Basicly, forget the loops. They don't have the same "wow" factor in 3D.

Loops would look even more awesome if the camera would rotate the pitch along with the player, effectively making it look like the player is still upright yet the world seems to be moving upside down in a loop fashion.

Think Hard Drivin', but in third person.

...Except it's the shining example of most of what the series is about; fast platforming, using speed as your superpower. So fast, you can DEFY GRAVITY, and make the very Earth your *****, as you run on the walls and even the ceiling as easily as running on the floor, and capable of using the loops to reach places no mere mortal human could accomplish with their normal abilities alone. A shuttle loop is the prime example of the Sonic series in a nutshell: Platforming with speed.

You know. That's all.

Buuuuut Doom makes crappy slopes and a zoom tube just ain't the same, so screw it. SRB2 has everything else.

I agree, loops would be nice, but if programming them would such a hassle that this takes forever to come out, I'll take some flat ground.
Also, WOOT FOR MAKING MIO(massive inanimate objects) OUR *****!

You realize we have an EXE for this, right? Any of the staff that's played looptest.wad can tell you that the loops are already much more than zoom tubes, and they're not even complete.

You realize we have an EXE for this, right? Any of the staff that's played looptest.wad can tell you that the loops are already much more than zoom tubes, and they're not even complete.

I know, but it's not done and released, now IS it?

Loops would look even more awesome if the camera would rotate the pitch along with the player, effectively making it look like the player is still upright yet the world seems to be moving upside down in a loop fashion.
You forget this is the software renderer we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back