• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Music Remaster Project

If these versions of the SRB2 soundtrack ever get officially used in the next patch or version or anything, I vote that they let us have an option to change which soundtracks we want, old or remastered.

GFZ1 & GFZ2 really grew on me. I think they sound quite beautiful. The boss theme sounds okay too.

I like the tracks, but I'd like to keep the original srb2 soundtrack for the new updates, this one feels a bit limited to a soundfont, like the genesis tracks, while the SRB2 tracks feel more "free" and not that limited.

I like the tracks, but I'd like to keep the original srb2 soundtrack for the new updates, this one feels a bit limited to a soundfont, like the genesis tracks, while the SRB2 tracks feel more "free" and not that limited.

The SRB2 tracks are also MIDI tracks made in the nineties. They're dated and I don't really like them.

I agree, I think the original SRB2 tracks are limited and way more repetitive. I really don't like for example the Invincibility track... it's too boring, it isn't catchy at all and it's nothing like the main game theme (unlike Classic Sonic games or at least the majority). I'd like Blue Warrior instead of remaster it would do a new one like the awesome Super Sonic theme where only has the beginning from the main theme and then it becomes epic.
I'm still feeling that the Boss theme needs a redoing, though.

In the future, what I will probably try to do is get a hold of some of SSNTails' instruments as well as some of the instruments from S-YXG50. With that I should be able to keep it more in line with the sound of the old soundtrack while still having the updated improvements.

The music pack is in submissions at the time of writing this. If any of you are using oggs from here, please get the new oggs from the releases forum once it comes out. Most of them have received minor updates, and all of them have been optimized for smaller filesize.

This might be an exception, as it's not like most instances*, where someone just grabbed MP3s/OGGs of existing music and put them into SRB2, but instead, Blue Warrior remade all the tracks in SRB2 himself.

Or it'll get rejected.

*based on what I can gather. It seems like all those mods were banned because they are simple and basic and effortless.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would make sense if there's an exception if you make the music in the wad yourself. But I think I remember skybase allowing music wads, so that's the place to post them I guess.

Yeah, it would make sense if there's an exception if you make the music in the wad yourself. But I think I remember skybase allowing music wads, so that's the place to post them I guess.

The Skybase allows it, but it won't get as much traffic as the MB. I posted a music wad there and it got downloaded...twice? :/

The default oggs were made by running the midis through SSNTails' SW60 synthesizer. Mine are made by running them through Propellorhead Reason 4.0.

To my knowledge Reason isn't actually capable of using any soundfonts or VSTIs. What I use are the programmable synthesizers built into Reason, some subtractor, some sample based.... I can plug anything that's wav into one of the sample-based synthesizers and mess with modulation, filter, and volume envelopes. It also has a number of effects which have their own output controls. What that basically all means is that I can actually make almost any sound I want. If the sound isn't good in one of my renditions, it's either because I didn't do a good enough job on creating it, went a weird direction in the sound design, or I didn't have the right samples for it.

Last edited:
Hey, glad you got the midi to work! Any idea what was crashing it?

Some pointers:

* The first two bars are actually supposed to be a slightly slower tempo than the rest of the tune. (I think it switches from 162 to 172)
* Some of the volumes are out of whack, particularly the piano slide and the right-panned lead.
* I'm not sure if the strings instrument midway through has enough attack.
* I kinda miss that 16th-note run. :p Although the flute run is a nice touch.

It's also worth noting that a lot of my melody instruments have automated vibrato, so it won't be in your midi unless you add it yourself. It's sort of an optional detail though.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back