New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't thing the engine's going to be that faithful to the classics, probably because Yuji Naka, who primarily programmed the engine in the first 3 games isn't doing it.

But it'll probably be pretty close.

TBH I'm still not seeing where everyone's getting all their complaints from, it looks like a bunch of useless crap they're complaining about to me.

Eh, Advanced didn't do so well with the levels, they felt like a chore to play.
Adv. 2 had a terrible engine, and levels.
Adv.3 runs off of Adv. 2's terrible engine, but actually has good level design. Engine based on pure speed doesn't mix well with Adv. 3's actual platforming.
Rush had terrible physics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCGiEIncR7w, and terrible level design.
Rush Adventure practically did nothing to fix any of the problems Rush had and threw in some bad mini-games.

If they actually make this game good, I'll like it; but seeing how a disliked all of their attempts at making a Sonic game, I really have little hope.

Rush Adventure did something major to improve on the previous games, actually. They removed most of the bottomless pits from the stages, which is a gigantic boon in making the game more playable. SAd2 and Sonic Rush especially were the kings of dashing directly into a pit without warning.

Adv. 2 had a terrible engine, and levels.

Most people (er, Sonic nuts) are surprised to hear that I actually really like Advance 2. I think the reason why the engine and level design get a bad rep is because people think about them in terms of more traditional Sonic platformers, in which case I will admit that yeah, the worst parts of the game are the traditional platforming sections (the boss stages, which I personally find to be as innovative as heck, can also be tedious).

But that isn't what Adv. 2 is all about. Sonic Advance 2 is all about immense speed, twitch controls, and an emphasis on knowledge of level design. Sure, you can simply plow your way through levels and survive, but to flourish and get the Special Rings and Chaos Emeralds, you must be alert and exploit each level's obscure pathways and wonderful range of gimmicks. It's less forgiving that any other Sonic platformer, (in S3+K, miss a jump to that Special Ring, and you can generally recover. Miss that Special Ring in Adv. 2 and you won't be entering the Special Stage) and while some might consider that to be unfair, I find it to be immensely thrilling.

So yeah, you're gonna hate Sonic Advanced 2 if you approach it with the preconceived standards you do with the classic platformers, Adv. 1 and Adv. 3. But accept Sonic Advance 2 as the dark horse it is in terms of gameplay, and you'll have a ton of fun. It does its own thing, and extremely well for the most part, IMO.

That's to say nothing of the game's absolutely gorgeous visuals and music (which, for my money, rival S3+K's and completely overshadow the relatively atrocious/bland Adv. 3), and plethora of extras, including the best Tiny Chao Garden of them all.

That is all, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Which is why I don't exactly like Adv. 2 much; it was too much about speed and twitch controls, and not enough anything else (and quite frankly I hate how the Special Stage Tokens are laid out in ways that you miss them you have to try again the next time you play, and how you have to collect all 7 or them, or no special stage [which I also hated with a passion, nice to see Zero again though] for you: it truly made getting to the final boss harder than it should be).

It was something different; I'll give you that.

Sonic Advance 2, I didn't really like either. But they were going a totally different direction with that game.

But don't you think we can make a different topic about this? I'd rather talk about Sonic 4.

Nintendo Power Magazine said that in a few months, I think, they'll be talking about it and it could be on WiiWare only possibly.

Yeah. Say, anyone hear the music for Splash Hill? I haven't tried to listen for it yet.
Sounds a bit short, but otherwise it's up to the standards that the title music and whatnot have. If you like the title music, then, y'know.

Nintendo Power Magazine said that in a few months, I think, they'll be talking about it and it could be on WiiWare only possibly.

Looks like your logic's wrong. It is definetely confirmed for 360/PSN/Wiiware and one other I forgot. Wiiware is not the only one that is coming out on.

Double post, but news

Yes, Dimps is working on the game. But there's actually more to it than just that: at the same time, we also have members of Sonic Team, including the original senior level designer from Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the SEGA Genesis working alongside them. It is most definitely a partnership, and the result of this teamwork is something many of us are excited for.

WTF
Sonic3&K level designer?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back