Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd encourage you to do that even if filesize wasn't an issue, because on low-end machines turning off digital music can generate a surprisingly significant performance boost.

Okay, how about this:

TP_Assets.wad
scr_TorturedPlanetSP.wad
mt_TorturedPlanetMP.wad
TP_Mus.wad

This way, you can update just the single player stuff and people wont have to redownload the other parts every time, or opt out parts they won't use.
This would be way too much, not least because it would mean a lot of unknown textures should the assets file not be included. But at Cue's request, I will separate the music. And I suppose that putting MIDI versions in the base WAD is a good idea too.

Now, the way this would work, the MIDI would play by default unless the music WAD is added in, right?

Last edited:
Now, the way this would work, the MIDI would play by default unless the music WAD is added in, right?
That's correct. First it'll look for an OGG, and if that can't be found, it'll look for a MIDI. If it still can't find anything it just won't play music at all.

I suggest a wad for the Match rotation, a map for the single player rotation and one for the music. That's done.
I will not split Tortured Planet beyond the music. Again, I don't want to make it possible to load a level without any of the necessary assets.

Easy solutions, you can thank me later with cash:

-- There is no need for a batch file; just insert a script into the TP WAD that, upon it being added, immedeately tries to add the music pack. If it can't find it, the only damage is a console error message. (right?)

-- Use 7-Zip (google it) to pack up the files in self-extracting .7z files (like the SRB2 download) for absolute maximum compression. If the kiddos are too stupid to figure out how to run a simple .exe or two, it's their own fault ;)

There is no need for a batch file; just insert a script into the TP WAD that, upon it being added, immedeately tries to add the music pack. If it can't find it, the only damage is a console error message. (right?)
That would need testing, because there is a freeze when it tries to addfile something that isn't there for a bit, which probably would cause consistency failures in netgames.

Use 7-Zip (google it) to pack up the files in self-extracting .7z files (like the SRB2 download) for absolute maximum compression. If the kiddos are too stupid to figure out how to run a simple .exe or two, it's their own fault ;)
We don't actually allow uploading of EXE files for a few reasons. RAR should be more than enough, really.

I found yet another floor acting as a death pit, causing death when landing on it. Its in Snowcap Nimbus Act 1, when there's a split path to the 2D room and a regular room, continouing on the regular room will eventually lead to a room with purple walls. You with me? After this, there's a room with an ice castle of some sort. Before using the spring to get on the ice castle's platform, on the floor the spring's on and the sinking oil is right near you, on a blue colored "floor/platform" connected to the floor is where the "glitch" happens. It causes death while landing on it...
(I really need to use how to put screenshots on the messageboard. I took some screenshots of the place, I'd show you if you'd teach me.)

Well I'll see if I can explain how to put them on Imageshack & link to them on the fourms.
Put in Spoiler Tags to avoid clogging up the topic.
1)Go to www.imageshack.us
2)Select browse when the page loads & select your picture file.
3)Select Upload.
4)When the upload is complete you'll be shown the image with a bunch of codes beneath it.
5)Find the Fourm Code & copy & paste that into your post with
tags around it.
6)Cut down the URL until it is something like this http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4979/knucklestheechidna2.png
Hope that helps. If it doesn't or if it fails to work. Blame me for being a rubbish explainer.

Just for the record. Here's the image I uploaded
knucklestheechidna2.png

Last edited:
Brak eggman is glitchier than you think!

In Star Showdown, if you land the sixth hit on the boss with a missile while it is high up in the air, it will do a double jump, miss the platform it was supposed to land on and die in the lava.
srb20008n.png

I have known about that problem for months. But I can't think of any way to fix it. In any case, it only means one less hit you need to deal to the boss, so it's not a massive problem.

Bosses actually get hit while touching lava...? I don't get it much... A lot of badniks I've seen go trough lava, like the Eggmobile...

Oh, only bosses? I remember seeing some Crawla Commanders bouncing on deathpits...
Also @Sponge, It's the final boss, after all. I don't expect it to be easy, do you?

Did I ever give my opinion on this pack?
Anyway. I enjoyed Tortured Planet, nice level pack, & then I reached Spacewalk Zone... Ugh... The definition of tedious... & what's with that Instant Kill blue floor puzzle? =-/ Feels cheap. I've not being able to play AAZ fully (I'm too lazy) although I do like how Star Showdown Zone's pinch state works.
Nice pack Fawful.
(Off topic: Thanks for making the Bleech Bouncer as well.)

EDIT:
Also @Sponge, It's the final boss, after all. I don't expect it to be easy, do you?
Yeah I know. It's just looks a bit misleading. Thinking the Ring will protect you then bang! Ya die.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back