Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
We may have had one of these before. I don't know. But here it goes:

Slumber Circuit Zone - long drillfest
Hydro Plant Zone - no fun to be in water, which is most of level
Sonic Circuit Zone - flat thokfest
Castle Eggman Zone Act 2 - bad button gimmick
Mario Koopa Blast Zone Act 3 - just really boring and ringless

I love how people hate CEZ2 while it's going to be removed anyways, how they hate levels for having too much of something if that's the theme, and if it's only good for Sonic.

I know CEZ2 will be fixed.
Hydro Plant's theme just isn't a good one.
Check my sig and you'll find a Sonic-only level that I love.

Nightmare Cenz said:
In Match:
Hydro Plant /Reason: annoying map
In CTF:
Lime Forest /Reason: The Little lake
In Race:
Sonic Circuit /Reason: too small
Slumber Circuit /Reason: I hate the "night-system"

Slumber Circuit isn't bad because it uses the NiGHTS system. It's bad just because it's a slow, long drillfest. I honestly think my Wacky Track Zone from last contest is significantly better.

The problem with Hydro Plant is that you have to focus both on not drowning and not getting killed. For coop levels the gimmick works, because not drowning implies advancing in the level, but for match it doesn't :/

GFZ3 kinda sucks, too plain.
THZ3 is too hard/risky to thok at Eggman with Sonic, making it far too hard for a sixth level.
CEZ1 sucks because you can't find out where to go.
CEZ2 sucks because the button idea...sucks.
CEZ3 sucks because normal enemies just don't fit in boss levels.
MKB1 sucks because it's practically a maze with no resemblance to SMB.
MKB3 sucks because there's almost no coins.
SHZ sucks because the NiGHTS feature in SRB2 sucks.
SAE sucks because the SA feature in SRB2 sucks.
RVZ sucks because it gets bland after a while.

I think the SA feature is fine. Why? Because I always use Analog Control.
Adventure Example is lame because it's just an example.
NiGHTS mode itself is pretty good here.

Triangle Trumper said:
Actually most of the effort should go in the boss itself, not the surrounding layout.

Triangle Trumper said:
THZ3 is too hard/risky to thok at Eggman with Sonic, making it far too hard for a sixth level.
It's a lot easier than you think, even thoking. Just be careful if you're in a netgame and you have lag :P

Sik said:
The problem with Hydro Plant is that you have to focus both on not drowning and not getting killed. For coop levels the gimmick works, because not drowning implies advancing in the level, but for match it doesn't :/

I've been playing HP a lot, and people usually stay away from the water unless they have a Liquid Shield. Sometimes, you'll get someone who goes underwater to grab the bomb ring and then spring up. I guess that's the strategy intended, since apparently I pwn in that level *usually*.

Triangle Trumper said:

It's the first boss in SRB2. Cut some slack.

Triangle Trumper said:

Really, all you need to do is just stand on the Egg Slimer's track and jump when Eggman is above you. Not particularly difficult.

Triangle Trumper said:
CEZ2 sucks because the button idea...sucks.

I'll give you that with CEZ2, at least. The button idea is good for secrets (like Sunken Plant), not good when the whole level revolves around switches to clear it.

Triangle Trumper said:
CEZ3 sucks because normal enemies just don't fit in boss levels.

So you're not taking into account the original Sonic boss levels. Yeah.

Triangle Trumper said:
MKB1 sucks because it's practically a maze with no resemblance to SMB.

Pipes + Fire Flowers + Goombas + ? Blocks = resemblance to SMB. Do the math! *shot*

Triangle Trumper said:
SHZ sucks because the NiGHTS feature in SRB2 sucks.
SAE sucks because the SA feature in SRB2 sucks.

And you didn't say why.

Well, other than the obvious Castle Eggman in its entirety:

Metal Star Zone - God, is it impossible to defend the flag in this zone. Scoring is basically total luck.
Dual Fortress Zone - Frikken homing ruins perfectly good maps.
Iron Turret Zone - I really don't know how this stinker manages to stay around for so long. Useless camping points and an open field. This isn't Demo 4 anymore.
Conveyor Chaos Zone - Long, boring, and no detail. I have no clue what I was thinking when I put this into the rotation.
Zim's Base Zone - Really cool design, but it doesn't change the fact that it's basically an open room.

Finally, I know I'll take flak for this, but I quite Hydro Plant Zone. I frequently go underwater and rarely drown, even without the Liquid Shield. It just requires paying a little attention to what's going on and making sure to pick up air whenever it's convenient. If you ARE going to drown, start running towards the springs.

Mystic said:

Metal Star Zone - God, is it impossible to defend the flag in this zone. Scoring is basically total luck.
Iron Turret Zone - I really don't know how this stinker manages to stay around for so long. Useless camping points and an open field. This isn't Demo 4 anymore.
Conveyor Chaos Zone - Long, boring, and no detail. I have no clue what I was thinking when I put this into the rotation.
Zim's Base Zone - Really cool design, but it doesn't change the fact that it's basically an open room.

Finally, I know I'll take flak for this, but I quite Hydro Plant Zone. I frequently go underwater and rarely drown, even without the Liquid Shield. It just requires paying a little attention to what's going on and making sure to pick up air whenever it's convenient. If you ARE going to drown, start running towards the springs.

I agree with everything you said apart from zim's base as that is unique compared to the rest of the levels (even if its a wide open area)

Mystic said:

Mystic said:
perfectly good maps.

what? Dual Fortress Zone is horrid! It's a Sonic-only zone - Tails and Knuckles have a significant disadvantage, as the map offers nothing to them - thus, the only important factor is speed. :X

Mystic said:

You didn't even refer to the name of YOUR OWN ZONE properly. O_O I'd agree that the scenery in Conveyor Conflict is bland. It's confusing at first, too. Still, it's impressive for only using one control sector and being made in four hours.

Metal Star Zone was overrated, yes.

Zim's Base is fun for me because it gives me an opportunity to actually land Rail Ring shots. I am so bad at that ring.

Iron Turret is awful. There's only open stuff and cramped stuff. That's Rail-Bomb's best friend.

Dual Fortresses Zone's homing ring AND THE CRAMPED MAIN PATH make the stage boring, I think.

Anyway, I also hate Sapphire Falls CTF. It takes freaking forever. Honestly, Daimondus CTF should replace that zone. Daimondus makes 2-player CTF actually fun. O_O

Meadow Match:

This level is largely boring... The layout works pretty decent for a few players, but in a large game its pretty apparent how small the level is. The worst part of the level, however, is that it seems to be a very rail-friendly environment but there are only two rail spawns and although they are on opposite sides of the map, they can be picked up pretty quickly by a single player. Furthermore, due to the weapon placement, large netgames lean towards whoever happens has the much-needed rail weapon, and whether or not they can aim... I understand if its kept as the last survivor from the earliest rotations, but hopefully with a fixed weapon system.

Red Volcano Zone 1:

This was an interesting level the first time I unlocked it, and I enjoyed some of the platforming and gimmicks. However the entire level really consisted of little more than jumping from one block to the next. The level didn't feel like one whole setting like GFZ and THZ did, but instead felt like a series of rooms, all with lava at the bottom and rocks you must somehow jump across. Furthermore this level used the MMZ textures which blended into mush from a distance and made the level look every bit as repetitive as it played. I despise the MMZ textures when used on huge walls and such, and this is probably the reason why. Lastly, the lava at the bottom of each chamber was inconceivably deep and the colormap was thick. You couldn't climb the nearest wall or fly out, and Sonic probably doesn't stand a chance of finding a spring even when there is one.

Mario Koopa Blast 1:

Some of the layout was pretty decent and you could easily tell the influence of the original, but it didn't quite feel like it should. It feels very clumsy in more than one areas but there was only one area that struck me as faithful to the original (I can think of another one, but it didn't "strike me") and that is the last area. To top it all off, the level looked horrible in most of the areas. No comment on the following two as they inherit most of their flaws from SRB2's 2D mode.

Zim's Base:

The level feels like it was enlarged ten times the size it was made. There is an abundance of Rail Rings, making it better than Meadow Match in that regard, but unlike Meadow Match it is *really* big with almost nothing in it. Climbing the shelves takes forever and makes you into a easy target, at least more so than climbing the other furniture. This level forces you into the air far longer than you would like to be on a rail-friendly level. Surprisingly, the flatness that makes it easy to snipe, makes it harder to land a successful hit, because all someone needs to do is run around in circles and try for a lucky shot. The ring placement also seems more to the benefit of whoever reaches the rings, which isn't a problem because with the all-important rail, you generally won't be as likely to exhaust your ring supply.

Sonic Circuit:

Flat, boring, it feels like it was made for Mario Kart. While there are a few races that give characters without the 'thok' a fighting chance, this was made for them.

Slumber Circuit:

NiGHTS as a novelty runs out after a while, and most unfortunately, it runs out before you finish the first lap. The laps are awfully long and unbearable mainly because it feels clumsy (bumping into walls)... I'm sure if it was as graceful as you'd expect a NiGHTS level, you wouldn't really have anything to do. It does have some more creative stuff than the vertical zig-zag shown in the contests though earning it at least some merit.

Midnight Abyss:

This level has some interesting things going with the zero gravity in the center, but if that was all, I'd find myself wishing for some normal areas pretty quickly, which fortunately do exist in huge hallways where you spend most of the time playing hide and seek with whoever else might be in there. Personally, I hate the concept of an outer perimeter running around the level to give it more space, and while it merely bugs me on Airborne Temple, it kills this level.

My main complaint with Hydro Plant is that water slows your movement, which, while it is perhaps only just noticeable in SP, makes running and shooting painful. It does bug me though that everybody plays on the 15% part of the level that is above water, leaving most of the level unused. I didn't hate Conveyor Conflict and actually quite liked it. It just would have been nice if there was more to the level. Starlit Warehouses prompts a slight amount of concern due to the auto-rail and some cover both at ground level and the top may help. Its random monitor is a pain to reach and is seldom worth the 10-20 seconds it takes to get to it.

I also have minor complaints with the circuit levels as being universally devoid of depth. It would be nice if Tails and Knuckles could take ever so slight shortcuts without giving it three separate paths. This usually doesn't bother me because its unplayable in multiplayer anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back