Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can identify it as a piano too, it just doesn't sound like a real one.

I'll remember to use fake pianos from now on. XD

Which means you took the rhythm and changed the melody to something different. Most importantly, the chord changes are different, which kinda kills off the resemblance. For a second act tune, you don't take the rhythm and change the melody and harmony. If anything, you do it the other way around.
Good point, I'll take that into consideration. Except it's too late to do that in LGZ1. :}
Except that the cymbals are either missing or too quiet for me to notice.
That was intentional. I plan on removing the cymbals from Act 1 anyways, because, as someone pointed out to me on a different forum, they don't go very well with the flow of it. That makes sense too, they were kind of just something I threw in there just because they're... Well... Cymbals!

That's true. But the individual parts differ too much from act 1. The uninitiated listener will not notice similarities in structure as much as he will notice similarities in melody. And you transformed those to a point where they are just barely related (see above).
This whole problem is actually coming from the fact that when I think "remix" I think something drastically different, which isn't necessarily what I should be doing here.

The saw lead, by the way, plays some pretty awful and out of key. Especially in the part around 0:30 in act 1, everything starts to sound pretty dissonant. Don't put something chromatic on top of chord changes. The result clashes in most cases.
Very minor, but yeah, thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix that.

Your problem in a nutshell. The key is different and the chord changes are different. Any resemblance is thrown away for the uninformed listener. (Of which I was one, because I must admit I didn't listen to the two very extensively to find similarities.)
Changing the key is no deal whatsoever, because a simple key change doesn't really affect that at all, even to an uninformed listener. Chord changes, I didn't really mess with that at all either, seeing as most of the song is actually, the same chord. I did change a few around in the buildup section near the end, though, in fact, that whole section right there was pretty much completely new anyways.

The percussion at the beginning is pretty fitting with all those shakers and everything. The piano is a somewhat ambiguous instrument though and I don't get an impression of "this is for a beach" immediately. You can use it, but it shouldn't be playing the lead right from the first note. Then, this ride cymbal on the offbeat doesn't really feel fitting. I think the real problem with the drums is that the rhythm is so contemporary. What I mean is that for a beach tune (with steel drums no less), I'd expect any kind of Caribbean rhythm on the drums or some pronounced Carribean percussion (there is some, but it's buried in the mix). I guess that the main reason why it doesn't sound like a believable beach tune. The there is this instrument around 0:37 which could be straight out of GFZ, but doesn't fit here.
Yeah, I definitely have to do something about that piano, that's probably the part I hate most about that song. That and the weird half Caribbean, half modern drum beat I did.
I also want to add, Jade Coast uses steel drums a LOT, but it doesn't have a tropical drum beat.
I'm gonna say right here that I think Sunshine Atoll Zone is my worst song out of the whole soundtrack, I mean, I really can't stand my own song. I'm probably gonna change the whole thing around anyways.
That instrument at 0:37? IIRC, it's a piccolo. There's nothing wrong with it being there IMO, although I could have utilized it more.

You rarely use instruments that evoke some kind of cliché, and that's why I'm sometimes left guessing what the theme could be.
I have to say I disagree. Pretty much all my instrument choices came from listening to other songs and seeing what they use.

An acoustic guitar gives a warm sound, and that doesn't give me the association of frozen mountain tops at all. I'd rather like to hear something more abrasive and not as peaceful. The level you're making this for is certainly not peaceful and happy.

I'm almost sure I know what the problem here is. I'm willing to bet that our impressions of Snowcap Nimbus were completely different. When I played it, I locked on to the feeling of the pristine, heavenly mountain environment, (nevermind the oil completely) and being in awe of the beauty of it all, while it sounds like you think of it as more of a frigid, hostile environment that became a victim of Eggman's evil plans. That right there would explain why I thought the music was super fitting to the level, while you thought it wasn't fitting at all. Do you follow my drift?

Have I missed something out or was this beta private? By the way, I really like the second act tune for that one, so chances are I'll like this one too.
It was private because I didn't want to post something so *censored* up for everyone to see. I've got some new resources now, though, so I think I can do it better.

Last edited:
That was intentional. I plan on removing the cymbals from Act 1 anyways, because, as someone pointed out to me on a different forum, they don't go very well with the flow of it. That makes sense too, they were kind of just something I threw in there just because they're... Well... Cymbals!
That's fine by me, because something always irked me about them rhythmically.

Changing the key is no deal whatsoever, because a simple key change doesn't really affect that at all, even to an uninformed listener.
The thing about the key was a screwup on my part. Of course a key change doesn't matter.

Chord changes, I didn't really mess with that at all either, seeing as most of the song is actually, the same chord. I did change a few around in the buildup section near the end, though, in fact, that whole section right there was pretty much completely new anyways.
You didn't? Then why does the melody at the beginning sound so radically different. I assumed those must be new chords.

I also want to add, Jade Coast uses steel drums a LOT, but it doesn't have a tropical drum beat.
I know, but it kinda gets away with all those steel drums.

I'm gonna say right here that I think Sunshine Atoll Zone is my worst song out of the whole soundtrack, I mean, I really can't stand my own song. I'm probably gonna change the whole thing around anyways.
Okay then. The lead melody is just fine though, I hope it's gonna stay.

That instrument at 0:37? IIRC, it's a piccolo. There's nothing wrong with it being there IMO, although I could have utilized it more.
It feels more like something I'd hear in GFZ to me.

I have to say I disagree. Pretty much all my instrument choices came from listening to other songs and seeing what they use.
That comment of mine was mostly aimed at SNZ, and we pretty much narrowed my complaints down to that one and ECZ2 anyway.

I'm almost sure I know what the problem here is. I'm willing to bet that our impressions of Snowcap Nimbus were completely different. When I played it, I locked on to the feeling of the pristine, heavenly mountain environment, (nevermind the oil completely) and being in awe of the beauty of it all, while it sounds like you think of it as more of a frigid, hostile environment that became a victim of Eggman's evil plans. That right there would explain why I thought the music was super fitting to the level, while you thought it wasn't fitting at all. Do you follow my drift?
Yeah, that makes sense. It all depends on what atmosphere Fawfulfan aimed at then.

It was private because I didn't want to post something so *censored* up for everyone to see. I've got some new resources now, though, so I think I can do it better.
Ah, all right then.

Last edited:
Oh, Fawfulfan, I'm making the Special Stage music right now, I'll have it done Tomorrow.. Er...Oh wait... Today most likely. Sorry, it's the middle of the night here, I pulled an all-nighter, so I'm confuzzled about time right now.

Regarding the "power" of the SAZ music, I like the way it is for SAZ1, but maybe it could be more upbeat and powerful in SAZ2. That would probably make sense...look at GFZ1 music vs. GFZ2 music.

daiches99 said something about "touching it up instrument-wise", and I have no clue what he meant. Your tracks are certainly not too lo-fi. Apart from that, I don't think anybody else even said anything. I just fear that the music will be too hi-tech and realistic for the levels they're made for.

I can't even remember what I meant. But my best would be I thought If you are going to use realistic instruments use a wider and more fitting range. If you're going for the Midi-ish sound, make it like the Genesis or SRB2's sound fonts. Though admittedly the Genesis sounds sound a bit odd in SRB2.

Oh and Charyzs, (That's your new nickname from me Charybdizs), I can't wait for the Special Stage theme.

On that matter Fawfulfan, surely you must do SOMETHING for special stages?
While the main priority is the level design, surely you could have a Nights stage set in different areas of The Tortured Planet as special stages?

I just got part of an idea! You could do Special stages like Sonic & Knuckles, not the stages themselves, but the location of them. Let me explain. Remember how in Sonic & Knuckles when you got a big ring, you would go to Hidden Palace, Well maybe when you get a token you could go to a section of the "Torturet Planet." Maybe play through a part of it before it is destoryed, and when you get there in AAZ it would be more of a shock. Like a said, not a complete thought, but enough for someone to develope from to make one.

I just got part of an idea! You could do Special stages like Sonic & Knuckles, not the stages themselves, but the location of them. Let me explain. Remember how in Sonic & Knuckles when you got a big ring, you would go to Hidden Palace, Well maybe when you get a token you could go to a section of the "Torturet Planet." Maybe play through a part of it before it is destoryed, and when you get there in AAZ it would be more of a shock. Like a said, not a complete thought, but enough for someone to develope from to make one.

I like the idea of the restored areas. I'd love to see ECZ and AAZ restored, perhaps looking a bit like planet wisp's grassy areas I daresay? :D

Big Shiny World

Yes, I started naming my songs. XD
This song wasn't even intentionally a special stage theme, it was just something I was doing for fun, and I realized it'd work really well as one. You can probably tell I got a lot of inspiration from Sonic Colors and Nights.

Now pardon me, I'm going to go play CTF for a few hours.

Big Shiny World

Yes, I started naming my songs. XD
This song wasn't even intentionally a special stage theme, it was just something I was doing for fun, and I realized it'd work really well as one. You can probably tell I got a lot of inspiration from Sonic Colors and Nights.

Now pardon me, I'm going to go play CTF for a few hours.

Yes, take a well earned rest. This truly is a Nights like piece. Fawfulfan, you must listen to my request. It's like I foreshadowed it :P

For the special stages, maybe you could replace the emerald token by something that would warp the player to a secret, special stage looking area in which he/she would have to clear a challenge to get the emerald and go back to the level.

For the special stages, maybe you could replace the emerald token by something that would warp the player to a secret, special stage looking area in which he/she would have to clear a challenge to get the emerald and go back to the level.
Okay, it's high time I cleared this up for people beyond a shadow of doubt.

There will be NO changes to Special Stages in Tortured Planet v9.0, apart from the music. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but you will not see it any time soon.

Okay, it's high time I cleared this up for people beyond a shadow of doubt.

There will be NO changes to Special Stages in Tortured Planet v9.0, apart from the music. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but you will not see it any time soon.

How come? Do you prefer to fix the problems with levels you already have rather than create new ones?

You mean like something similar to what Gem Planet did?(Finding temples which warped you to an area requiring you to go from Point A to the Emerald(They were never more than 30 seconds tops, but they were fun to find and well hidden))

You mean like something similar to what Gem Planet did?(Finding temples which warped you to an area requiring you to go from Point A to the Emerald(They were never more than 30 seconds tops, but they were fun to find and well hidden))

That's what i meant, but i never played or heard of that game. For example, ECZ's special area could be themed around damaging liquids(It would fit with the level's theme).

Hey guys! Long time no see! *broken computer face*
So, I was reading those posts and I read quite a fight.

No, Chary, don't change SNZ's song. It is perfect.

Fawfulfan, I hope you don't wait for music. Let music for v10. People here just can't wait, Jimmy. Do something, please!

Kim, the current one doesn't even fit, it has no "mechanical" reminder of the oil tracks and machinery. I suggest changes in instruments a bit here and there, but besides that it's all good. (IMO, of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back