• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Single player collab discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound a tad sore over that, MonsterIestyn, don't take it so personally, we weren't trying to exclude you or anything. I had just seen it put forth that the soundtrack was going to be FM, and you guys never really gave any objections when it was mentioned.

It's news to me that anyone was not for it, but honestly, I'm fine with it.
The strange thing is, the songs picked for both acts of Gravity Garden and Steam Engine Act 2 are not FM songs. Which, if we do go with an FM soundtrack, would make it more inconsistent. Unless there's going to be different music used for those levels?

never really gave any objections when it was mentioned.
It must have happened at some obscure time because everyone against it was either not there or not paying attention to the chat at the time. I have not seen a single person who recalls being present during that conversation except for the people supporting it.

If we're going to restrict ourselves to a certain type of music, we should really have a proper discussion about it on the MB to make sure people actually want the restriction in place. IRC conversations have an audience dependent on the current time, MB topics aren't going anywhere.

In any case, I don't see why it would hurt to throw FM music replacements into an optional WAD, but making it mandatory would be too restrictive and waste some perfectly good music already in the pack.

Last edited:
I for one, dislike the idea of using Genesis soundfonts or FMs for the level's music. After all, with more restrictive instruments means it will be hard to make decent songs for the zones that are more off the wall. Using normal SRB2-Styled music would be the way to go since we can do more with it, and it will also save us from killing cats and ducks and other animals.

I like how everyone misunderstood my post.

I meant that y'all can carry on with normal tunes however you like, I'm just making a separate wad with random fitting FM Synthesis tunes from other games. The whole idea shouldn't even matter much anymore.

I for one, dislike the idea of using Genesis soundfonts or FMs for the level's music. After all, with more restrictive instruments means it will be hard to make decent songs for the zones that are more off the wall. Using normal SRB2-Styled music would be the way to go since we can do more with it, and it will also save us from killing cats and ducks and other animals.

Sonic 4 doesn't use FM, silly.

I'd just like to make this clear. I created two seperate threads for this project because by the time 7 zones are finished, there will be a lot of submitted material and it will be much easier for map makers to find the resources they need if the thread is kept clean of discussion.

If you have anything to say about the project, or material submitted for it, then please use the discussion thread. This thread is intended to be used for submitting resources only, thank you.
Okay, I cleaned up the other thread and moved all non-submission posts here.

Why are you stuck with MIDIs?

I currently haven't the software for any other means of making music on this computer. I'm not even sure if this computer is capable of supporting other stuff, since I've found my computer can't even take VSTs well.

I like how everyone misunderstood my post.

I meant that y'all can carry on with normal tunes however you like, I'm just making a separate wad with random fitting FM Synthesis tunes from other games. The whole idea shouldn't even matter much anymore.

I actually understood your post, in fact. What was bothering me is that the idea was even being suggested without everyone actually agreeing to the idea. (So basically I'm also agreeing with what Katmint said a few posts ago)

I would like see about doing Haunted House Act 3, but before I do, I'd like an example of what I should get for the feel of the level (even though the act would probably be kind of different looking). I suppose I could just do that myself, but I'd rather see about Monster Iestyn's vision of what the level would be, so I know it'll turn out as he likes. I also would rather wait for Monster Iestyn's composition for the "fight" part of the map, even though he put together music for before the "fight" part.

I also would rather wait for Monster Iestyn's composition for the "fight" part of the map, even though he put together music for before the "fight" part.

...what music for before the "fight" part, unless you mean HHZ1 and HHZ2?

Some sort of theme for HHZ3 I have thought about making in the past, but never actually have gotten around to making yet. Probably would be better to just try and find some other music for HHZ3 for the meantime, really. =V

I'm assuming EvilEternity3000 doesn't have access to a high quality soundbank, so I took the liberty of remastering one of his pieces with my software.

http://www.sapphirecontrol.net/music/wip/srb2-tower.mp3 (I put this together quickly, so it may not be perfect. Any criticisms on the sound are welcome.)

I can make ogg versions of any track you guys need with this software. That includes Monster Iestyn and Charybdizs, if the two of you need me to by any chance.

And before I forget, Evil, at which bar is the song supposed to loop?

Last edited:
http://www.sapphirecontrol.net/music/wip/srb2-tower.mp3 (I put this together quickly, so it may not be perfect. Any criticisms on the sound are welcome.)

I can make ogg versions of any track you guys need with this software. That includes Monster Iestyn and Charybdizs, if the two of you need me to by any chance.

Woah now, that doesn't sound bad at all. Doesn't hardly fit the mood at all, but it's a splendid composition all the same.

And thanks for the offer, BlueWarrior, but I'll be fine. I have all the tools and more than I could ever need. But I am curious, what soundbank did you use for that?

A program called Propellerhead Reason. Comes with a slew of softsynthesizers (sample-based, subtractor, fm, etc.). Some instruments are preset or modified, then there are others I made myself with a subtractor synth.

As for the mood, I'm not really sure what's needed for the level itself, I was just running off of what was conveyed from the midi.

As for the mood, I'm not really sure what's needed for the level itself, I was just running off of what was conveyed from the midi.
That mp3 is certainly nice work, but I think it sounds a little bit too hectic and urgent, especially for a sky-themed second zone. A calmer, dreamier piece would fit much better.

For the sake of being clearer because I can't even explain music properly in my native language (and I fear I'm just spewing out nonsense here in English), something more among the lines of Rusty Ruin Act 2 (Saturn version) and Nimbus Ruins' theme would be more fitting for Cloudy Domain/Heavenly Tower.

Excuse me, but on page 1, there was some discussion about a "Zany Ziggurat" zone. I'd just like you to know, I came up with that name for an old level pack/game/mod of mine from a while ago.

Really, you only notice that now? Really? :p

Don't get your head in a tizzy though, I gave you credit. In my own little way.

[05/05/2012 15:58:03] <Charybdizs> So does anyone recognize the name Zany Ziggurat Zone?
[05/05/2012 15:58:08] <MonsterIestyn> Nope
[05/05/2012 15:58:23] <Charybdizs> Good, then I can claim it as my own and no one will know any better
[09/05/2012 14:55:02] <SpiritCrusher> Or Zany Ziggurat :P
[09/05/2012 14:55:08] <Charybdizs> Heh
[09/05/2012 14:55:13] <Charybdizs> I didn't actually make that name
[09/05/2012 14:55:26] <Charybdizs> That was a "planned" level for some newbs level pack a while back
[09/05/2012 14:55:27] <SpiritCrusher> Zany Ziggurat is one of those names that sound so comical that they stick
[09/05/2012 14:55:29] <Charybdizs> I liked it though
[09/05/2012 14:55:34] <MonsterIestyn> Zany Ziggurat seems one of the most memorable names there, yeah

I guess it was you, Virt! I couldn't remember who. FEEL PROUD.

Also no you can't have the name back

Haunted house is nice and all with the gimmicks side, but on the cannon ball tests, you could easially blow it. here are the diferent ways:

*Test 1: If the ball falls in the pit, theres no getting it back.
*Test 2: If the ball falls in a hole, theres no getting it back.
*Test 3: If the ball at the top falls off, your stuck.

If there is a way to fix this (like with teleporter pits or something), it would work out much better.

Well, yeah, the cannonball puzzles would probably be better off as gimmicks for hidden alternative routes or secrets anyway, though you have a good point there, yeah.

As for the second Cannonball Puzzle test, on the other hand, the whole point of the Cannonballs there are to fill in the holes in the path for the Gargoyle object to be pushed across, so what you've said there's actually okay for that one. =P

Well, I think i've found out how to beat the final boss proto, but you shouldn't have to get hurt to defeat a boss.

You don't. In fact, you're not supposed to be able to defeat him by getting hurt. You're supposed to pass close to him after he attacks so he gets distracted and forgets to recharge the forcefield.

Well, yeah, the cannonball puzzles would probably be better off as gimmicks for hidden alternative routes or secrets anyway, though you have a good point there, yeah.

Actually, there's no need to worry about cannonballs falling in pits, since pushable objects automatically return to their spawning position if they touch a ceiling or floor with the death pit effect.

But the 2nd and 3rd ones don't have pits with a death pit sector effect.

Well, the best solution there would be to just make sure those situations don't occur. In other words, pits should be added at the bottom of all holes that the balls aren't supposed to fall into, and it should always be possible to push both balls into a death pit if one falls off from on top of another so they respawn in their original, stacked position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back