• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Tales of Tails: The Search for Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virt

Trollerskates
I've got a ton of ideas, and I've got some cutscene graphics done, so I'm wondering... should this mod be in the SRB2 style or in the modern style? Reply with your feedback. Here's the Storyline.

Tails and Amy had been invited to the Chaotix's "Birthday Bash for a Bee". They went to the location, but found that Charmy had not arrived yet. Vector greeted them and guided them to a seat. Amy recieved a call from the birthday boy, and the duo discovered that Sonic had gone missing. They set out on a quest to find him, and also discovered that the Battle Kukku Army was bent on revenge for what Tails had done to them years back.

Here are the cutscene graphics I have so far:

2nvdrm0.jpg
Tails is sleeping, listening to the radio.
or2ip5.jpg
The alarm clock suddenly rings, sending Tails into a take.

Luckily, I don't have many cutscene graphics done, so I won't have to re-do a lot if you guys think I should use the SRB2 style.

Level Ideas:
Circuitry City
Forgotten Fortress
Mechanical Mesa
Zany Ziggurat
Ancient Archipelago
Spacious Sea
Washy Wasteland
Battleship Barrage
Peaceful Peak

Boss Ideas:
Battle Kukku 16
Floaty-Camel of Doom (Name is WIP)
Shadow the Hedgehog
Kukku Cruiser
Brak Eggman
Sonic the Hedgehog

Okay, I think I'll need a team. But first, answer the question listed at the top of the post, please.

I have a feeling that people here are looking for more than cutscene art proof. Though this looks like it'll get somewhere... Hopefully. (I mean, there are like 3 other level packs out there that promise betas soon, but nothing yet...). I don't really have an opinion if it should be SRB2 style or modern... Though modern will probably include new additions... Meh...

I think this is a good idea but, why Sonic for the final boss? Does he get possesed by evil or something?

LOL its a good idea !!!!

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I Love your idea!!!!

I'd say focus on levels before cutscenes. I skip cutscenes anyway, so do whatever feels god for your cutscene style.

Would it be possible for you to tell us the theme of some of the levels, some of the names are quite confusing to tell the truth (eg, Zany Ziggurat). The story is a bit, fanfic'y (no offense), just I can tell a well detailed and very thought out story from a basic outline, maybe if you put some more detail in a few parts I wouldn't mind as much.

Also, since it's come out recently, I think this would be a great opportunity to use the SRB2 Asset Pack.

some of the names are quite confusing to tell the truth (eg, Zany Ziggurat).
And you thought Meta Junglira Zone was the most strange zone name we've seen so far.

Lol things aside, Tails on the first picture looks... I dunno...

*looks at Tails' chest*

...feminine?

Owait, since its a SEARCH for Sonic, that means... No playable Sonic? Butbutbut it's all of the fun in SRB2! Exploring places that usually will be simple to reach with a flying character, but quite the challange with a ground one... There will be a character replacing him, right?

Wait, so a entire game where you play as Tails or Amy, saving Sonic, just to find out that he's been brainwashed or something? Wow, how is Sonic going to work out as the final boss? A bot or something?

IT needs shadow or silver as playable character when Sonic wont be playable.

What's wrong with Tails having his own mod? Most SRB2 mods have Sonic (And in some cases Knuckles) heavily in favour, if the level has nice ground and air gameplay then sure, seems fine to me.

Just don't let it be some kind of 'Tails Sky Patrol'.

Wait, so a entire game where you play as Tails or Amy, saving Sonic, just to find out that he's been brainwashed or something? Wow, how is Sonic going to work out as the final boss? A bot or something?

I'm guessing it'll be something like

1. Make a Sonic bot
2. Ringslinger on

Or

Replace Eggman sprites with Sonic sprites.

But yeah, this does seem more like a Fanfic than an actual plot. "Birthday Bash for a Bee"?

Hopefully this mod will be better than what most people expect.

Stick with the SRB2 style.

I could be a level tester, if you want. I don't have much to do these days, Character WAD aside.

One more thing. The back of Tails's head shouldn't be furry like older incarnations, because it just looks weird. Just keep the back of his head the way it is.

Well, Circuitry City is the first level, which gets you into the feel of things, and it takes place inbetween the first cutscene and the announcement that Sonic is missing. It's basically a high-tech city of sorts.
Forgotten Fortress is an underground castle filled with lots of maces. The boss there is Battle Kukku 16 (or Speedy). He's a villian from Tails Adventure.
Mechanical Mesa is sort of like Techno Hill Zone, but with lots more platforming. Its boss is Shadow, I still need a backstory for that.
Zany Ziggurat is a desert level with a giant temple. The first act takes place outside the temple-ish pyramid thing, and the second act takes place inside it. The boss is the Floaty Camel of Doom (the name is a WIP). It has turrets for humps, and there's a button on the top of its head. You swing ontop of it by means of its chain/tail appendage. The turrets fire at you, and you have to dodge them. Then you climb up its neck and push the button on its head. The turrets are destroyed, but as a side-effect, a whole fleet of badniks and Battle Kukku soldiers are deployed. You can only get out of the temple if you beat all the enemies.
Ancient Archipelago is a huge chain of islands surrounded by an ocean. There are lots for SDURFs around, and a couple of Skims. Speedy is the boss here.
Spacious Sea has lots of Jaws and more Skims and 90% of it is underwater. Battleship Barrage is just the Boss fight of Spacious Sea, which is the Kukku Cruiser, a Battleship with tons of Battle Kukku Soldiers on it, throwing bombs at you while you're standing on a make-shift raft. It's a 2D boss fight.
Wicked Wasteland (formerly Washy Wasteland; changed because of too many water levels) is a busted-down city that was invaded by the Battle Kukku Army and lots of turrets are everywhere.
Volcano Valley is, as you can guess, a mountain range of volcanoes. Shadow is the boss here. Lots of Pumas are found here.
Peaceful Peak is the last level before the final boss. Not a lot of traps or enemies or gimmicks, but it's a really long level with lots of scenery.

Sonic doesn't get brainwashed, he just wants to test Tails' and Amy's skills after the adventure.

Also, the story has more than what I posted, that's just a paraphrase of what I have so far. I'm writing the story in narrative style in my notebook to come up with a good storyline. I tried writing it in Comic-book style, but the story strayed way too much and they found Sonic in not even 10 pages into the comic.

I called Charmy's birthday party the "Birthday Bash for a Bee" because the whole game is cram-packed with alliteration.

EDIT: Don't anybody dare say "tl;dr"!

Sure, I'll take that dare. Nobody really cares how epic your story is or how cool your planned ideas are, they care about what your gameplay is like and whether or not you've actually made any progress on it. I fully admit I did not read your post beyond just skimming it to make sure it wasn't offensive. It's tl;dr planning, and if you want anyone to take it seriously you need some suitable screenshots of actual gameplay to go with it.

Nobody really cares how epic your story is or how cool your planned ideas are, they care about what your gameplay is like and whether or not you've actually made any progress on it.

...I care! But not as much about it as about the gameplay itself. Stories are cool and everything, and can add a lot to a game, but when the moment I see some serious level design will be the moment I get interested.

And why are people complaining about the level names? They show imagination? I mean, what do you want, some cliche thing like "Neo Greenflower Zone" or "Aqua Palace" or, forebode, yet another "Jade [noun]" Zone?

tl;dr

Just kidding. But still, a story is nothing if there is no gameplay. Make some levels so we can see your where your mapping skill level is at.

(also, I DID actually read all of that. :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back