Your image editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Paint for nearly all my pics, and it's suprising how good I can make them using just that.

However, I sometimes use Corel Painter IX. The picture I have for my avatar was scanned, then cleaned up, colored in and resized using that program.

MSPaint can save in PNG, it just does a bad job at compressing the image, so it ends up having a much larger filesize than necessary. If you still want to save PNG with MSPaint, you should probably use a program like OptiPNG to bring them down in size.

MSPaint can save in PNG, it just does a bad job at compressing the image, so it ends up having a much larger filesize than necessary. If you still want to save PNG with MSPaint, you should probably use a program like OptiPNG to bring them down in size.
That only depends on how many colors you're using. If you use less than 256 colors (note: scanned drawings eat up a lot of space in PNG format because there's WELL more than that), they'll be smaller than GIF files of the same size. The less you use, the more space you save.

Also, if his version of Paint can't save into PNG, it means his OS is older than XP. PNG is a relatively new image format.

You have completely disregarded my statement. The thing is, there's more to PNG compression than just the number of colors on the image. Yes, PNG is a lossless format. Yes, you can compress it differently despite it being lossless. Here are two images:

PNG-MSPaint.PNG

PNG-OptiPNG.PNG

These two images are exactly the same. They have not been tampered with in any manner. However, the one on the top was saved with MSPaint. The one on the bottom was compressed with OptiPNG. The MSPaint PNG weighs in at 269kb. The OptiPNG image? Only 157kb. That's close to half of the MSPaint size! I've even seen a few instances where MSPaint created PNGs that were three times as large as OptiPNG's - 1mb versus 300 or so kb. To me, there's just no excuse for crappy PNG export.

I'm using the MSPaint from my old windows 98 because a virus nuked my XP copy. It doesn't save in PNG. I'm just too lazy to use a different program.

I use GIMP. Now that I finally understand the interface, I find it to be very useful for tracing/improving scans.

So what other information could be in the file?

Maybe about 40 bytes worth.

MSPaintvsOptiPNG.png

I think what's most peculiar about this is how MSPaint saves the actual image data. OptiPNG saves the image data into a single chunk. For some reason, MSPaint saves into multiple chunks, with each chunk limited to 65536 bytes. Don't ask me why this is, as such behavior isn't even necessary. I imagine this might be part of the reason why MSPaint often fails to compress efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back