• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

XWE Tutorial for newbies (with screens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

light dasher

Ok say you wanted to make a character from sonic, well, get the sonic.plr and copy it and paste it in the XWE folder (dosent have to be in the XWE folder though) and rename it to yourcharactername.wad then load up XWE, you should have somthing like this
1sq1.png

see that? good now go to file and click open, now load you're yourcharactername.wad, ok got that loaded? good,
2hw1.png
should be like that, ok, now you want that picture off sonic to edit don't you?
well go to entry then click save as,
3xc3.png

save it in a folder or were ever, now use a program to edit it, i use paint but that dosent mean you have to. ok you've done you're character but you want to know how to put it into a wad, all you do is go to entry again and go to replace
4mb5.png

find you're character and load it up, should get somthing like this, im useing my character but you're useing your's
5ra2.png

now you should know how to use XWE

If only you made this yesterday :(. Are well it didn't take long for me to work it out anyway. Just working out how to convert mus music from DOOM took a long time.
Anyway nice tutorial. Saves alot of time renaming the sprites yourself.

you make character editing sound so easy. I need to get the permission of the maker of sora wad to edit it though. :mrgreen:.But I just have to ask how you edit the images into the wad.Also there is a link for xwe sadx shadow topic in editing on page 4

There's a character editing tutorial on STARS. This doesn't need a sticky.

EDIT: And there is a sticky on characters right in this forum. How dense can people get?

Okay, this is kind of a stupid question but, well I know that XWE autosaves, butis there a way to save the current file? And where does the saved file go, usally it appears in my srb2 folder, but no latly.

camo man said:
Okay, this is kind of a stupid question but, well I know that XWE autosaves, butis there a way to save the current file? And where does the saved file go, usally it appears in my srb2 folder, but no latly.
Just copy the file you want to edit somewhere you want to have it and rename it, if it is necessary. Then startup XWE and edit the file. :wink:

Morph said:
camo man said:
Just copy the file you want to edit somewhere you want to have it and rename it, if it is necessary. Then startup XWE and edit the file. :wink:
I mean where does the xwe file go when im done with a newly created file?

sasuketo uzuchihamaki said:
you make character editing sound so easy.

It IS easy, after you get used to it. I've done it all without all these fancy tutorials. (although I am trying to evolve in level wadding with tutorials) You know the first thing I've ever done in XWE? I edited the mario wad's S_SKIN to be 4 units faster, and give him a spindash. Although it was really nothing, I was goddamn proud of my first work. Later I edited the wads skin-name to Shadow. I just quessed SRB2JTE might be based on that, so I edited Mario's name to be like Shadow's. And it worked! Later I started spriting for Shadow. I made a non-shaded 3 sprite superform for him. Even when standing he was in running animations. And 2 weeks later....SMS started.

Morph said:
XWE just edits and doesn't create new files I think...

Yes it does. Its just a lot of harder to create total new wads from scratch, without any editing. The only wad I made using that way is Mystic Shadow.wad. I now base all my wads from that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

Back