• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Working on a new level pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Destiny

dealer of Retribution.
Well me and my friend kevin have been working on a level pack for about a week now, its not nearly done because we have at least 3 months of work ahead of us (lucky we have the summer.)

but anyways i am making the special stages while he makes the levels, currently i have one special stage map done, and i need some opinions and constructive criticism on the stage so here ya go.

Download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/47634516/f83fea04/Zenkin.html

EDIT: Ok scratch the level pack, im cancelling it, you people are right, i need to work on my levels more, im sorry to have troubled you all.

EDIT2: This what describes my level right here

The download screen is taking forever to load, but I need to say something.

You have made what? 3 levels? And your going to try to make a level pack now? I highly suggest that you try to get a lot more experince before you attempt a level pack.

Ok, it finished loading, now I download the level...

There's only one level - a special stage better said. And please tell me it's meant to be used with Adventure mode, this thing is just painful. Also even using light dash and homing I couldn't finish it D: (my record was a bit more than 500 rings).

I pwned the level easily, besides me being the maker of it, it shouldnt be that hard.

I beat it with 50 seconds to spare and i fell in the water 7 times.

And what exactly do you mean by painful?

Also to chrome: im slowly gaining experience i think ill be ok, just dont judge me before you find out my abilities and dont judge the level pack before you play it.

There is still much work to do.

Just don't expect it to be "teh best leval pak eva".

I only got 157 rings, because I fell in the water as Sonic and could not get out because I could not find a spring. I also saw waterfloors.

Chrome the hedgehog said:
Just don't expect it to be "teh best leval pak eva".

I only got 157 rings, because I fell in the water as Sonic and could not get out because I could not find a spring. I also saw waterfloors.
Aww damn.... i accidentally made the waterfloors ill change them later i have homework to do.
(excuse my language)

Sonic Destiny said:
Also to chrome: im slowly gaining experience i think ill be ok, just dont judge me before you find out my abilities and dont judge the level pack before you play it.

There is still much work to do.
Still, is is much more recommended to improve your map making before you make a pack. Your levels are still terrible. Usually flat, has no gimmicks, and has enemy hoardes. I recommend adding more springs, crushers, and platforms in your levels.

The Dark Fox said:
Still, is is much more recommended to improve your map making before you make a pack. Your levels are still terrible.
Also retarded name. Even if it isn't a pack yet, at least give it a good name.
Sorry to dissapoint, heh.

The level wasn't exactly what I predicted but yet it was fun.
I had around 50 secs left and I had 723 rings on my first try.
It isn't that had,but the platforms were killers since it they were small.
and you had to take tiny steps to make sure you didn't fall off.

Was the level meant to have a hurting sector by the silver ring boxes?

Autosaver said:
Was the level meant to have a hurting sector by the silver ring boxes?
Yes it was meant to have that, it was supposed to kinda be hard to get to the 2 silver rings because it shouldnt be easy, i mean thats 50 rings right there! XD.
Yes but im happy you enjoyed it.

After examining the comments on my 4shared account, whos bright idea was it to be so idiotic, childish and heartless to post these 2 messages, i mean its obviously some noobs that did this.
The name is actually person.

May 13, 2008 7:49:15 PM
person:
This sucks
May 13, 2008 7:49:21 PM
person:
bitch

Person, if you dont like my wad tell me, dont be an ass about it.

EDIT: I really dont expect my levels to be the best ever, but i try if you want to give me criticism and ways to improve my levels, please do not hesitate but do not just say you dont like it, and not give me any criticism.

Chrome the hedgehog said:
The download screen is taking forever to load, but I need to say something.

You have made what? 3 levels? And your going to try to make a level pack now? I highly suggest that you try to get a lot more experince before you attempt a level pack.

Ok, it finished loading, now I download the level...

I was warning you that some people will tare your level up and spit them out with critisism you don't like, y'know.

The Dark Fox said:
Your levels are still terrible.
Also retarded name. Even if it isn't a pack yet, at least give it a good name.

Give an applaud for what I call Destructive criticism! Oh, come on Dark Fox, at least try to give good constructive criticism. Good constructive criticism doesn't just point out the obvious and state what's wrong with the wad, it gives good examples and suggestions on what to do. Now Sonic Destiny's levels are far from perfect, but motivation is potential, and Sonic Destiny has plenty of that.

Back on topic, I'll review this later once I have time.

Ice said:
Give an applaud for what I call Destructive criticism! Oh, come on Dark Fox, at least try to give good constructive criticism. Good constructive criticism doesn't just point out the obvious and state what's wrong with the wad, it gives good examples and suggestions on what to do. Now Sonic Destiny's levels are far from perfect, but motivation is potential, and Sonic Destiny has plenty of that.

Back on topic, I'll review this later once I have time.
Thank you ice, i need to hear that. ^^

I'll Begin said:
Yes. Tell him WHY his levels are "terrible"
And yes why dont you people do that?

Alright, fine. I'll start the chain. This map was completely awful. Here's why:

-Small platforms
-Poor ring placement
-Tight speed curve (I couldn't complete it. At all.)
-Exactly the amount of rings needed to complete are placed on the map. Nothing more, nothing less.
-Ring objective too high
-Poor map design overall

I dunno, I feel special stage maps are just excuses to make a map with no real design plans whatsoever, and just put rings wherever the hell you can stick them. That's why most of the custom special stages are just bad platforming + too many rings.

0/10

Ash said:
-Exactly the amount of rings needed to complete are placed on the map. Nothing more, nothing less.
I appreciate your criticism ash but there are exactly 734 rings in that stage, many people on this forum can beat this level other than me.
(im not disrespecting your srb2 skills)
Anyways if you go to the back of the level you will see 2 silver ring boxes that have 50 rings.

To beat the stage i would suggest doing the outside of the stage first, then the maze , then the middle inside.

One more thing, im making these special stages for a level pack, not to just make special stages and none of them have any use.

But again thank you ash for the criticism.

It's not a matter of skills, it's a matter of the map actually being bad. You can beat it because you made the map. Tiny platforms to inch on, springs leading you to death pits; it doesn't say "I made a difficult map and no one can beat it hahaha", it says "I can beat my map and that's all that matters". Special stages aren't supposed to have poor level design and require huge player skill, you know. And if all the special stages in your map pack are going to be like this, the player would probably rather avoid all tokens, if it weren't for the emeralds.

Also yeah, I exaggerated with beating it. It still was a waste of time and was very unpleasant, though. Here's something you need badly:

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Design_101

I have to ask: are you going to actually change the map to fit people's criticism, or are you just going to complain when someone says the map sucks? Player orientation is a huge deal when making maps for Single Player mode, and if you're just going to ignore the fact that different players have different skills, you shouldn't be making maps. At all.

Ash said:
I have to ask: are you going to actually change the map to fit people's criticism, or are you just going to complain when someone says the map sucks? Player orientation is a huge deal when making maps for Single Player mode, and if you're just going to ignore the fact that different players have different skills, you shouldn't be making maps. At all.
No need to be angry ash, just calm down.

Yes i am im not going to be hard on people or say other things, and im not saying im the only person that can beat my map, look at other posts in this topic and youll find another person that can beat it.

But im sorry ash, im going to lower the ring limit to 600 but im going to take out a few rings.

But as for the platforms, why would i make them huge if they are on top of water? and the water area isnt even that big.

But what should i do about the platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back