Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the way XP doesn't have enough kinds of users. My little brother wants to play some games, but the restricted users won't be able to play them. On the other hand, if I make him an administrator, he ends up installing loads of ****.

s_and_c said:
I hate the way XP doesn't have enough kinds of users.

It is a pain, but it's only a problem in XP Home. XP Pro has Group Policy options similar to those in Win2k, including all the user management stuff. Of course, Pro costs twice as much as Home, which is why I plumped for the latter; most of the other missing bits (e.g. Telnet server) can be incorporated using third-party tools. I've yet to find a way to run a logoff script, however. >_<

The explanation of because a buggy program can cause a system crash in Windows: the user interface is executed on ring 0 (at the same prority of the kernel). This happens also on BeOS. ( BeOS crashes every week)
On *NIX the user interface is executed on ring 3, thus evitating system crashes
About the crashes, WinXP on a my computer crashed daily :( This is why I switched to Linux. I have also FreeBSD and BeOS DevEd 1.1
Ah, I forgot to mention that there is a project to create a WinNT compatible OS http://www.reactos.com
The project's site seems down by now ... :?

@Sik:
On WIndows 3.1 the gui was executed on ring 3, that's why it didn't crash the system.
Starting with WindowsNT the gui was executed on ring 0. This increased the speed, but also the crashes

Shadow Hog said:
And yet you continue to attack new versions of Windows, when all your experience is based on 8-year-old technology? Brilliant (not).

I have used all of the Windows Operating Systems and I have not been impressed with any of them.

Windows 3.1: Crashed every two months
Windows 95: Crashed every month
Windows 98: Crashed every week
Windows ME: Crashed every three days
Windows XP: Crashes about once a year
Windows Vista: Who Knows... I will find out during the Public Beta Test.

Why do you support Microsoft so much. Do you work for them or something?? Stop living in a fantasy world where Windows does not crash.

Windows1.0.gif

Windows 1.0: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1.0

I had Windows ME. I used it happily for a year. It crashed once.

I now have Windows XP. I've been stuck with it for 2 years running. It crashes once every week.

Maybe I'm just unlucky... :|

XP has only crashed once on me, and only because I left it on for a few days striaght.

I have never had a computer crash on me. Ever. Even back on my old ME.

tails92 said:
What? Is MS-DOS executive the same thing as Windows? (I know now why everybody uses that picture, however... isn't that version B&W only?)

Well, returning to the last posts... Well, is true that WinXP has a lot of bugfixes... Its ratio of crashes is similar to Win98... Win2k, instead, crashes almost every time (at least in my tests)...

akirahedgehog said:
Why do you support Microsoft so much. Do you work for them or something?? Stop living in a fantasy world where Windows does not crash.
In order:

Because their products are a hell of a lot better than people indicate. If you think they suck, chances are you're just not good at using them.

I don't have ANY job, though working for Microsoft would probably help me with my lack of money.

Newsflash: Windows DOESN'T crash. It ain't fantasy. If once a year is really so bad for you, you can go back to your sucky Macintoshes with a program list that's considerably low, or your also-not-particularly-well-supported open source OSes like Linux. The point is, you're just outright wrong. I've had XP on here for a LONG time, and I've experienced VERY little crashes. If you want to screw yourself over just because you might get, what, one crash a YEAR, which is an action I'd hardly call that practical, forget you.

Sik said:
Its ratio of crashes is similar to Win98...
Completely false. XP crashes INCREDIBLY rarely, and if it does for you, then you're really a bad user. Frankly you should run a virus and adware scan, and fast, because XP REALLY isn't supposed to crash as frequently as 98. Hell, mine doesn't crash at all, unlike some Windows-haters seem to claim *coughakiracough*.

Windows 2000 isn't the most *stable* release, but it works fine for me. Honestly, I don't care *what* operating system you use, as long as it *works*.

I like to use DOS all the time. I have it on a seperate partition on my hard drive, and it's really nice to surf wireless internet with- *shot*

Shadow Hog said:
Sik said:
Completely false. XP crashes INCREDIBLY rarely, and if it does for you, then you're really a bad user. Frankly you should run a virus and adware scan, and fast, because XP REALLY isn't supposed to crash as frequently as 98. Hell, mine doesn't crash at all, unlike some Windows-haters seem to claim *coughakiracough*.

Exactly. *hugs OS box*

Shadow Hog said:
Sik said:
Are you a programmer that use almost all the available things in the computer and use some DOS programs (the main problem of WinXP)?

No, but I have both programmed and used a lot of DOS programs, and neither give me too many problems. If the latter has troubles, well, that's what DOSbox is for, isn't it?

DOSBox doesn't run DIV Games Studio (and if does, the framerate is extremely low and there is not sound). VMDSound is better (I heard that it have perfect emulation with this program), but however, sometimes it's difficulty to run (I heard!!!)

And the crashes that I get are with Windows programs (oops?)

Programs aren't Windows' fault. That's the fault of the programmer.

And yeah, I should've mentioned VDMSound too, considering I use that frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back