Windows Vista: You got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using XP Media Center, but I get a free upgrade to Windows Vista (Ultimate) for my Toshiba laptop. I'll wait until a few service packs come along.

You know, they're working on another windows version as we speak, it's called Vienna (No, I'm not kidding, that's the actual name.)

Of course they are. While at the same time, ignoring any and all issues Vista itself has. And believe me, it does have plenty of issues.

I have Vista, and I hate it...

I'm lucky that half the games I have work properly on my new laptop, not to mention that the way the interface works is just plain annoying. I double-click on a file, the computer shouldn't ask me: "Are you sure you want to run this program?" I clicked on it goddammit! Yes I want to run the program! If I didn't want to run it, I wouldn't have clicked on it!

I'm using Vista Ultimate right now. (I did not buy it.) I haven't had any problems with it, but it seems that a dual-core CPU is way better for it than a single core, which is what I have now. When using a game (Even Halo: CE, which is not exactly "New"), and voice chat on MSN at the same time, the chat tends to skip and jump a lot, and repeat words for some reason.. although, I did fix this by upping the priority of msnmsgr.exe, but the even the game stutters occasionally due to this.

When not voice chatting or using WMP, though, games do run _faster_ than in XP. For example, XP, I was unable to raise the resolution in FEAR above 1024x768 to 1280x960 in maximum settings, otherwise I'd average around 20-30FPS: In Vista, I achieve this and run at an average of 50FPS. Unfortunately, because Vista uses more memory, I cannot use maximum texture resolution without the game stuttering over and over each time I reach a new area. (Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB DDR2-533 RAM, Geforce 7600GT oc'd to 700/801Mhz).

In terms of none-game performance, it runs faster than XP on the same machine, even while using Aero.

I am hoping they'll do something about the DVD/CD burning, though. It works fine, but its just confusing. the same goes for the disc defragmenter, no longer do we have the good old "This is how many files are fragmented" and the progress bar, instead, we have a box saying "disc defragmenting". That's it. It says it's defragrmenting, but it doesn't tell you how much is left, how much is fragmented, etc. I miss the old one.

Oh, and it takes longer. Much longer.

Disc cleanup is faster, but seems unchanged compared to XP.

Whee!!1

I'm using Ubuntu and XP and the moment. I'm fine with both and don't need Vista. I've used Vista many times at my friends house and have encountered many issues with it.

ree-c said:
I'm using Vista Ultimate right now. (I did not buy it.)
Did you get it as a gift, or did you download it from the internet? If you downloaded it, please tell me where.

I downloaded it, but of course, warez. And then I got some crazy ass crack for it from Cueball. Whoo.

I downloaded Vista Ultimate Lite. It's small enough to fit on a single CD (about 600 MB), and is a WHOLE lot better than the official Vista Ultimate. It's got all kinds of useless crap disabled and/or removed.

ree-c said:
I downloaded it, but of course, warez. And then I got some crazy ass crack for it from Cueball. Whoo.

If I get a load of PMs saying "GIMME THE CRACK!" I'm going to kill you ^_~

Also, same with me, Vista runs faster than XP on the same machine.

I have never had problems with Vista, only some hardware faults that were happening before I installed it. Drivers installed fine, games running smoothly, UT2k4 working perfectly at full spec.

I'm glad I switched, really. And then when I upgrade to an Athlon 6000+ Dual Core, FEAR/Shadowrun/Halo 2 at full spec here I come.

I like XP better, thats what I'm using now. Although I tried to install internet explorer update and now my PC is as fast as an 800 mghz or less, from a 1.6 ghz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back