Windows CE port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I can't remember how I ever found out about this game, but one thing for sure, is that I'll never forget it. :) I decided to download the new .09 version once I found out that the source code was released. I was thinking, since this was based off of the doom engine, and the doom engine was already ported to Window CE devices, that It would be pretty simple to try and port. I was even happier when I read the readme and it said that it was already ported to windows ce. :D The problem is I still can't seem to understand how to use the files given. So I'm asking, can anyone give me some good instruction on how to do this or can they give binaries? I don't mean to take up "important peoples" time, but I know this should be a quick task. Thanks!

I tried to complie this in Visual C++ 2005, but I got some errors that I can't seem to figure how I would go about fixing them. Should I try compiling it in eMbedded Visual C++? Is there a specific place I should put the project file incase the directories weren't correct? Has this version been tested before, becuase if it has, someone could make life easier by releasing binaries. Thanks for your help Logan_GBA, but I would like more info than what you can find in the readme.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I think you need eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 to compile it.

I'm not totally sure if the game completely runs in WinCE or not. I do WinCE programming (at work), but unfortunately I do not have a PocketPC of my own that I can use to try to get this to work better, which I think would be really cool.

But Alam/Logan knows more about it than I do.

SSNTails said:
I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I think you need eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0 to compile it.
well, mostly 4.0, but the project works in 3.0 for the CPUs and SDKS that were droped in 4.0

Okay,
I tried again, and by putting the SDL headers into the correct include directory, I got less errors. I still have a few errors saying that *blah* is an undeclared identifier, so it won't compile till those are fixed. Any ideas?

EDIT: I am using eMbedded VC++ 4.0
EDIT, EDIT:

i_main.c(156) : error C2065: 'STD_INPUT_HANDLE' : undeclared identifier

i_main.c(157) : error C2065: 'FILE_TYPE_CHAR' : undeclared identifier

i_main.c(159) : error C2065: 'ENABLE_LINE_INPUT' : undeclared identifier

i_main.c(159) : error C2065: 'ENABLE_ECHO_INPUT' : undeclared identifier

i_main.c(159) : error C2065: 'ENABLE_PROCESSED_INPUT' : undeclared identifier

'NOTHER EDIT:
Is everyone out there sure there is no binary that anyone kept? This compiling is getting more bizzare the more I do it. The only Windows CE program written in C++ that I every compiled myself was because they gave me the files in all the right places, so everything was set up. Alot of C++ (usually open source) projects I seen make you get all the dependencies yourself, making mistakes all too common. Could someone PLEASE either give good setup directions/.zip with it all set up already or binaries? Thank you to those who do.

Logan_GBA said:
and project files for WinCE building are in src/sdl/SRB2CE/SRB2CE.zip
what part of this that you don't understand?

I don't think that is the part I don't understand. I found the project file extremly quick. The problem is mostly that not all the dependencies were set to the directrories of the Win32 version, so there are errors based on files missing, which is why I believe those 4 errors exist. Also, I think it is trying to steal dependencies that are not for it's platform. I found it asking for the opengl header file, which shouldn't be needed for software mode, along with the fact SDL 1.27 was the only listed dependency in the README. This is problaly not the first time I've had C++ programs that had these kinds of problems, I think it is because peoples computers are set up differently, and the settings are never concise for some developers. I really hope this can be solved. :)

you have to use the lastest version from svn://lawarias.game-server.cc/SRB2109

Okay, I used the subversion files and it seemed to compile without errors (just 2 warnings), but it didn't link. There were 76 errors in linking. Sorry I seem to come here with every little build problem, but I am not good enough in C++ to debug big programs. Any suggestions now, or am I to be left in the dark tunnel as the train continues forward? :?

EDIT: I can post the errors, but I didn't because the usefullness to length ratio wasn't very good.

EDIT2:I comprimised, I put the errors in a text file on my server.
http://zenfulfillment.com/kevin/srb2-linkerrors.txt
After looking at the errors, though, do they possibly mean I need the source to SDL for CE in the include directory? Most of what it can't find are realated to SDL.

It linked now! :D
I found out it was because I had the wrong lib for SDL.lib!
I will test it out now, assuming that all I replace when I copy the folder w/win32 version to windows ce device is to replace with exe given.

EDIT:
After testing it, it seems that it won't work. The program terminates without any output and the game doesn't start up. :( I guess I can't complain too much, at least someone is working on it. :) Hope SRB2CE can get out of WIP soon!

EDIT2:
In case you want to know, I use Windows Mobile 2003 SE, it technically isn't called windows ce, but is based off it.

EDIT3:
Just curious, are logan and alam still working in this port or have they moved on?

When I try to run it on one of my WM2003 SE emulators, it says it isn't a vaild Pocket PC app, while the other one behaves just like my real Pocket PC. Am I missing something still that is making it not even give output, or is it becuase of the actual C++ code?

What device do you use?

I tried SRB2CE several months ago on an iPAQ 3850, with 206mhz processor speed. I think I had only 13mb free. I only got as far as the loading screen, and even then that was rare.

Though I am interested in trying it again once I get my iPAQ hx2495. It has a 520mhz processor with 256mb total memory. I'd imagine that SRB2CE would work on this configuration.

iamacooldude said:
When I try to run it on one of my WM2003 SE emulators, it says it isn't a vaild Pocket PC app, while the other one behaves just like my real Pocket PC. Am I missing something still that is making it not even give output, or is it becuase of the actual C++ code?
are you targeting and building for the right CPU? MIPS binaries will not work on ARMs and etc

also, I'll build a set of WinCE 2003 ARM 1.09.3.31 binaries sometime later today

I have a Dell Axim x30 Advanced (624 mHz) with 64mb internal ram. I think I had about 20mb free program memory, but I might want to check again. I had memory problems with another port of windows software to the Pocket PC, namely Blender Pocket. I have it targeted at Arm v4 processor, which doesn't give that message on my real Pocket PC, just the emulators.(technically, I have an Xscale processor, but it is based off the ARM processor and most ARM stuff I've downloaded works on it, it just won't use it's extra power.) It just does plain nothing on my real Pocket PC.

I already selected those components(windows mobile 2003 and ARMV4 debug), but I don't think I put SDL.dll in the same folder as SRB2CE whenever I've tested it.(oops!) Do I need to compile SDL from source for this, or can I use already compiled Windows CE SDL dll?(as long as they are the same source version)

P.S.
I know it says 1.2.7 in the readme, but I couldn't find any newer than 1.2.6, so I hope there were no big changes since then.

I found a SDL.dll that another program I use uses, and it still resulted in nothing. :( It may not be the right one, but I know it is a new version of the dll. I hope I don't have to compile SDL from source, becuase the last time I tried to compile SDL for CE, it wouldn't compile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back