Wii HD rumor for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, the current Wii has the best titles, the best interface, the best peripherals, but the worst graphics of the three big systems. That little graphics issue is what really gets some people hung up on the Wii. Improve the graphics, and the one flaw in the Wii will be fixed.

I'm pretty sure that this has been debunked as a baseless rumor by now, it even says in the article that the indicators of a Wii HD could have simply resulted from the DSi. They may be planning to overhaul online features of the Wii, but I can't see them focusing on the graphics too extensively any time soon.

The graphics capabilities they have now are already more robust than most 3rd party companies will give them credit for, and it is a small cost to use a stylistic theme rather than a realistic theme in order to get the benefit of the motion controls.

And the 3rd party complaints should not be applicable for much longer. They've avoided the Wii either because it doesn't hit the targeted audiences (which may be an unjust assumption on their part), because they were unsure about what the system could do, or because they don't want to go through the effort of making a game look good by pushing the system rather than staying within comfortable bounds.
However, SEGA is backing multiple games that are set out to please the hardcore and the mature audiences, as if to make a point to the companies that are shunning the Wii. Other companies have openly expressed their regret for not giving the Wii a fair shake, and over the last year we've seen quality titles like Deadly Creatures, De Blob, and Boom Blox that use the advantages of the Wii and minimized the disadvantages to gain renown. Add that to the likes of Conduit coming from SEGA, and we have 3rd parties presenting a decent accompaniment to Nintendo's Punchout!! and Sin and Punishment 2.

Nintendo probably will still be trying to improve the Wii, but I don't think graphics is how they are going to go about it. If anything, they'll do the same thing they did with the DSi and keep strengthening the emphasis on being a capable but still reasonably priced multi-purpose machine with an even stronger focus on internet capabilities.

akirahedgehog: Wow, this only goes to further prove my point that Nintendo puts no thought into their software development. Maybe they should hire a real programmer, and possibly adopt Linux as their underlying operating system (and thus automatically obtain support for things like SD cards without having to code it into the games themselves). I mean, seriously. Take a look at the Pandora. There hasn't even been much coding work done on it yet and look at all the things it can already do! I think people severely underestimate the power of a kernel like Linux.

And honestly, seeing the current path Nintendo's going down (a path into a ditch), I wouldn't at all be surprised if this HD rumor were false.

This is one reason why I want to get a degree in computers in college and become a game designer: I want to put an end to all these problems. But, if I'm to be realistic, even if I COULD change the world of video gaming as a designer, it's the hardware that's the issue in this case, not the games.

akirahedgehog said:
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/
The Wii needs an actual operating system.
What the----

Is this truth? Now I'm impressed that they've even got some fantastic games like Brawl and Madworld.

Wait.........
Uhm.... A friend of mine told me that the Wii is actually well capable of building titles with graphics better than a regular Xbox 360, now before all of you start saying, "What the crap happened," let me explain.

The Wii has a large operating system and as my friend told me, they put most of the coding into the Wiimote and Nunchuck (which as it turns out has much complex coding surprisingly since quite a few 3rd party games use of this feature are badly implemented.) Due to this, their graphics department took a break as they went more for the actual gameplay. So to conclude, Nintendo actually has large coding behind this little white box. It's just that.... Nintendo doesn't even know how to completely work with it.

But as titles like SatBK have proved to me, it still has amazing graphics to boot. I mean seriously.... look at every single blade of that grass..... It's freaking unbelievable. So much detail and wonderful lighting. Looks like low-end Xbox 360 material.

The way I see it, the Wii has low graphics power to simply prove a point that graphics isn't the only selling point for a console. Hence the motion/touch control and the casual focus. But Nintendo are losing the hardcore market mostly because of this different focus. It's hard to take them seriously anymore. Especially with the declining quality of third-party games. Heck, even their first-party range is starting to decline in quality, whether in casual or core games. Furthermore, it's been years and we still haven't seen an F-Zero or Star Fox title, either. Besides Star Fox Command, which was... meh.

The Wii. Good concept, terrible games, while many don't grasp said concept.

Yeah, my decision hasn't changed since I first heard. If they make another Wii, I won't be buying. Then again, my tastes are really different. It wasn't until I played brawl that I realized I bought the wrong console.

Better graphics is a good start, but I think if Nintendo could come up with a better online system I'd be hooked. I mean, do really have to pay ten bucks to play online with minimum lag?

Kitsune said:
Gameplay over graphics. Look at Sonic 06.
That game didn't have gameplay OR graphics.

As for Wii being more powerful than a 360? Don't count on it, it just won't happen. Sorry to say, your friend has no idea what he's talking about :)
Can the Wii do pretty graphics? Sure, the Mario games and the Sonic games show that it's totally possible. Can they do what a 360 can? Hells naw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back