Why is my ping always so high?

Andromeda

Amateur Mapper and Local Dumbass
Whenever I connect to a server, my ping for the server is always really high (like usually over 200ms)
Is this a problem with my side, and can it be fixed?

There's no way I can play on servers like this.
and there's no way anybody else would put up with it, either.

Whenever I connect to a server, my ping for the server is always really high (like usually over 200ms)

It all depends on what your internet quality is, and where you live relative to the server host.
This is unfixable.

So basically, I'm fucked?
Unless someone hosts a server that isn't on the other side of the Planet?

So basically, I'm fucked?
Unless someone hosts a server that isn't on the other side of the Planet?
...Yeah.
Though, I can't see how 200+ ping is...completely horrible.
I've seen worse.
500, 600.
But if it's really that bad, then I'd check the MS browser on this site to see where the server is being hosted and find out how close they are relative to you.

edit: i meant check the ms browser to find nearby servers that you won't have trouble lagging in- i felt like that wasn't very clear-

Still, 200ms is a whole 2 seconds delay.

guess I need to learn how to think 2 seconds in the future.

The first thing to do when troubleshooting your Internet connection is to determine the source of your connection issues. First, you should check whether your connection is to blame at all: Go to your computer, disconnect all other devices and computers from your network, close all programs on your computer and all browser windows and tabs (and if you've got an antivirus in the background, it's recommended to temporarily disable it or its Web protection component), and then open this:
Wait until the rabbit at the top stops running (this could take a minute or so). You should then get the final result of your connection test, and it should also give you estimations in simple words of how good your connection is for video streaming, online gaming, and video conferencing.
If you get a good result, then it's simply a matter of which servers you play at, and there's probably not much you can do. If you don't get a good result, then you should do further troubleshooting to determine the source of your not-good connection, and there are things you can do in this case. (EDIT: Feel free to post a screenshot of your result; I could try and help you understand what it means. You can also blur or blacken your IP address and the map to conceal your IP address and location. And if you turned off your antivirus, don't forget to turn it on after the test is finished.)
200ms is a whole 2 seconds delay
200 ms = 0.2 seconds.
2000 ms = 2 seconds.

1691499324750.png
1691499784919.png

200 ms = 0.2 seconds.
2000 ms = 2 seconds.
My bad.
Feels like longer than 0.2 seconds tho
But it does read around 200

Also, seems like It's just coz of where I am. connection looks good, just far away from where all the servers are being hosted

Last edited:
View attachment 98368

My bad.
Feels like longer than 0.2 seconds tho
But it does read around 200
Seems like your connection is good enough. Your jitter does increase to ten times when loaded compared to when not loaded, but the difference amounts to only 20 ms or so. So if you're playing in a server with 180 ms ping, during play it could fluctuate to 200 ms ping. Not such a meaningful difference I think. EDIT: Okay that's not ten times but twenty times and a 40 ms difference. But it still shouldn't matter a lot.

a few things you can check:
  • try running netstat 1 in the console and checking the statistics. if your gamemiss value is high, you're suffering packet loss, which could be caused by all kinds of things, some of them you can fix yourself.
  • when looking through the server list, check the server that has the lowest ping (should be sorted by ping by default). if there are servers with <100 ms ping, then chances are you've just been joining servers that you don't have a good connection to (which i suspect is the case since according to the speed test, you live in Melbourne, which is pretty far away from Europe and USA where most servers are hosted).
  • i've seen many people complain about lag when in reality, it's the game being laggy. run showfps 1 in the console and join a server, and if your fps counter drops, it's your PC that's slow. if so, my only advice to you is to lower graphical options or if that doesn't work (which i've found is almost always the case because SRB2's biggest bottleneck is CPU), you might need to upgrade your PC hardware.
but as with all of these issues with ping, it's really hard to know the cause since there's so much that it could be wrong with. the internet speed test is good information, but there's so many more factors other than your connection to specifically CloudFlare (since that's what you tested) that's the problem here, since what you connect to can impact latency and packet loss on your ISP due to different PPP routes.

I'll try the other two things, but filtering the server list by Ping, the lowest is ALWAYS over 100ms
Post automatically merged:

Average day on the lowest ping server

Attachments

• srb20077.png
    srb20077.png
    354 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Average day on the lowest ping server
from what i see, packet loss is not an issue (15% is fine, i can get that over LAN even) and your framerate should be fine (the FPS counter is broken in the current version, and reports bogus framerates at times). the only thing i can think of to be the issue of is that you live too far away from any servers to get a good latency, since not a single server in the master servers are located in australia from what i see.

The issue is likely location, yes. It’s an extremely common complaint from people who live in Oceania or Southeast Asia.

a few things you can check:
  • try running netstat 1 in the console and checking the statistics. if your gamemiss value is high, you're suffering packet loss, which could be caused by all kinds of things, some of them you can fix yourself.
  • when looking through the server list, check the server that has the lowest ping (should be sorted by ping by default). if there are servers with <100 ms ping, then chances are you've just been joining servers that you don't have a good connection to (which i suspect is the case since according to the speed test, you live in Melbourne, which is pretty far away from Europe and USA where most servers are hosted).
  • i've seen many people complain about lag when in reality, it's the game being laggy. run showfps 1 in the console and join a server, and if your fps counter drops, it's your PC that's slow. if so, my only advice to you is to lower graphical options or if that doesn't work (which i've found is almost always the case because SRB2's biggest bottleneck is CPU), you might need to upgrade your PC hardware.
but as with all of these issues with ping, it's really hard to know the cause since there's so much that it could be wrong with. the internet speed test is good information, but there's so many more factors other than your connection to specifically CloudFlare (since that's what you tested) that's the problem here, since what you connect to can impact latency and packet loss on your ISP due to different PPP routes.
The good thing is that the Cloudflare speed test also tests bufferbloat, jitter, and packet loss, and not just idle ping and download/upload throughput. The other good thing about it is that Cloudflare is one of the leading CDN companies in the world, and they've got a huge anycast network with servers spread all over the world, so not only the probability that someone would have a bad result testing with Cloudflare but in reality actually have good connection, it's also better than other "speed" tests because it tests a real-world condition of trying to connect to a real CDN company actually used by many websites and not just a test server like with Speedtest.net.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back