Why have there been so little new WADs lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Jet the Hedgehog
well why? Is anybody working on something or releasing something? I'm just getting bored because of shortage of WADs.

The editing side of the community is not as inactive as you might think. There are actually a few MODs in development including SRB2Heroes, STH360.wad, and SRB2Unleashed, although they're all WADbase exclusive, which is why it might seem like not much is going on.

Otherwise, I suppose everyone's waiting for SRB2ME.

People don't want to work too much just for their stuff to become outdated in a month

When SRB2ME does come out we would most likely see an swarm of new levels, Mods, Socs and character wads, cant say that they would all be great though.

Ok I got it they want the new version mto come out so they can make new WADs for it... Right?

You know, there IS a level converter program floating around out there. I think that in lieu of 1.1's release date being announced, the topic for it was quietly removed; who would want a cobweb-infested topic relating to 1.1, right? Or perhaps it could have been that someone realised 1.1 level formats were going to change some more, and couldn't be bothered to update the converter every new SVN commit.

Blue Warrior said:
The editing side of the community is not as inactive as you might think. There are actually a few MODs in development including SRB2Heroes, STH360.wad, and SRB2Unleashed, although they're all WADbase exclusive, which is why it might seem like not much is going on.

Otherwise, I suppose everyone's waiting for SRB2ME.

SRB2Heroes sucks, STH360.wad USED to suck, but the pics of the revamp look really awesome. As for SRB2U, I can't say myself since it's my little project.

The thing I don't really like is how the only popular mods in progress on the Base are based off of Sonic games. SRB2U was really just started because I wanted to show a couple of users in an IRC channel at the time that users would go apeshit if I showed proof of an Unleashed mod, and for the most part, it worked, but I ended up getting somewhat devoted to a project that might turn out good, so I continued progress on it. I always find strange ways to start off levels or levels packs, like with Radiant Way, which was started off when I was toying around with the Generate Stairs function in SRB2DB, hence the 'slope' in Mount Dawn act 1.

The level converter can deal with level architecture, but it can't deal with SOCs at all, so large mods aren't exactly going to want to get started right now because they'll have to recode all their SOCs and pretty much anything that isn't the level architecture itself.

Also, even the level architecture isn't 100% backwards compatible either, such as the Silver Ring being converted to the Super Ring on the conversion.

fawfulfan said:
Hold on, there's a LEVEL CONVERTER!? Wow, that's awesome!
You didn't know about that? It was mentioned on the SRB2Wiki a long time ago.
Chrispy said:
People don't want to work too much just for their stuff to become outdated in a month
That is my reason for laying off on spriting for custom characters, since I'll have to turn right around and recolor all of them into the new palette.
Although I have been working on one more character at the WADBase despite that, progress is currently dirt slow because of my lack of motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back