Why Doom Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, with a little modification, blenders game engine could work....

All that needs modding is the speed of people, and the powers

DashFox2007 said:
1.jpg

Doom Legacy was chosen, because, at the time, it had the feature set we needed most. Floor over floors, and believe it or not, the best internet netcode at the time. Obviously, lots has changed since then in Doom ports, but our hacked up version of Legacy is good enough for our needs, if not anywhere near as pretty.

BlueZero4 said:
Starting from GZDoom means no FOF support. At all.

You're thinking of ZDoom. GZDoom has full 3D floors(FOFs+real slopes) with FOF code inherited from Doom Legacy.

All I did was use FOFs and ceiling items to make stuff above and below the floor. It's not a very good tactic, because.

1. Slowdown in large rooms
2. Doesn't reflect your character sprite.
3. Looks like crap in both renderers.

Mystic said:
Obviously, lots has changed since then in Doom ports, but our hacked up version of Legacy is good enough for our needs, if not anywhere near as pretty.
Add slopes to the SRB2 engine and you get the best raycasting engine in existence. Seriously, I think that's the only feature that would be missing because as far as I know, every other feature made into a raycasting engine ever is already in SRB2. It's just way extremely powerful already.

Mystic said:
Doom Legacy was chosen, because, at the time, it had the feature set we needed most. Floor over floors, and believe it or not, the best internet netcode at the time. Obviously, lots has changed since then in Doom ports, but our hacked up version of Legacy is good enough for our needs, if not anywhere near as pretty.

Wasn't the build engine available at the time? I'm pretty sure it supported FOFs and slopes.

Take into mind it started being Sonic Doom 2, not SRB2 directly! And Sonic Doom 2 was meant to use Doom 2 :P Remember it all started before SRB2 ever was thought of.

Ice said:
Wasn't the build engine available at the time? I'm pretty sure it supported FOFs and slopes.

Build does not support FOFs, those catwalks in Duke3D are a hack like the 'bridges' in ZDoom are.

Build engine is under a more restrictive license, has extremely poor editing tool support, had no source code for the LONGEST time, and is also written in Watcom-C and a pain to port (if I remember right, the windows source port of Duke that is available now is practically a whole rewrite). Build is also even less incompatible with OpenGL due to the way it drew the screen (see last sentence).

This is why Tailz Nukem never got past a piece of concept artwork.

SSNTails said:
Ice said:

Build does not support FOFs, those catwalks in Duke3D are a hack like the 'bridges' in ZDoom are.

I was expecting something like that.

It's based off 1.32 beta 4 but I kept adding all the relevant changes they made up through the last version (1.42??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back