Why are we allowed to backport assets/anything forward but not backward?

yfyfyfyfyfy

The dumbest man
(actually I don't want to backporting any content somewhere, but I think this topic should be raised on the forum)

The idea of the board is to release stuff for the current version of the game.
There's fun to be had backporting, but why should the forum support it?

The point of allowing ports to the current version is to ensure any content, should a person be willing to put the effort through to port it, can be played on the current version that the vast majority of people play on in the first place. Allowing people to port stuff to other versions makes things a far bigger pain both for the Judges, as well as the average user, and doesn't have much purpose in the end. If you're going to port a version, why not the most recent one given it has the most features available to make use of anyway.

Regarding taking mods from 2.2 to 2.1, that's just making a worse version of the mod generally to not much benefit as much as I think demakes are pretty interesting it's full on modifying someone's elses work for no real reason but because.

I believe allowing backports may require clarification on the requirement that said port is to be a faithful remake only unless permission was granted by the original creator. The reason being that 2.2 currently has a lot of features that do not exist in 2.1, so in most cases it is not possible to have a one-to-one match with the 2.2 version. This will only get more difficult once all of the kart ports start pouring in and addons are updated to use the new features.

Now if someone wanted to backport a mod to SRB2 2.0 or a more recent derivative, then it gets really dicey with many of the Lua functions missing and no slopes. My recommendation is that if your machine can run version 2.2, then just stick with 2.2 and focus on forward porting.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back