What's Your Favorite Music/Genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbop800

BboP
Since there was a topic about this in the video games section, I decided to make a topic about it in general.

So, what's your favorite song/genre? Genres could be rock, electronic/techno, dance, religion, rap, etc. And the artists can range from Scatman John, Daft Punk, Linkin Park, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber (lol), and... I think I've made my point. In other words, think of ANY of your favorite things involving music. (Besides video games, as those are reserved for the video game section.)

Discuss.

I used to be a fan of rock, but now I like pop, reggaeton and latin pop, mainly from the ones listed below (wich I have more than 3 entire albums in my iPod) these are my favorite singer/groups and songs:

Lady Gaga (Bad Romance/ Poker Face)
Michael Jackson (Beat it/ Smooth Criminal)
Bacilos (Cara de la Luna/ Mi Primer Millon)
Soda Stereo (Musica Ligera)
Daddy Yankee (Llamada de Emergencia/ Cuentame)
Rick Astley (Together Forever/ Take me to your heart)
Black Eyed Peas (Let´s get Retarded/ Where is the Love)
Bon Jovi (Say it isn´t so/ You give Love a Bad Name)
Shakira (Hips don´t Lie/ Estoy Aqui *shot till death*)
Falco (Der Komissar/ Rock me Amadeus)

You should try youtubing some of these songs, you may end up liking one of these great artists.

Hip-Hop. Lots and lots of Hip-Hop.

Don't get me wrong, I have an eclectic taste in music, but I love Hip-Hop.

(Edit: 2 and 3 have naughty words. 1 is instrumental, so you're set.)

In general, my musical taste is pretty diverse, but I'm quite demanding. In most cases, I'm only interested in music that is fairly complex. That can be almost anything however, ranging from classical music over jazz fusion and prog rock to heavy metal (and beyond). To round things off, examples:

Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead - Very obscure heavy/doom metal band from the 80s, with an amazing guitarist and possibly the weirdest singer on earth
Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land - I rediscovered this just yesterday when listening to "Piece of Mind", and I was utterly amazing even though I already knew the song through and through. Lyrics based on Frank Herbert's novel "Dune", long instrumental passages that quote classical music etc. (Live version because Sony and Warner Bros. are being bitches on German YouTube)
Return To Forever - The Sorceress - None of you probably heard of Chick Corea, Lenny White, Stanley Clarke and AlDiMeola, but if you were into jazz, they'd be your Gods. Very funky, extremely complex and utterly beautiful. AGain, live performance, but this time because this version is utterly amazing.
Sonic Youth - Unmade Bed - Sonic Youth are basically indie rock heroes. They use weird guitar tuning, lots of experimental noise and three guitars playing trippy melodies at the same time. This one is rather calm, but stunning.
Pearl Jam - Red Mosquito - Possibly the least complex thing I linked here, but still far from your usual rock music. You might know Pearl Jam as a Grunge band, but that's not really accurate.
Carl Orff - O Fortuna - Please don't go all "Ooh, I know that" at the beginning, but listen to the overlooked second half.
Rush - Xanadu - Rush are amazing, end of story. Penopat made a level called "La Villa Strangiato", whose name comes from another great song of theirs.

Okay, those are quite a few examples, I tried to be as diverse as possible. That said, I could now rave on how I hate almost everything anyone else linked here, because I find it shallow, boring etc., but I don't wanna annoy you.

EDIT:
Scatman John, Daft Punk, Linkin Park, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber (lol), and...
Was that supposed to be a diverse selection? If so, it's not. Also, why do you people keep misspelling Bieber?

Last edited:
When I was little, I listened to Classical music all the time. I developed a lifelong appreciation for it...but I don't listen to it much. Mostly I listen to songs which are mostly Rock but also have some Pop elements. My three favorite groups are Counting Crows, Daughtry, and the Fray.

The same "<3" goes back to that DJ Shadow track. I'm normally not into hip-hop at all (especially not if it's vocals-oriented), but I really dig that one. The more trippy stuff Gorillaz did feels half-assed in comparison to this.

EDIT: The second one is blocked by Sony (like virtually EVERYTHING), and the third one is too vocal-heavy for me, although the backup track isn't bad.

EDIT2: I am now completely hooked on "Endtroducing...". I rarely heard something that's this trippy yet detail-obsessed at the same time. Easily one of the best and most innovative records made in the 90s.

Last edited:
I like of various, but most of them are from Brazil, but I like some internationals too, like:
Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Eyed Peas, one of the musics of Iron Maiden, and others that I don't remember now.

Like SpiritCrusher (I should stop having so much in common with him :<), I have a pretty varied taste in music, and I don't like music that's too simple. There are some exceptions though. However, unlike him, I haven't heard a lot of different bands, as my music collection is rather small.
Some of my favorites include:

Knights Of Cydonia - Muse
As some people might now, I really like Muse, and this song is their best work in my opinion. Sure, they have many other awesome songs, but this one is just the best.

Inis Mona - Eluveitie
Eluveitie is another band that I really like, while it's definetly different from most of the music I listen to. This song is rather different compared to their other songs, and that's what made me like this one over the rest.

Flag In The Ground - Sonata Arctica
I used to love this band, but my admiration lowered over time. Their newest album (where this song comes from) is rather unorthodox compared to their usual power metal fare, but Flag In The Ground is a nice throwback to their older albums, while also having the professionalism from their newer albums.

Oltremare - Ludovico Einaudi
A stark contrast to what I've linked so far, I like a lot of Einaudi's solo piano work. This song is definitely his most complex piece so far, and it is quite lengthy (11 minutes, you have to like this to not get tired by it).

I have many other favorite bands and artists, but these songs are my absolute favorites.

Let's see.

• Classical that's relatively interesting
  • Some 50s/60s pop/rock (The Beatles, Little Eva, etc)
  • Disco ->
    • Full-ensemble strings music (Abba and so on)
    • Electro Boogie (Stuff like You Make Me Feel by Sylvester)
    • Italo Disco (Not really Disco, but it can go under it)
      • Hi-NRG
      • Stock-Aitken-Waterman stuff
      • Original Eurobeat
  • Limited amount of 'real' Metal (stuff like what SpiritCrusher pointed out)
  • Some 90s stuff, mostly certain VG music and occasionally some types of dance, but not many
  • A small subset of today's music.
  • Some miscellaneous stuff.

The same "<3" goes back to that DJ Shadow track. I'm normally not into hip-hop at all (especially not if it's vocals-oriented), but I really dig that one. The more trippy stuff Gorillaz did feels half-assed in comparison to this.

EDIT2: I am now completely hooked on "Endtroducing...". I rarely heard something that's this trippy yet detail-obsessed at the same time. Easily one of the best and most innovative records made in the 90s.

Endtroducing... is one of those albums that comes out of nowhere and just blows everything away. It really shows what Hip-Hop can be. I think the most brilliant part of it is that it's 100% sampled, meaning that all of the music that you hear in it is taken from clips of other songs.

I think I'm a little less open-minded about music than I am of most other media. Pop bugs me, I can't stand rap, and I refuse to listen to death metal. I do find however that while I don't tend to like many music genres, I'm still open to a good song if I can approach it on its own merits and not as a part of its genre.

The only genre I consistently (for the most part) like is new age which is sorta neo-folk. Enya is a good example although she's practically got a genre to herself by now, and many soundtracks also have elements of this in there. That said, "New Age" doesn't seem to really be a standard genre name, and Folk is way too broad.
I've seen some bands... such as Evanescence, Darsgaard(sp?) and Within Temptation combine new age with metal for quite excellent results although I always prefer the ones that favor ambiance over the metal instruments. Additionally, while I like the music, I generally don't like the theme of these bands... but then, I don't think that's unusual.

I'll do you guys a favor and not link any songs, because you know that sooner or later I'll toss it in your face anyway. This is a topic about opinions, not recommendations. :E

Also, I think the TC worded it wrong. He said this was supposed to be the general version of the VG section one. Which said to post your favorite kind of Video Game music.

I used to be a fan of only Pop and Rock, with a bit a Trance here or there. However, I've been getting into Jazz a lot lately, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back