What type of content do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos

I prefer SOCS and levels, SOCS can make pretty damn interesting things, and levels add more to do.

Same. On the other hand, I despise character WADs unless they have something unique about them, like a custom ability, or that telekinesis thing Draykon made. [/endrant]

Anything that has had enough effort put into it to be worth using. Unfortunately that narrows the range by quite a bit.

If we were to assume that they all had a decent amount effort put into them, I'd prefer levels.

To be honest, I enjoy generic levels. As long as everything in them works like it's supposed to and looks good while doing it, I'm happy. Too many clashing themes spoil the map, and textures that don't fit quite perfectly with the theme throw me off. Too often I see people using textures and flats in places and ways that just don't work. I dislike the use of any "realistic" texture. Realistic textures have no place in Sonic games. Sonic is not supposed to be realistic. If Sonic games were realistic in any way, floating platforms would not float. Springs would not send you so high. Rings would not protect you from death. I'd prefer more generic textures to be available so the themes aren't overused, but still. Checkerboard works well for levels and it will always be that way, even if it is an automatic "Generic" stamp.

Boinciel, my problem with generic levels is that most of them keep using the same stuff over and over again. There's no change in the scenery being used, so there's really nothing to differentiate between the areas. Oddly, I'm starting to love Jade Coast because you can actually tell where you are by looking at the level around you. I can't say that applies for all maps.

And yeah, I realize that comment was directed at me. Just be happy that my next map is two different texture sets hand in hand. Heck, the theme's still all over the place like NSZ, though only if you're looking at the aritechture. ;)

No way, BZ4 is starting to like a Mystic Realm level?! =P

Anyways, what I like to see in a level is:

A: Challenging, but not cheap gameplay... I don't mind jumping over a pit, so long as the entire level is not jumping over a pit with little to jump from.

B: Unity, the level should not be a series of rooms. It should be a whole piece or at the very least split into only a few areas.

C: Consistent theme... Don't go from a desert into a jungle in the same level, make multiple levels.

D: Fresh theme, if I've seen it before, I'm more likely to be bored. The more different the theme of the level, and the accompanying gimmicks and detail, the more I'd want to explore it.

E: Balanced linearity is vital, because if I'm going to choose from a couple paths, I don't want to completely bypass half the level. Paths should meet periodically.

Finally a note too important to be assigned to a letter:

--Platforming, don't make it all gimmicks because it is the platforming that makes the game, and the gimmicks that sell it. Gimmicks can be cool, but don't overlook the classic run and jump.

However I still hold that I'll really only want to try something that has clearly had a deal of effort put into it. Even a beginner can make a decent map with enough effort.

As for Some Guy's maps, they often go a little heavy on the detail, but are typically pretty solid. Its nothing a few added barriers could fix in most situations anyways. VFZ is flat and the platforming in it is somewhat cheap or similarily boring, while I don't really hate it... I can see how it is not a model for good map-making.

I _KNOW_ that was directed even further at me. Honestly, why didn't this stuff come around at contest voting, again?

JEV3 said:
C: Consistent theme... Don't go from a desert into a jungle in the same level, make multiple levels.
Oh, the irony! Forever Forest Zone is a sand level with trees eevrywhere. However, the trees are in with the sand. They're not seperated.

JEV3 said:
As for Some Guy's maps, they often go a little heavy on the detail, but are typically pretty solid.
Detail? DETAIL?!? Are you KIDDING me? Do we have different versions or something? Verdant Forest, even if it wasn't exactly detailed, it still wasn't a killer. Falling down in Verdant Forest leaves you with... water. Metal Flower leaves you with a big giant pit trying to swallow you up, and respawn you 20 seconds later after the level loads. Again. Even if Verdant Forest didn't rock my socks off, I can still stand behind it as better than most of the other crap in the forum.

Hmmm... Lets see.

I played through the level again, just a quick start up and run in Software... Lost one life at the area with the electric floor, and even took the path you have in the screenshot. Completed the level in a little over seven minutes. It was really fun and I wish there were more levels for SRB2 like it.

Maybe I didn't go through the level at max-speed, at one point I fell into a large room that it took about thirty seconds to get back out of due to hard-to-find springs. However I didn't die from the pits or the toxic river in the outer area.

That is the sort of content I'd like to see, perhaps its not perfect, but it was really fun to play even with just a quick startup at a quarter after one in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back