What is your favorite wad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What level design experience? =P

I have to admit that I have yet to finish it with Sonic (without using a life cheat for just ONE additional life) but I personally enjoyed it alot. It isn't that flat and I've avoided alot of these 'unavoidable hazards'. And it is also much more fast paced than his other map, Egg Palace, due to there being less death pits.

It is actually a little straightforward until you decide to start exploring, where you can then get lost until you get back on track. (the outside area pretty much was the biggest culprit... but the beginning was also guilty of this crime) I only ever got lost outside and at the beginning.

It is the factory theme, the explorability, and the flow that makes it top my faves... Of course, I'm a bit biased as far as factory levels go.

The other *extraordinary* map by Someguy, Egg Palace... was somewhat of a nuisance with the frequent deathpits... but still had the detail and interesting gameplay that I love about his levels. However my memories of jumping from platform to platform over a death put hampers my memory of it, so it is in 'honorable mention'...

I like ingenuity in a level... and it is clear when MFZ tops Mystic Realm, Acid Missile tops Blue Heaven... Morph's pack was a little too slow or painfully hard in some places, otherwise you would see RDZ2 up there topping Blue Heaven.

Much like your experience with Egg Palace is characterized by platforming above deathpit, my experience with Metal Flower is characetrized by THZ turrets, detons, getting lost, falling into the "scenery" with no way to get out, and general flatness. While no, I can't say that Egg Palace is any better, I at least enjoyed Egg Palace some the first time I went through it. The first time I saw Metal Flower, I fell in the lower part with conveyors and THZ turrets near the beginning. I couldn't find a way out without killing myself, so I declared it a n00b's work and went on my way.

So then the question becomes, what _IS_ a good level? No, I'm not going to give you an unhuman strict definition of a "good" level. As for me, I characterize a level by what I feel while playing it. Both Egg Palace and Metal Flower frustrate me greatly. On the other hand, Aero Shrine is a relatively slow and easy-going level. All three are beautiful when you stop and look at the scenery; what makes the difference is how the level plays out. As for this, I can't tell you exactly what to look for, but a word I've heard a lot is "flow". I personally don't liek the word, because a flat open sector has good flow. There also has to be something that actually gives the level substance: something to enjoy.

And no, I wouldn't just rank all the levels made in the entire SRB2 community by saying "Techno Hill 2 is the best level ever, with Aero Shrine closely on its tail." If that was true, nobody would make any levels. We need new levels to play through; having favorites just becomes rather useless, really.

You can thank Arrow for that, Super Sonic Oblivion. Any music used in Blue Heaven that isn't originally in SRB2 is a midi from Arrow's site.

My favorite wad? Mystic Realm. It's so much better than my own level pack.

I'd have to say that Aquatic Ruin by Flame the Hedgehog is quite fun for race.
Sapphire Falls is my fave for match, and is good for monitor bouncing
Acid Missile has many fun levels, and Slime Silo's boss is inventive. The srb1 mod is also good.

BlueZero4 said:
I can't tell you exactly what to look for, but a word I've heard a lot is "flow". I personally don't liek the word, because a flat open sector has good flow. There also has to be something that actually gives the level substance: something to enjoy.
I call it 'funky flow'. </parappatherapperreference>

Seriously though, there are so many things that make a good map that it is impossible to list them all.

Jason The Hedgehog said:
Lightning_The_Hedghog said:
I don't have a favorite wad

Then why even waste your time posting in this topic? I wanted to know about peoples favorite wads. If you don't have one then just don't post.
I don't have a favorite wad because I can't choose which wad is my favorite. If you don't understand me.....FIND OUT WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY BY YOURSELF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back