What is your favorite book series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyrus

I think its about time we had one of these topics.

Anyway, my favorite book series is a tie between the Redwall series or the Harry Potter series.

Book series usually are not enjoyable, as they are boring and have a stale plot line.

Fyrus said:
Anyway, my favorite book series is a tie between the Redwall series or the Harry Potter series.

Those are my favorite book series' as well! Though I do prefer Redwall over Harry Potter.

Harry Potter, Pendragon, and the Edge Chronicles. I'm actually an administrator on the Edge Chronicles Wiki.

Narnia's just about the only specific series I cared to read all through. 'twas a blast.

The Lord of the Rings - Also counting The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin, I started the series in first grade and aside from CoH (which wasn't out yet), I had them finished by fourth grade. It was the first series of books I took a serious liking to, and I have an obsessive, excessive, and intensive knowledge about the entire history of Middle-earth. I could even name the circumstances and participants of each intermarriage between elves and men. (Unless you'd find the story of Akallabeth "She that hath fallen" more interesting... or rather the invasion of the dreaded Witch-king on the North-kingdom of Arnor? Or perhaps the way these all fit together in the Dark Lord's master plan...)

Redwall - I was introduced to it at a very early age through the tv series. I decided to read the books after I finished The Lord of the Rings and my family banned Harry Potter. I've been a fan of the series ever since, particularly of "Pearls of Lutra" and "Mattimeo". "Eulalia" seemed comparatively watered down, but I've heard the latest is every bit as dark as "Mattimeo" or "Martin the Warrior" was... the latter of which was probably the biggest tearjerker I've read as of yet.

[spoiler:bd412dd286]Though Gandalf's death in "The Fellowship of the Ring" had me pretty bummed out. Just after I found out my favorite dwarf from "The Hobbit" had also died. D= [/spoiler:bd412dd286]

EDIT: I can't believe I actually bothered to put spoiler tags around that everyone and their grandmother knows what happens at the end of "The Fellowship of the Ring".

luis90 said:
Book series usually are not enjoyable, as they are boring and have a stale plot line.

Wow... You must not read enough book series. Most, I find, have unique ideas and an excellent or OK plot line. Your statement makes me think you highly unread, to be honest.

EDIT: Err sorry. 1 in 3 books I read catch my interest. But that doesn't change how I felt about your statement.

I've read a lot of books, and 1 in 6 actually catch my attention. Most I find uninteresting and boring, and have suckish plot lines. And plot holes. A LOT OF THEM.
The last one I read really caught my attention and I was a little heart broken from it.

I'll take any opportunity I can get to link this...

trekbooks.JPG

I'm not much of a book person myself, but the three books I read of the Artemis Fowl series a while back were enjoyable.

Otherwise, I'm currently going through Fahrenheit 451; not a heavy read, but it's an interesting plot.

Between Pendragon and Harry Potter, and the His Dark materials trilogy (The Golden Compass >_>)

I know this isn't what the topic is about, but I seriously hate the stupidity of The Series of Unfortunate Events

I personally don't read books as I tend to get easily distracted and loose where I was. But I might try reading some of my old books again.

sonic260 said:
I know this isn't what the topic is about, but I seriously hate the stupidity of The Series of Unfortunate Events

When I was younger, I loved those. But looking back, I think they fail in terms of rereadability. They are pretty childish compared with the books I mentioned.

Fyrus said:
luis90 said:

Wow... You must not read enough book series. Most, I find, have unique ideas and an excellent or OK plot line. Your statement makes me think you highly unread, to be honest.

EDIT: Err sorry. 1 in 3 books I read catch my interest. But that doesn't change how I felt about your statement.

I said book series, mind you. Generally I enjoy single books, most book series I find have not been nice to me.

fawfulfan said:
sonic260 said:

When I was younger, I loved those. But looking back, I think they fail in terms of rereadability. They are pretty childish compared with the books I mentioned.

I disliked them back then, and I still fail to see the charm in them now. What's the point of reading the story if the author constantly ruins the whole plot for you?

The Discworld novels, if they can be considered a series. They have some manner of order, but it's not needed to read them in order to appreciate them, although you do pick up on some "nods" if you do read them in order, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back