Wads from old ver to new ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikslg

Hi again i tried use wad Die.wad in new version and game got crushed
Why this is going? In old version this been without problems

Thats because that wad is from an older version of the game and only the 2.0 wad's will work properly, older ones will turn very weird and unplayable when you try to add them. Use lvlconv.exe to convert them to work with the current version (Comes with the game).

Not only that, but die.wad requires ADDITIONAL conversions due to the way it was built, and the changes that the level converter can't do, AND you need to convert one additional texture to the new pallete by taking it out, changing the set pallete, and loading it in again. Also, I think you can expect die.wad to lag 9001 times more, IIRC.

NO

Everyone and there mother had one day, and it was a horrible, lagtacular mess in netgames, and a lazy port. Just stuck with it in 1.09, where you have the grace to use SRB2JTE's OpenGL, or learn to convert it yourself. Converting levels and making necessary adjustments is NOT HARD. Just follow the lvlconv topic instructions, make the nessesarry manual changes, convert that ONE texture, and it's all good to go. Besides, die.wad seems so stale and boring now.

Last edited:
Not all WADs can be converted automatically. It varies, depending on the kind of WAD you want to convert.

Plain old levels are the easiest to convert...just use lvlconv.exe like LightspeedX said. I think that you could convert Die.wad that way, but I'd have to look at its lumps to make sure. KEEP IN MIND: lvlconv.exe is more of a function than a stand-alone program. As I'm sure you've noticed nothing happens if you just click the icon for lvlconv.exe. You've got to run it through cmd.exe, and specify what you want it to do.

If it's a set of levels rather than a single one, the process will have more steps, as you'll have to factor in all of the levels in your conversion process. In your case, you're better off simply downloading an already converted version here.

Character WADs are harder. You've got to convert them to SRB2 2.0's palette, and there's no automatic way of doing so. You can, however, set XWE's IWAD to the 1.09.4 version of srb2.srb (or, if your WAD is really, REALLY old, the 1.08 version), export all of the graphics lumps to bitmap, change the IWAD to the 2.0 version, and load the graphics back in. It's time-consuming, but it will work. There are also parts of the WAD (usually SOCs in the MAINCFG or OBJCTCFG lumps) which cannot be converted because the newest version has a different SOC library. You may have no choice but to scrap those parts, which might mean your character will no longer have the unique special ability it once had.

Large scale mods are even more of a pain. Certain portions can usually be converted easily, but others can't. And since many mods are heavily socced, you may have to do away with some code, which will mean a substantially different gaming experience if you DO manage to get it all converted.

Hardest of all to convert are hard-coded EXE mods. There is simply no way to convert these, so you'll have to completely rewrite and recompile the source code. Fortunately, I don't think you're yet at the level where you'll need to do anything like this.

Anyway...I hope that explanation was helpful to you.

Last edited:
NO

Everyone and there mother had one day, and it was a horrible, lagtacular mess in netgames, and a lazy port. Just stuck with it in 1.09, where you have the grace to use SRB2JTE's OpenGL, or learn to convert it yourself. Converting levels and making necessary adjustments is NOT HARD. Just follow the lvlconv topic instructions, make the nessesarry manual changes, convert that ONE texture, and it's all good to go.
I cant convert becouse lvlconv.exe doesnt launch :(

Not all WADs can be converted automatically. It varies, depending on the kind of WAD you want to convert.

Plain old levels are the easiest to convert...just use lvlconv.exe like LightspeedX said. I think that you could convert Die.wad that way, but I'd have to look at its lumps to make sure. However, if it's a set of levels rather than a single one, the process will have more steps, as you'll have to factor in all of the levels in your conversion process. In your case, you're better off simply downloading an already converted version here.

Character WADs are harder. You've got to convert them to SRB2 2.0's palette, and there's no automatic way of doing so. You can, however, set XWE's IWAD to the 1.09.4 version of srb2.srb (or, if your WAD is really, REALLY old, the 1.08 version), export all of the graphics lumps to bitmap, change the IWAD to the 2.0 version, and load the graphics back in. It's time-consuming, but it will work. There are also parts of the WAD (usually SOCs in the MAINCFG or OBJCTCFG lumps) which cannot be converted because the newest version has a different SOC library. You may have no choice but to scrap those parts, which might mean your character will no longer have the unique special ability it once had.

Large scale mods are even more of a pain. Certain portions can usually be converted easily, but others can't. And since many mods are heavily socced, you may have to do away with some code, which will mean a substantially different gaming experience if you DO manage to get it all converted.

Hardest of all to convert are hard-coded EXE mods. There is simply no way to convert these, so you'll have to completely rewrite and recompile the source code. Fortunately, I don't think you're yet at the level where you'll need to do anything like this.

Anyway...I hope that explanation was helpful to you.

Thanks i seen on your site die30.wad this is new ver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back