Violence in videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheese said:
Sik said:
You cause some havoc in it and you're done.

But what's the point of going around shooting people? I personally think that Sonic Heroes would even be way funner then that.
It's not about playing something fun, it's about releasing all your hate on something. And you never player Carmageddon, did you? Destroying other cars can be fun, specially because sometimes you do it in a really ridiculous way (like when I felt over two cars at once or when I crushed my 35 tons truck against a wall and all the other cars got against me, in an amazing record of destroying seven cars in just four seconds).

Kaos Fox said:
I guess I should stop playing Pac Man because it encourages vore. My god, people need to wake up. Video games are nothing more than a mass of pixels. It's like they think there is a subliminal verse inside shooters and other violent games, that cause children to act out what they play. Maybe I should grab my copy of F.E.A.R. or Quake IV, and see if when I play it backwards, if it will show a demonic figure that hypnotizes people to do it's bidding. NO NO NO!

I blame the parents if the children act out what they see. ESRB was created for a reason! Ordinarily I'd be against ESRB labels. There are reasons why shooters are usually rated T, M , and sometimes E with warnings of the contents. I let my little brothers play DooM because they know the difference between reality and video games. Neither of them run around school with weapons. If you know your child or sibling has an overactive imagination, then shame on you for buying them the game. Common sense people. When you find yours, please use it.

I guess Tetris is too violent for kids.

Chaos said:
Kaos Fox said:
I guess I should stop playing Pac Man because it encourages vore. My god, people need to wake up. Video games are nothing more than a mass of pixels. It's like they think there is a subliminal verse inside shooters and other violent games, that cause children to act out what they play. Maybe I should grab my copy of F.E.A.R. or Quake IV, and see if when I play it backwards, if it will show a demonic figure that hypnotizes people to do it's bidding. NO NO NO!

I blame the parents if the children act out what they see. ESRB was created for a reason! Ordinarily I'd be against ESRB labels. There are reasons why shooters are usually rated T, M , and sometimes E with warnings of the contents. I let my little brothers play DooM because they know the difference between reality and video games. Neither of them run around school with weapons. If you know your child or sibling has an overactive imagination, then shame on you for buying them the game. Common sense people. When you find yours, please use it.

I'm sure if you looked close enough, even games for preschoolers have some hint of violence in them.

JEV3 said:
Furthermore as I stated before, you choose to commit a crime, so if you decide its alright to kill a person because you did in a video game, it was your stupid choice and you should not blame it on the video game.

Well, it's definitely his choice, he chose to kill the person. But he also chose to play the video game itself, which lead to him killing the person.

I never said I don't like violent video games. You probably see more violent things in the real world than in video games. What I don't see is why would someone want to play a violent game. When you're in a video game shooting people, why do you enjoy it? Anything that happens in a video game can happen in the real world. If you enjoy shooting people in video games, it's sounds like you'd enjoy shooting them in real life.

Chaos said:

No, you probably would see more violent things in real life. You can learn from violent video games, and from violence in real life. Violence in real life you learn what not to do, because it teaches you that it's bad. In violent video games, you can learn what not to do, but only if you know it's bad. Video games don't teach you right from wrong, there's hardly ever a punishment in video games if you kill someone.

Cheese said:
JEV3 said:
Furthermore as I stated before, you choose to commit a crime, so if you decide its alright to kill a person because you did in a video game, it was your stupid choice and you should not blame it on the video game.

Well, it's definitely his choice, he chose to kill the person. But he also chose to play the video game itself, which lead to him killing the person.
If the game lead him to kill then he has some mental illness. Any normal person wouldn't do that.

Cheese said:
I never said I don't like violent video games. You probably see more violent things in the real world than in video games. What I don't see is why would someone want to play a violent game. When you're in a video game shooting people, why do you enjoy it? Anything that happens in a video game can happen in the real world. If you enjoy shooting people in video games, it's sounds like you'd enjoy shooting them in real life.
You enjoy because you know it isn't real. Seriously, I like destroying everything in games, but I hate doing so in the real life.

Cheese said:
Chaos said:

No, you probably would see more violent things in real life. You can learn from violent video games, and from violence in real life. Violence in real life you learn what not to do, because it teaches you that it's bad. In violent video games, you can learn what not to do, but only if you know it's bad. Video games don't teach you right from wrong, there's hardly ever a punishment in video games if you kill someone.
Who said you actually learn from a game? :P

Well, I guess if I wanted to take my hate out on someone, I would make them into a Mii, go to 2 player, leave one controller unused, and beat the crap outta them in Wii Boxing.

Though I don't like Doom any more. I guess after playing a couple solid hours of Doom 2, and surgically splitting thousands of Mancubuses in half alone in the house made me see things, and think of things that I didn't want to. I don't like games that are too violent, and frankly, I wouldn't give any halfway violent game to a child with a vivid imagination.

If you think that kids don't get influenced by video games, then you don't know whats out there. (I include kids without diseases)

Ok, lets start with statement number one

he also chose to play the video game itself, which lead to him killing the person.

The complexity of human thought and understanding is far to great for us to generalize. We can never know to what extent the video game influenced him in doing so, so we try to reason what the possibilities are of the video game doing it. Thinking about any times I went into anything near a blind rage, it was compounded things that overwhelmed me. With this knowledge, I think that it is impossible to claim that a single cause will result in a human action.

Anything that happens in a video game can happen in the real world

This statement is somewhat ridiculous considering I've seen other statements saying that video games are designed to display impossible situations. I'd seriously like to see Sonic face off against Dr. Robotnik in real life.

If you enjoy shooting people in video games, it's sounds like you'd enjoy shooting them in real life.

If we want to get really technical, you aren't shooting people, you are shooting targets designed to look like people, aliens, robots, etc. Furthermore, try jumping off a cliff in a game and sailing to the bottom before you get a game over, that can get pretty amusing... Now try doing that in real life... fun...

You cannot even compare violence in real life to that in video games. Whats real is so different and means so much more than whats not real. You die in a game, you get another life, you die in real life, what happens next?

Violence in real life you learn what not to do, because it teaches you that it's bad. In violent video games, you can learn what not to do, but only if you know it's bad.

Violence in real life doesn't always teach you its bad, as a matter of fact, violence in real life is far more likely to affect you than a game. If we consider for a moment that killing someone in a game can affect you, then what happens when you hear about a murder in real life. If beating up on enemies in a game can influence you, than how much more would being beat up in real life affect you.

Reality is so much more than virtual reality. Kids may not always know the difference, but they will most certainly be affected more by a real life event than a video game.

And on the subject of children vs. violent games... indeed a responsible parent should be careful about traumatizing their kids with gory games, but to single out games as a killer danger and ignore all the other real life and present dangers is ridiculous.

This topic is one that will constantly annoy me, reguardless of opinion and proof.
The root of the problem is the parents, influences, and peers. Parents want to look out for their kids, and as such, go against video games, and EVERYTHING they think is wrong. (See: SouthPark)

The only problem is that the parents don't honestly give a s**t about their kids, they just want to shut them up, and make others think they're good parents. That's all. They're too busy to even consider teaching their kids right from wrong.

Video games are simply a simulation, enabling you to do what's wrong IRL. If there's a disconnect with that definition, then OFCOURSE someone will try to mimic it. If a parent doesn't tell their child 'it's wrong to hurt people' 'it's wrong to kill people' 'it's wrong to buy an AK47 while underaged and shoot people in the street'; then to heck with them.

They fail as parents.

Very agreed. Just that parents don't want to reconsigne their fault and the shame goes against games. Same happened with TV, same will happen with Internet (if it doesn't happen yet) and same with whatever comes next. That's it. The technology of the day will always be the main target to avoid responsibilities.

JEV3 said:
he also chose to play the video game itself, which lead to him killing the person.

The complexity of human thought and understanding is far to great for us to generalize. We can never know to what extent the video game influenced him in doing so, so we try to reason what the possibilities are of the video game doing it. Thinking about any times I went into anything near a blind rage, it was compounded things that overwhelmed me. With this knowledge, I think that it is impossible to claim that a single cause will result in a human action.

It only lead to him killing the person. I agree with you.

JEV3 said:
Anything that happens in a video game can happen in the real world

This statement is somewhat ridiculous considering I've seen other statements saying that video games are designed to display impossible situations. I'd seriously like to see Sonic face off against Dr. Robotnik in real life.

Oops, I meant that there's some things that can happen, definitely not all things.

I guess all video games have a little violence in them, and all video games can influence people. But, a number of other things would have to happen in the real world to make people kill people.

There is violence in every game you play.

Madden ( injure people )
Skate ( shows how many bones you've broken )
Tony Hawk ( hit people with skate board )
SSBB ( Fighting )
Spyro ( You burn people with fire )
Crash Bandicoot ( you shoot people with whatever-fruit bazookas )

I mean really... If there isn't any violence.
There isn't any fun.

And honestly if you get a M rated game (coughcoughHALO3coughcough) for you're E rated kid....

ITS YO FAULT.

I mean like if the kid is a total retard don't get a M rated game for him. I don't want him crying on the mic and stuff when I lay a headshot on em.
Get a kid that actually understands that it's just a frikkin game.

I'm 10 and I play Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros, and most other fighting games, and you dont see me walking around punching people.

I dont think video games have to do with anything with those kind of things people do, Its just the fact some people have mental issues, thats all.

Had to post this:
http://www.mavav.org/

OK, this is just plain extremist. Not to mention they reach the point that all video games, either violent or not, realistic or not, are dangerous and a menace to society. What the-?!

I lol'd at the wendy's faces pasted over Manhunt2 characters. The website host is an idiot for sure.

But wait, it's an idiot that people can RELATE to! Oh, that's so much better.

I almost wonder if its meant sarcastically. Notice *all* articles are down for editing and the ridiculous and biased 'facts' in the third tab, without any real sources for the information they gave out. The only people that can take this seriously are parents that don't know anything about video games.

And they are asking them to stop supporting THE most kid-friendly platform out there. Maybe they should be supporting the console with God of War or Halo instead of Mario... Even if this guy is entirely against video games, anyone can consider the lesser of evils.

Silver360 said:
There is violence in every game you play.

Madden ( injure people )
Skate ( shows how many bones you've broken )
Tony Hawk ( hit people with skate board )
SSBB ( Fighting )
Spyro ( You burn people with fire )
Crash Bandicoot ( you shoot people with whatever-fruit bazookas )

Gran Turismo, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back