• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Unsure if ths qualifies for Mods, so here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my new BaseEscape level pack. It only features two relatively short levels, but oh well. When it's uploaded, please don't run to me saying "wwaaaahhh! its 2 hard1!!!!!11!!1!!! waaaaah!", it's supposed to be like that. Anyway, screens:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6849/srb20222po9.png
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/151/srb20215of5.png
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4655/srb20216ze5.png
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9438/srb20218en0.png
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5659/srb20219gy1.png
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3197/srb20220ap9.png

The second level features a twist, you're not SUPPOSED to be able to go past halfway. That's the second part.

P.S. The file upload sites are all being asses, It won't upload. If you're wondering, it's 6.65 MB.

It looks alright so far, but I'm a bit unsure about the turrets in the 4th and 6th screen.

Triangle Trumper said:
P.S. The file upload sites are all being asses, It won't upload. If you're wondering, it's 6.65 MB.
6.65 MB, thats not a big file compared to some other mods.

Looks kind of bland. Expecially the last picture.
Other than that it looks okay. Wait a second though... how many turrets are there?

tailsmastermind said:
Looks kind of bland. Expecially the last picture.
Other than that it looks okay. Wait a second though... how many turrets are there?

The turrets... quite a few. It keeps you running, know what I mean? The base kinda needs security to stop oddly coloured animals escaping.

Well there's a difference between annoying turrets, and the kind that keep you running. The use of turrets in RoboDome zone from Morph's level pack is a perfect example of what kind of thing turrets should be used for.

If you are going to make a hard map, do it right. Meaning:
- Piles of crawlas aren't hard to kill.

-Use spikes, conveyors, and lasers to your advantage. Put a conveyor over a pit, lasers with conveyors.

The Dark Fox said:
If you are going to make a hard map, do it right. Meaning:
- Piles of crawlas aren't hard to kill.

-Use spikes, conveyors, and lasers to your advantage. Put a conveyor over a pit, lasers with conveyors.

There aren't any piles of crawlas.

I think he's just making examples. A note about crawlas is that while not actually deadly on their own (and annoying in a ridiculously oversized group), they're potentially fatal if placed in the right places, such as on platforms that the player needs to jump to. Just make sure that it doesn't become irritating rather than the challenge you were aiming for. Always make the player feel like anything the player dies from/is hit by is their own fault, rather than the result of bad level design. Challenges of timing are good, tiny platforms are bad.

Warpshade said:
I think he's just making examples. A note about crawlas is that while not actually deadly on their own (and annoying in a ridiculously oversized group), they're potentially fatal if placed in the right places, such as on platforms that the player needs to jump to. Just make sure that it doesn't become irritating rather than the challenge you were aiming for. Always make the player feel like anything the player dies from/is hit by is their own fault, rather than the result of bad level design. Challenges of timing are good, tiny platforms are bad.

There aren't tiny platforms either! Stop assuming stuuf because I'm new!

Calm down, Christ.

They're giving you advice, so demanding they shut up because you're new is stupid and dumb. A newbie who refuses to listen to wisdom from others will forever remain a newbie. Do you want to forever remain a newbie? I doubt it. So for God's sake, never ever use "I'm new" as an excuse to ignore the criticism of others.

Shadow Hog said:
Calm down, Christ.

They're giving you advice, so demanding they shut up because you're new is stupid and dumb. A newbie who refuses to listen to wisdom from others will forever remain a newbie. Do you want to forever remain a newbie? I doubt it. So for God's sake, never ever use "I'm new" as an excuse to ignore the criticism of others.

I'm listening to the advice, I already know it, I've been making levels since long before I joined the forums. It's just that they seem to be saying "Oh, you're new, you must be sucking at levels, then." It's just the random assumption that newbies fail. Not every newbie fails.

Unless you're using WadAuthor, because sooner or later it'll scramble up all your data and you'll lose up your map and even back-ups won't help you because you'll notice it too late (yeah, that was me :P).

Sik said:
Unless you're using WadAuthor, because sooner or later it'll scramble up all your data and you'll lose up your map and even back-ups won't help you because you'll notice it too late (yeah, that was me :P).

Har har. I've been making levels for years, yes, YEARS, but I haven't gotten any better, until I found this forum. No, that doesn't happen to me.

The time frame you've been making maps has nothing to do with the present, especially (according to you) if you haven't gotten any better at it. What was the point of telling us that you've been making levels "for years"? Does it really matter?

Also, yeah, WadAuthor does that. It doesn't happen to specific people; it just does.

Ash said:
The time frame you've been making maps has nothing to do with the present, especially (according to you) if you haven't gotten any better at it. What was the point of telling us that you've been making levels "for years"? Does it really matter?

Also, yeah, WadAuthor does that. It doesn't happen to specific people; it just does.

It means I've had WADding experience. I got a little bit better, but the lack of criticism held me back pretty sorely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back