Uninspired mods nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzGG

This only really applies to modded characters, but please take what im saying in the kindest way possible. I really do love Srb2's modding community.

So... i havent played SRB2 in a few months, (4-6) and i wanted to see what kinds of great mods got released since i was gone. I vividly remember all of the amazingly creative, maybe not entirely polished, but still creative and inspired mods. So, i expected to see some really cool things. I look at the modding page, and its just a bunch of really poorly typed sonic/tails remakes.

The first ones that come to mind are Takis, Sunky (but that has an excuse), Sunkeek the steeckhog, Sonki, Scribble, Specki, and probably a few more that i havent named yet.

I know modding really isnt for everyone, but all of these characters are just low-effort remakes of the main cast. Where's all of the interesting mods? I think the last REALLY GOOD new mod was like, the chaotix. It just really bothers me how the page nowadays is lacking creativity. I mean, sure a lot of these very few OCs aren't the best made, but at least they're a new and interesting idea. It's not even like i dislike remade sonic characters, Tyson Hesse Sonic is literally one of my FAVORITE mods ever. But it just lacks that "spark", that creative essence.

Is it just me or am i tweaking???
TLDR: Current mods are incredibly uninspired and just low-quality remakes of the main cast

No harm or any wrongdoing to any of the mods or their creators, i'm simply calling out frankly lazy character making.

IM GOING TO CLARIFY THIS AGAIN

I AM NOT ATTACKING ANY OF THE CREATORS. I KNOW IT'S NOT EASY TO MAKE MODS. I WOULD ENJOY A BIT MORE CREATIVITY AND THAT IS ALL.

When i say "Lazy character making", i'm talking about designs and ideas. I said nothing about scripts, or coding, or whatnot.
aside from that, please keep commenting if you have interesting opinions or things i should know about! i love reading your opinions and personal takes!

Last edited:
Yes it’s just you. (almost) every mod has effort that you simply aren’t realizing. Don’t complain about the quality of mods as if people are working super hard to please you. It’s ok to constructively criticize but to generalize and attack mods for not being as high quality as others is not correct. Also you clearly don’t understand the humor behind some of the mods you listed.

Blud, alot of great mods have been releasing for the past 6 months and more are waited to be realesed

Just because some of mods nowadays are not at same level of some of the most popular addon creators on this site, doesn't mean they are ""lazy"" like coding custom shit and making original art/sprites for that "Sonic/Tails recolor that has lore for some reason" is hard and time-consuming, yeah, I know it's your personal opinion but calling it "lazy" is very disrespectful to the people who prob put their blood, sweat and tears into actually making it

• Cool!
Reactions: Lan
as someone who has made Sonki, I will give a beeg Ted talk arguing you ok so Yipee

I personally don't have the time or the will to make a high quality mod, and I don’t work with any well known Modders. There’s a reason you see the same 5 people making featured mods. They only work on their own things, and the higher ups only help with other higher ups mods. And there is nothing wrong about that, but it is wrong to assume that everyone can do what they can

Also some of us don’t have our own Sonic OCs and whatnot. And personally I don’t want to put my dumb self insert sonic OC in the game. And as personal preference, I love silly things, so I do parody characters instead

And while the quality of the characters vary, characters made by LuigiBudd specifically are very, VERY high quality despite having a cloak that says “funny parody character”
(Which also leads me to believe you didn’t play takis considering you put him on that list) so go and play Takis for a little bit and come back later

Plus, the only reason you’re seeing a lot of characters now is cuz of Updates. Updates push the entry on the mb up to the top on the mb And if I recently updated sonki he’s gonna be one of the first ones you see, and Takis is also being updated, Sunkeeck just released.

And no, there isn’t a lack of good mods on the mb. It’s just that there haven’t been any new characters that are high quality, and that’s ok. Mods take a long time to make (even parody characters), so high quality mods are going to take a long time to make. Silverhorn definitely took a long time.

And my final argument is that, uh who cares? Modding is all about having fun with what ur making, and if I’m making something I don’t want well then it’s not fun. And I like to make silly parodies. It isn’t for everyone, but it’s what I like. And while parody mods aren’t for everyone, and they probably aren’t for you, that doesn’t give you the right go off and complain about it. Once again, high quality mods are being made, but they take a long time.

Now I do agree with one of your statements. Yea, it’s just sonic and tails right now, and I guess yeah we could have more variety. I am working on a Knuckels parody right now so that might help a little bit.

TLDR: Some of us don’t have the time or skill to do the srb2 style, some mods have better quality than you think, high quality mods take a long time which is why there’s a “lack” of them, and modding is all about having fun and making parody characters is what we call fun

Anyways thanks for coming to my TedTalk

Please note that I'm not trying to break Rule 11 when I say this stuff, I'm just trying to state the truth. If I did, I'm sorry.

So, i expected to see some really cool things. I look at the modding page, and its just a bunch of really poorly typed sonic/tails remakes. The first ones that come to mind are Takis, Sunky (but that has an excuse), Sunkeek the steeckhog, Sonki, Scribble, Specki, and probably a few more that i havent named yet.
No need to be rude, but um, excuse me, but why would you expect high quality mods? Modding is all about fun, not taking 50 years to make something interesting. And the mods that were literally listed are made for fun.

Personally, I'm ok with these low effort/quality mods. Why? Because these mods always have something interesting and cool to them for me. Takis has a cool HUD, and he's funny asf.

Your entire post just seems like your trying to attack modders and trying to request someone to make a high quality addon without breaking MB rules because they have a mod that simply isn't good enough to you, which I find to be really disrespectful (especially when you said "i'm simply calling out frankly lazy character making." like, you can't just call these mods lazy). Like said before, people create mods for fun, you don't need to make something REALLY high quality.

While we're talking about people not making "high quality mods", what if these people are beginners? What if they just started SRB2? What if they're entirely new to SRB2? That could answer some of these "low effort" mods, because from what I can tell, some of these mods sound like they were made from a beginner (NOTE: I'm not trying to insult anybody, but I'm just saying).

Honestly and respectfully, this entire post is a good example of "think before you post".

I'll just quote what Avalice said in they're post, as I think that post perfectly states the example I said:
(almost) every mod has effort that you simply aren’t realizing. Don’t complain about the quality of mods as if people are working super hard to please you. It’s ok to constructively criticize but to generalize and attack mods for not being as high quality as others is not correct. Also you clearly don’t understand the humor behind some of the mods you listed.

Last edited:
Those characters are nothing like the vanilla cast lmao, they all play somewhat differently so your entire claim should just be thrown in the trash

look, I honestly don’t like any of those mods you listed (other then takis) they aren’t fun to play as due to being overpowered or poor design choices but I can at least appreciate the effort that went into all of them

you sir are the main reason why these mods are so underrated! You look at them, write them off as bad due to their sprites and move on. People like you don’t care for these types of mods and only care about the mods that the big boys make, you did not need to shoot a bullet at these mods just to call them bad, and for garbage reasons too

TL;DR: these characters aren’t vanilla cast remakes, OP clearly didn’t play the mods at all, and they should feel bad for even posting this at all honestly

Seeing a character mod with a full set of sprites (that is over 170 by the way), alongside unique gameplay mechanics ESPECIALLY in Takis' case, playing them, and then calling it "lazy character making" sure is...a take.

I'll try to interpret your message as generously as possible and assume you meant to say "I'd rather they didn't look like the vanilla cast but in the funny Pizza Game artstyle", which is a fair take and one I also share. But also, not everyone has the time to develop skills for professional sprite making, and the vanilla cast give ample references for spritework if you want to draw anything based on them. If it helps people get their gameplay ideas out, so be it.

Just make your own chars LULW

image0-2.png

You know, people have opinions, so if they think some aren't. That's their opinion, but you don't have to go out and decide to make this thread. It's useless. Just make one yourself if you can do it because nobody wouldn't agree with other people's opinions. Modding is what takes time for people in the SRB2 community to get through. If you wanna make a high-quality addon, then go ahead.

Yes it’s just you. (almost) every mod has effort that you simply aren’t realizing. Don’t complain about the quality of mods as if people are working super hard to please you. It’s ok to constructively criticize but to generalize and attack mods for not being as high quality as others is not correct. Also you clearly don’t understand the humor behind some of the mods you listed.
Less about them being "low quality" but more uninspired and bland. they all kind of just blend together as "troll mods"
Post automatically merged:

as someone who has made Sonki, I will give a beeg Ted talk arguing you ok so Yipee

I personally don't have the time or the will to make a high quality mod, and I don’t work with any well known Modders. There’s a reason you see the same 5 people making featured mods. They only work on their own things, and the higher ups only help with other higher ups mods. And there is nothing wrong about that, but it is wrong to assume that everyone can do what they can

Also some of us don’t have our own Sonic OCs and whatnot. And personally I don’t want to put my dumb self insert sonic OC in the game. And as personal preference, I love silly things, so I do parody characters instead

And while the quality of the characters vary, characters made by LuigiBudd specifically are very, VERY high quality despite having a cloak that says “funny parody character”
(Which also leads me to believe you didn’t play takis considering you put him on that list) so go and play Takis for a little bit and come back later

Plus, the only reason you’re seeing a lot of characters now is cuz of Updates. Updates push the entry on the mb up to the top on the mb And if I recently updated sonki he’s gonna be one of the first ones you see, and Takis is also being updated, Sunkeeck just released.

And no, there isn’t a lack of good mods on the mb. It’s just that there haven’t been any new characters that are high quality, and that’s ok. Mods take a long time to make (even parody characters), so high quality mods are going to take a long time to make. Silverhorn definitely took a long time.

And my final argument is that, uh who cares? Modding is all about having fun with what ur making, and if I’m making something I don’t want well then it’s not fun. And I like to make silly parodies. It isn’t for everyone, but it’s what I like. And while parody mods aren’t for everyone, and they probably aren’t for you, that doesn’t give you the right go off and complain about it. Once again, high quality mods are being made, but they take a long time.

Now I do agree with one of your statements. Yea, it’s just sonic and tails right now, and I guess yeah we could have more variety. I am working on a Knuckels parody right now so that might help a little bit.

TLDR: Some of us don’t have the time or skill to do the srb2 style, some mods have better quality than you think, high quality mods take a long time which is why there’s a “lack” of them, and modding is all about having fun and making parody characters is what we call fun

Anyways thanks for coming to my TedTalk
this is actually really based, i fw this heavy man. thanks for elaborating

Please note that I'm not trying to break Rule 11 when I say this stuff, I'm just trying to state the truth.

No need to be rude, but um, excuse me, but why would you expect high quality mods? Modding is all about fun, not taking 50 years to make something interesting. And the mods that were literally listed are made for fun.

Personally, I'm ok with these low effort/quality mods. Why? Because these mods always have something interesting and cool to them for me. Takis has a cool HUD, and he's funny asf.

Your entire post just seems like your trying to attack modders and trying to request someone to make a high quality addon without breaking MB rules because they have a mod that simply isn't good enough to you, which I find to be really disrespectful (especially when you said "i'm simply calling out frankly lazy character making." like, you can't just call these mods lazy). Like said before, people create mods for fun, you don't need to make something REALLY high quality.

While we're talking about people not making "high quality mods", what if these people are beginners? What if they just started SRB2? What if they're entirely new to SRB2? That could answer some of these "low effort" mods, because from what I can tell, some of these mods sound like they were made from a beginner (NOTE: I'm not trying to insult anybody, but I'm just saying).

Honestly and respectfully, this entire post is a good example of "think before you post".

I'll just quote what Avalice said in they're post, as I think that post perfectly states the example I said:
Im not looking for essentially "high quality", but i'd like a bit more "originality" or uniqueness. Like the Jason mod (not the furry oc), its really not as high quality as the others but still is really cool and interesting while also having minimal things!

Please note that I'm not trying to break Rule 11 when I say this stuff, I'm just trying to state the truth.

"

While we're talking about people not making "high quality mods", what if these people are beginners? What if they just started SRB2? What if they're entirely new to SRB2? That could answer some of these "low effort" mods, because from what I can tell, some of these mods sound like they were made from a beginner (NOTE: I'm not trying to insult anybody, but I'm just saying)."

I specifically said that i wasn't trying to attack anyone, and I really do appreciate the new people coming in and making mods. I just wish that there were more unique mods and less of the same.

You know, people have opinions, so if they think some aren't. That's their opinion, but you don't have to go out and decide to make this thread. It's useless. Just make one yourself if you can do it because nobody wouldn't agree with other people's opinions. Modding is what takes time for people in the SRB2 community to get through. If you wanna make a high-quality addon, then go ahead.
I've been seeing the "Just make your own mod", and it really is such a bad argument imo. Imagine having this mindset towards other things.

"Dont like the U.S healthcare system? Just make your own!!!"
It isnt fixing anything, and you're really not proving anything.

Onto what you first said, I can express my opinions if i want. The thread isnt "useless", and i really did learn a lot from actually helpful people like Banderr. I posted this in order to discuss my personal issues with mods, and if you don't agree, its FINE. but I still have the ability and proper reason to post.

Ok? That doesn't mean you weren't attacking people, even if it wasn't intentional.
Well, with a subject as "touchy" as people's original works, i intentionally tried to word it in the nicest way possible. If i said something a little mean about your mod, or one of your favorite mods, then i'm sorry. My point was to highlight some of MY personal issues, not to offend anyone. And i definetly wasn't attacking anyone, don't make me look like a bad guy just for expressing my opinion in the nicest way i could.

Those characters are nothing like the vanilla cast lmao, they all play somewhat differently so your entire claim should just be thrown in the trash

look, I honestly don’t like any of those mods you listed (other then takis) they aren’t fun to play as due to being overpowered or poor design choices but I can at least appreciate the effort that went into all of them

you sir are the main reason why these mods are so underrated! You look at them, write them off as bad due to their sprites and move on. People like you don’t care for these types of mods and only care about the mods that the big boys make, you did not need to shoot a bullet at these mods just to call them bad, and for garbage reasons too

TL;DR: these characters aren’t vanilla cast remakes, OP clearly didn’t play the mods at all, and they should feel bad for even posting this at all honestly
I did play most of the mods listed, and although Takis was somewhat personally enjoyable, i still couldn't stop thinking about how i wish they had a bit more creativity. I absolutely and wholeheartedly appreciate the effort, but my main argument was about CREATIVITY. please don't claim i said things that i didnt.

Blud, alot of great mods have been releasing for the past 6 months and more are waited to be realesed
which ones? i'd love to play them!

No, i like humor. The Jason mod (not the furry oc) is one of my favorite mods ever, and it's really funny!

I never claimed anyone was trying to please me, and i'm not "attacking" anyones mods. I specifically stated that i dont wish any harm, and i just want more interesting and creative characters.

Last edited:
I've been seeing the "Just make your own mod", and it really is such a bad argument imo. Imagine having this mindset towards other things.

Onto what you first said, I can express my opinions if i want. The thread isnt "useless", and i really did learn a lot from actually helpful people like Banderr. I posted this in order to discuss my personal issues with mods, and if you don't agree, its FINE. but I still have the ability and proper reason to post.

Well, with a subject as "touchy" as people's original works, i intentionally tried to word it in the nicest way possible. If i said something a little mean about your mod, or one of your favorite mods, then i'm sorry. My point was to highlight some of MY personal issues, not to offend anyone. And i definetly wasn't attacking anyone, don't make me look like a bad guy just for expressing my opinion in the nicest way i could.

I did play most of the mods listed, and although Takis was somewhat personally enjoyable, i still couldn't stop thinking about how i wish they had a bit more creativity. I absolutely and wholeheartedly appreciate the effort, but my main argument was about CREATIVITY. please don't claim i said things that i didnt.

which ones? i'd love to play them!

No, i like humor. The Jason mod (not the furry oc) is one of my favorite mods ever, and it's really funny!

I never claimed anyone was trying to please me, and i'm not "attacking" anyones mods. I specifically stated that i dont wish any harm, and i just want more interesting and creative characters.
I get your trying to show your point, but I suggest you avoid making so many merged posts. It'll look like spam.

You can't just say "with all due respect" and then say whatever you want afterwards in a real conversation. It doesn't work that way. Your actual words on the subject determine what you mean. You called them "low-quality" DIRECTLY!!! That's attacking!! "Not interesting." And yes, you did indeed imply with this entire post that you "So, i expected to see some really cool things. I look at the modding page, and its just a bunch of really poorly typed sonic/tails remakes." You literally expected something really great from the modding community and when you don't get what you want you came into the discussion forum and complained about it.

I did play most of the mods listed, and although Takis was somewhat personally enjoyable, i still couldn't stop thinking about how i wish they had a bit more creativity. I absolutely and wholeheartedly appreciate the effort, but my main argument was about CREATIVITY. please don't claim i said things that i didn't
Thank you for playing takis, I really appreciate it. I do agree with you that there really isn't much creativity in Takis, his whole thing is basically copying Antonblast for crying out loud, creativity isnt necessarily my strong suit, as my other character is based somewhat off of Sonic. I respect your argument.

I'm not sure what your main issue with mods is. Some of these are pretty "creative" in that they take existing work to make something new.
Or I guess in the side of Takis, making an Antonblast out of a doodle of Tails. Which I'd say is pretty creative on itself, even more when you consider the inner machinations of the mod (the scripts in there have to be massive and/or unreadable. impressive :knuxsmug:)

A few critical differences between making a modification for a game and making a nationwide healthcare system is that you can learn to make a game modification in a few days through investigating how the game works and how to interpret and write in a scripting language of your choice, while a healthcare system requires money and support and years of planning to give everyone in your nation free medical assistance, only to find out a few days later that it will cost you millions to sustain it. Or so I've been told.

You are told to make a mod so you can understand the potential struggles a would-be mod maker has to get into, like knowledge required to do things and why they take time and why they often use something that already exists as a base.

i'm not "attacking" anyones mods
You're naming specific mods in your original post, and using them as explicit examples of what you find as, and I quote, "bunch of really poorly typed sonic/tails remakes" and "low-effort remakes".
You're also stating "It just really bothers me how the page nowadays is lacking creativity".
You're also contrasting these examples by saying that "I think the last REALLY GOOD new mod was like, the chaotix."

You are attacking these mods.

There are way better ways to say that you find some mods to lack creative spark without going on a rant where you bash a bunch of mods as "not creative".

admittedly as i stated earlier, yeah objectively the fact that they are all sonic/tails parodies isn't really creative, and like the most we all do is give the character some feature that makes them stand out from the other mods when it comes to designs

as for creativity it kinda depends on what the mod is, takis does things very creatively, tho as luigi said, it's just a port of antonblast. to be fair my main gripe with what you said is that the mods are lazy/lazily done. personally idc if my mod is called low quality cuz that is somewhat the point lol, but i don't like it if my mod is called lazy just cuz it doesn't have the best sprites ever (admittedly tho sonki in particular is my least interesting mod due to it being my first one)

So... i havent played SRB2 in a few months, (4-6) and i wanted to see what kinds of great mods got released since i was gone. I vividly remember all of the amazingly creative, maybe not entirely polished, but still creative and inspired mods. So, i expected to see some really cool things. I look at the modding page, and its just a bunch of really poorly typed sonic/tails remakes.

The first ones that come to mind are Takis, Sunky (but that has an excuse), Sunkeek the steeckhog, Sonki, Scribble, Specki, and probably a few more that i havent named yet.

I know modding really isnt for everyone, but all of these characters are just low-effort remakes of the main cast. Where's all of the interesting mods? I think the last REALLY GOOD new mod was like, the chaotix. It just really bothers me how the page nowadays is lacking creativity. I mean, sure a lot of these very few OCs aren't the best made, but at least they're a new and interesting idea. It's not even like i dislike remade sonic characters, Tyson Hesse Sonic is literally one of my FAVORITE mods ever. But it just lacks that "spark", that creative essence.

Is it just me or am i tweaking???
TLDR: Current mods are incredibly uninspired and just low-quality remakes of the main cast

No harm or any wrongdoing to any of the mods or their creators, i'm simply calling out frankly lazy character making.

IM GOING TO CLARIFY THIS AGAIN

I AM NOT ATTACKING ANY OF THE CREATORS. I KNOW IT'S NOT EASY TO MAKE MODS. I WOULD ENJOY A BIT MORE CREATIVITY AND THAT IS ALL.

When i say "Lazy character making", i'm talking about designs and ideas. I said nothing about scripts, or coding, or whatnot.
aside from that, please keep commenting if you have interesting opinions or things i should know about! i love reading your opinions and personal takes!
Why is takis strictly on the list, boohoo if it's not the kino broshima srb2 style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back