• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I have a million questions about editing SRB2, I'll start of with these two: is there a way to take Tails and Knuckles out of the game (since I'm tring to make a Sonic and Shadow game), and is there a way to make unlockable characters?

SuperSonic81 said:
Although I have a million questions about editing SRB2, I'll start of with these two: is there a way to take Tails and Knuckles out of the game (since I'm tring to make a Sonic and Shadow game), and is there a way to make unlockable characters?

Takin tails and knuckles out of the game is simple but could cause crashes
simply delete the tails and knucles char wad and if you want to get shadow why not try JTEs sp moves shadow?

Farran said:
SuperSonic81 said:
simply delete the tails and knucles char wad and if you want to get shadow why not try JTEs sp moves shadow?
Farran knows nothing here.

In order to take Tails and Knuckles out of the game in a WAD, you simply edit the SOC. There is some basic information about the SOC in the Archives of this forum. DON'T delete tails.plr and knuckles.plr. That'll cause the game to crash on load.

There is not a way to create unlockable characters at this point unless you are a programmer and can program the support in yourself. There isn't a way to make unlockable ANYTHING in SRB2 without hard-coding it into the game EXE.

Personally, however, I would suggest you attempt to create some stages and characters before you even THINK about these kinds of topics. SRB2 editing, while not difficult, is quite time consuming. It's better to start small and make little things before you try and make anything large, because if you jump to a large project you will generally feel overwhelmed and quit.

If you want it, the source can be found in SRB2SRC108.exe, in whatever directory you installed SRB2 into.

For an introduction to levels, I'd reccomend
http://www.lawrencegearheadz.org/~a441/level/

For characters, I've written a nice little tutorial that can be found here:
http://www.sepwich.com/lotr-srb2/Chars/

Note that it says WadAuthor in the level guide. I'd actually reccomend DoomBuilder. The latest version is 1.67 (!), and developement is going quite rapidly, so you could get it here if you wish:
http://www.doombuilder.com/

Mystic said:
Farran said:
SuperSonic81 said:
There isn't a way to make unlockable ANYTHING in SRB2 without hard-coding it into the game EXE.
Not tue. There is a special level type number that makes the level required to be unlocked.

Ok thanks. I've read most of the guides, and I know how to make basic levels and character wads and such. But will there be a way to make unlockable stuff in the future? (without having to program) What I had in mind was to have you play as Sonic and Shadow, then when you complete both their stories, a final story is unlocked. Or maybe when you get to the end of each of them you switch from Sonic to Super Sonic/Shadow to Super Shadow. Speaking of Shadow, where can I find the Shadow wad that Farran mentioned?

Edit: I created a main config file in a wad that took Tails and Knuckles out of the character select screen. But when I scroll down past Shadow (2nd char on the list) Knuckles appears for a brief moment and the game shuts down. It also happens when I scroll up with Sonic.

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Not tue. There is a special level type number that makes the level required to be unlocked.

Wrong. That just tells the game what "mode" to go into.

You just got owned in your first two posts! Is that a new record, Mystic?

bigboi said:
You just got owned in your first two posts! Is that a new record, Mystic?
Oh, Oops. After reading the rules a little a more I understand what happened...but hey if I just set a record that's awesome!! :D

After reading the rules? You just now read them? Do you seriously do that anywhere? I mean, you know nothing about, I dunno, some card game, you don't read the rules, you just start playing?

Someone should make a standard of reading rules.

I'm doubting that he even read the Terms of Agreement

JetKrazy said:
I'm doubting that he even read the Terms of Agreement
NO one reads that legalese. That's the point. So if they embed an "All your base are belong to us." into it, we'll accept anyways.

Someday, aliens will have our world leaders sign away our government by adding covert lines into licensing agreements.

I mean, I read the rules i guess...I just...didn't see that part. ANYWAY I made a config file in a wad that removes Tails and Knuckles and I have a good wad for Shadow. But when I scroll past Shadow, Knuckles reapears and the game shuts down. I also set Shadow to character 1 since Tails is gone. Could that have something to with it?

Create other character and replace Knuckles :S Or put Knuckles in the adventure... It looks without solution (except programming)...

I still remember how I renamed Knuckels with Zim. It always works, but has a bug with the Single Player Choose screen. That part doesnt look for the 3rd skin, it looks for the skin named Knuckles.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
I still remember how I renamed Knuckels with Zim. It always works, but has a bug with the Single Player Choose screen. That part doesnt look for the 3rd skin, it looks for the skin named Knuckles.
Ok so where do I rename him at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back