Two new planets have been discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurai_Madman said:
I am pretty sure that with enough nukes, we could terraform Mars or Venus, if not both since we have a total arsenal to destroy the world four times over.

Okay, that statement fails on multiple levels.

1. Terraforming is the EXACT OPPOSITE OF BLOWING UP A PLANET WITH NUKES! Terraforming means converting an uninhabitable planet into an inhabitable one.
2. Even under your scenario, our nukes are not designed to be launched into deep space. The highest any nuke ever goes is low-Earth orbit; they lack the power to go any farther, and our missile guidance systems wouldn't work in space.

fawfulfan said:
Like the Moon is to the Earth?

Speaking of the moon....It been slowly moving away from Earth, by 1 second every year, last I heard.

EDIT:Now I'm curious as to what would the moon would do...fly off in too the Sun? Orbit the Sun? Slowly zoom over in to the Kyper belt? Get smacked by a dwarf planet sized meteor or comet?(The comet one would be very awesome and maybe cause huge tramma to any near planets....most inportant, Earth!)

A Forest Wolf said:
Oh yeah that's been in affect since the Earth and moon's early days affter impacting one another.

The Moon and the Earth never impacted one another. What happened was that a Mars-sized object sideswiped the early Earth and blasted material into space that coalesced back around the Earth and formed into the Moon.

But, yes, it is true that the Moon is receding from the Earth, at a rate of a foot or two a year. In two billion years, it'll be too far away to gravitationally stabilize the Earth, and it's precession will go wild (that means it'll start wobbling). That means our seasons will go haywire, and it would likely be disastrous for life on Earth.

Even worse, as it was already mentioned, the Earth's rotation is slowing down. Gradually it will get slower and slower, and over the course of billions of years, Earth may rotate slow enough to boil one side and freeze the other. Earth then may become more like the Moon or Mercury, with a blistered side and a frozen side. That, of course, is not conducive to live as we know it.

fawfulfan said:
A Forest Wolf said:
Oh yeah that's been in affect since the Earth and moon's early days affter impacting one another.

The Moon and the Earth never impacted one another. What happened was that a Mars-sized object sideswiped the early Earth and blasted material into space that coalesced back around the Earth and formed into the Moon.

But, yes, it is true that the Moon is receding from the Earth, at a rate of a foot or two a year. In two billion years, it'll be too far away to gravitationally stabilize the Earth, and it's precession will go wild (that means it'll start wobbling). That means our seasons will go haywire, and it would likely be disastrous for life on Earth.

Even worse, as it was already mentioned, the Earth's rotation is slowing down. Gradually it will get slower and slower, and over the course of billions of years, Earth may rotate slow enough to boil one side and freeze the other. Earth then may become more like the Moon or Mercury, with a blistered side and a frozen side. That, of course, is not conducive to live as we know it.

So basically....... were screwed?

Look at it this way: There's a 99.9999999999% chance humans will be extinct by then anyway. And there's a 100% chance we'll both be dead by then.

fawfulfan said:

Hah, wrong they did impact back a after the sun first formed. I remember that the planet our moon was called before the event started with a t but that's all. The way they hit was much more than a sideswipe, it hit early Earth, their orbit was slowed and they spun in a dance of rebirth for both planets...one as the moon the other our radiant blue saphire.

A Forest Wolf said:
fawfulfan said:

Hah, wrong they did impact back a after the sun first formed. I remember that the planet our moon was called before the event started with a t but that's all. The way they hit was much more than a sideswipe, it hit early Earth, their orbit was slowed and they spun in a dance of rebirth for both planets...one as the moon the other our radiant blue saphire.
Um... what?

Jellybones69 said:
ZeldaGamer00 said:

The sun is also going to explode in 4.5 billion years.

WRONG! The sun lacks the mass or power to explode. Instead, the sun will keep getting bigger and bigger until it falls apart.

A Forest Wolf said:

That's impossible. If that were the case, then the Earth and Moon would have almost identical chemical compositions. The Moon is pretty much made of only the stuff in the Earth's crust. It WAS a sideswipe, and the force of the impact was enough to shock-melt the Earth's surface, but not to blow it to smithereens. The Moon was created from this event; it was not destroyed and then reformed.

Why do I get the increasing idea that the people of Earth (If they are any left) are going to suffer horrible painful deaths in the next 4.5 billion years?
Hopefully by then they would of invented space traveling technology to survive, or we would of evolved to survive in the new habitat.

super said:
Why do I get the increasing idea that the people of Earth (If they are any left) are going to suffer horrible painful deaths in the next 4.5 billion years?
Hopefully by then they would of invented space traveling technology to survive, or we would of evolved to survive in the new habitat.
Thats exactly what I was thinking though we might have rockets planes that can travel at lightspeed, and so regular people can go to other planets.

fawfulfan said:
That's impossible. If that were the case, then the Earth and Moon would have almost identical chemical compositions. The Moon is pretty much made of only the stuff in the Earth's crust. It WAS a sideswipe, and the force of the impact was enough to shock-melt the Earth's surface, but not to blow it to smithereens. The Moon was created from this event; it was not destroyed and then reformed.

First, did I say blown apart: no.
Second, They did and for a while Earth had a rather large crater that was filled very fast and was of a angled impact.
Third, Earth and its moon do have almost identical chemicals, diffrence is the moon has no life on it and Earth does.

A Forest Wolf said:
fawfulfan said:

First, did I say blown apart: no.
Second, They did and for a while Earth had a rather large crater that was filled very fast and was of a angled impact.
Third, Earth and its moon do have almost identical chemicals, diffrence is the moon has no life on it and Earth does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis
Half marks for you both, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back