Trojan Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Trojan virus on my PC and I cant get on SRB2 and play it or anything else (and Im afraid that as I speak im being impersonated on the game :( ) Im using my parents PC, and I gotta ask, has anyone ever had Trojan? And how can I get rid of it, because one of my freinds online got trojan (way back in January) and I havent talked to him since.

I had a trojan a while ago, Hm... I can't really remember how I fixed it though. Do you use Norton? I switched to AVG and I think that cleared it up.

McAfee works extraordinarily well, the only problem being that it's a bit expensive.

I've been satisfied with AVG ever since the free trial garbage with Norton and McAfee died. And happy I am that I found it. It's a better program than any of the others I've tried.

Woodstock said:
Dont use norton, it is a virus.
Ha...! That's a good one.

Virus my ass. It's definitely a system hog and you should use something else (not McAfee, that's even worse), but it doesn't even REMOTELY qualify for a virus.

I use a combination of Norton AntiVirus (an older version which is NOT a system hog and kills most trojans because its signatures are still being updated) and ZoneAlarm (when it behaves, it works very well).

Shadow Hog said:
Woodstock said:
Dont use norton, it is a virus.
Ha...! That's a good one.

Virus my ass. It's definitely a system hog and you should use something else (not McAfee, that's even worse), but it doesn't even REMOTELY qualify for a virus.

My friend (on his "trusty" Dell) used to have Norton. Slow as hell. He then uninstalled it (to no antivirus at all, lacking an internet connection) and it sped up like mad. Also, my dad's girlfriend has a Dell, with Mcafee, and the thing is slow as hell. Probably not related, but might be, even though i still suspect some sort of problem with the hardware (Not even a Dell (this is the exception) is that sloppy and unstable).

To get rid of it, download AVG, and scan your computer. Trust me, it's happened a lot on the computer I'm using. At least I got my parents to switch to FireFox.
avghl8.png

I used to use McAfee, it slowed down our computer too. I like AVG, since it doesn't scan ALL THE TIME (like McAfee), and just scans when you set it to scan. I have mine scan every night when we're not using the computer.

I had the tojan horse once on my other now dead computer. I think the trojan horse has after effects. But I used norton, AVG, ADwear, and a constapaited cat. And yes The constapaited cat was nessary. But anyway I think after I got rid of it, I killed my computer 2 months after. So I lost my archive of wads. I was catagorizing it and telling people where to get the wads and stuff. It was a project on how to stop the N00b questions, like mine where can I get silver2.wad ( I have it, that was an exsample)n But you get my point...

GCFreak said:
I use a combination of Norton AntiVirus (an older version which is NOT a system hog and kills most trojans because its signatures are still being updated) and ZoneAlarm (when it behaves, it works very well).
Older or not this doesn't slow you down? Usually when you use 2 different anti viruses, they contradict each other and can sometimes block each other from getting rid of viruses. Sounds unnecessary. I'm at constant threat of infection due to all the dl'ing I do and AVG works just fine for me.

Cheese said:
At least I got my parents to switch to FireFox.
Been there, tried that, but you know what they say about making a horse drink...Honestly my parents are total idiots. My step-dad's computer got a trojan and I had to get AVG to clear it out, but that was before I knew about having 2 different anti-viruses, and ran the 2007 version of Norton AND AVG. You want to see a slow computer? Oh yeah I forgot to mention it was a Dell. I crashed that piece of garbage twice within a few months of moving in with him. I will NEVER buy a Dell. :P When I got my own pc, I had to clear out everything I installed and my mom picked Norton and IE over AVG and FireFox, even though I tried to explain how they were better and her excuse was that she was just used to IE or whatever. Dumb.

Anyways, after you tear down that wall of text, the moral of the story is, to get rid of a trojan or in general secure your pc get AVG because the FREE version is better than the Norton that you PAY for.

I had a trojin virus. I fixed it by deleting the previous file I downloaded, restarted my computor, then everything was fine.

XsoniccoreX (814) said:
GCFreak said:
Older or not this doesn't slow you down? Usually when you use 2 different anti viruses, they contradict each other and can sometimes block each other from getting rid of viruses. Sounds unnecessary. I'm at constant threat of infection due to all the dl'ing I do and AVG works just fine for me.

ZoneAlarm is not an AntiVirus program. It's an Anti-Spyware and a firewall.

I haven't got a trojan since 2003.
IMHO It often happens to get one when searching for obscure Windows programs or/and cracks.
For me, AVG, Norton, McAfee, etc. are all pieces of crap, and I find the antivirus I use, ClamWin, much better than them.
It's free,open source and portable (i.e runs on Linux, Mac OS X, etc.) and as I don't need always-on scanning because I scan files only after downloading, it suits my needs perfectly. Its definitions are updated quite often.
I find always-on scanning just too pervasive and intruding.
As anti-spyware, I use Spybot S&D. But I use it seldom, as I almost always make sure a program is safe, except if I'm in an hurry.

@tailsmastermind:
Install an antivirus, do not remove trojan viruses that way. It is useless because trojan viruses remain tracks in the system that can be likely used by crackers to control your computer (to make it a spambot, for example) or to spy it

Thanks for the help guys, I had to use backup PC data because the virus was so bad, but its good now XD Im downloading AVG right now to scan just in case.

Eh, whether its gone or not, there's more than "just in case". If you were only going to use it to make sure, I'd keep it. As long as you're going to have internet, you will ALWAYS need an Anti-Virus. And I would recommend getting AVG's anti spyware too, or that one that GCFreak said. ZoneAlarm.

I use AntiVir, it's quite good but I don't really use the computer very much for message boards. I waste all my time playin SRB2.... And it's fun. offtopic: I like bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back