Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to see you're still around making levels, fawfulfan. And despite a long hiatus from the forums, I've actually been keeping good track on the progress of this level pack. I did enjoy this new twist to the srb2 universe, and wanted to share exactly what I thought of it, along with a few inquiries.

Sunshine Atoll Zone
The start of both these levels are amazing. A very well constructed island atmosphere then followed by a leap across the trees. A really good impression for a first level. Those beanstalk structures are pretty unique. Am I correct to assume that they are actual sectors that makes it possible to climb on them? Along with Tyler52, I did notice that those logs do have the sludge effect. These zones only took one real attempt to complete, but hey, it's the visuals that won here.

Eruption Conduit Zone
Conduit?? *checks wordreference.com* Works for me. That is to say, this place does indeed fit its name. The first act was far more difficult than the second, mainly because of all the scrambling around on the lava just to find a way to get off. I did like a lot of the machinery based obstacles, such as the gears and the elevator. Along with the first zone, this one took one attempt...as Talis. Sonic didn't get that lucky.

Drowned Downtown Zone
Now this is an amusing concept: a city with rainy weather, being subjected to random floods that can occasionally have currents. At any rate, it sure is a detailed city, a harbor, a subway, a back alley, even a bathroom. At least in the underwater parts, you supplied plenty of air. I did notice that one of your bubble generators doesn't match where the pipe is at. If this is an accident and you need to know where, I'll attempt to get a snapshot of it if I pass by it again. I died just once or twice with Sonic and Knux mainly for underestimating water physics.

Snowcap Nimbus Zone
This is a pretty fun level, minus all the jetty-syns. Seriously, this place is crawling with them. Why do you love them so? I usually dont mind a few of them, but a lot of them at once gets annoying. At least you do give plenty of space to outrun/kill them. Anyways, the level itself has some cool gimmicks, like the fireflower button, and the oil does really make for a nice effect, especially since you followed the laws of chemistry when designing this level (making the oil float on top of the water).

Gritty Columns Zone
I can almost hear Indiana Jones from somewhere yelling "It belongs in a museum!" You have a lot of speed traps here, that's for sure. Difficulty combined with eye candy...good combination there.

Fume Shaft Zone
Yeah, I let my guard down here...big time. I didn't make the same mistake. Fans that push the player into instant kill acid...yeah, you're definitely making it harder. The custom enemy was a welcome addition, but it kinda sucked that you could just zip by him without even giving him a chance to lay out more drops. I also thought the fan section with the mines was cool, I kinda wished it was longer. Now my question for here has specifically to do with this section I just mentioned: with non-lethal acid followed by bottomless pits, what's the point behind making the acid non-lethal if I'm going to die anyway? Aside from this, visuals still make this level very cool to look at.

Liftoff Gantry Zone
*back on wordreference.com* ...Ok, now that I've learned two new words, this level is an extremely difficult ERZ. With that said, the concepts added into this level were a lot of fun, especially in the 2d section of the 2 act...well, up until "oh f***, laser!" I did notice the vacuum section in that part does present problems in co-op: there is no real way to reset it if the player(s) die, making it a cheap shot if you enter the room without knowing the airlock just opened.

Spacewalk (?) Zone
Respectfully hard of a level, but my fastest run for either act is an average of 15-20 minutes, and that's in net-game mode, switching between the three characters, sometimes including silver and his gravity-defying abilities.

Alien Armageddeon Zone
Got anything better than the title screen music? Ah, I don't care much about that, I listen to alternate soundtracks for some levels anyways (for instance, Pump man's theme goes pretty well with DDZ). You've got quite a level here. You've pulled out all the stops on both design and difficulty. A lot of walls here hate Knux, but this level is totally epic. It was very satisfying to make it all the way through to the end of both acts, and I felt proud that I escaped with one life to spare (out of the 15 I took in there)

Overall 9/10
You have put your heart and soul into this level pack, and it definietly shows. And you've certainly improved since your 1.09.4 map-making days (you were good back then, yes, but now you're better). I sign off this review with high hopes for this level pack. Good work, man. Keep it up.

Fawfulfan... Are you going to do anything about the intense lag in AAZ2? It's making it absolutely impossible for me to complete. Sure, my computer isn't the best, but whereas in other levels, there'd be momentary lag while looking into rooms with lots of FOF's, in AAZ2, it lags horribly whatever I look at. And when you're trying to perform delicate jumps over death pits while avoiding swinging maces, and the lag keeps causing your button presses not to be recognized... It's deadly! :(

Also, I found a bug... It's in AAZ1, in one of the first tunnels, in fact the first one with the death pits I believe. There's a few poles in it, with gears on the ceiling. Below these gears in the death pit, the sector isn't marked as a death pit, and it has a floor texture. I jumped on this once and thought it was something secret, and then I walked off the gear shaped floor and realized it wasn't. XD

And... Expect a music update sometime soon, FINALLY.

Fawfulfan... Are you going to do anything about the intense lag in AAZ2? It's making it absolutely impossible for me to complete. Sure, my computer isn't the best, but whereas in other levels, there'd be momentary lag while looking into rooms with lots of FOF's, in AAZ2, it lags horribly whatever I look at. And when you're trying to perform delicate jumps over death pits while avoiding swinging maces, and the lag keeps causing your button presses not to be recognized... It's deadly! :(
This is news to me. AAZ2 only lags a little for me; the only place it's really bad is in the area with the rotating gears.

Also, I found a bug... It's in AAZ1, in one of the first tunnels, in fact the first one with the death pits I believe. There's a few poles in it, with gears on the ceiling. Below these gears in the death pit, the sector isn't marked as a death pit, and it has a floor texture. I jumped on this once and thought it was something secret, and then I walked off the gear shaped floor and realized it wasn't. XD
I discovered that a while ago, and fixed it. Both acts of AAZ have had a substantial amount of renovation and bugfixes.

Also, glad to hear more music is coming soon--can't wait to hear it!

Tortured planet is really good!
It is just that in the final boss level, instead of there being black egg man, can there something like a big flying ship with egg man in it.
Thanks!

Tortured planet is really good!
It is just that in the final boss level, instead of there being black egg man, can there something like a big flying ship with egg man in it.
Thanks!

You wanna soc it for him?

Seriously, don't people even preview their posts?

Not too much resemblance ERZ3, in this case. Personally, I saw rather a more original final boss in the sense ...
All Eggman boss. Room 1 : the Egg Mobile, then a small road running (passages between two bosses), then the boss THZ2, etc.. A bit like "Death Egg Zone" in Sonic 2.

* First post on the Tortured Planet forum*

Hmm, I'm actually still waiting for version 9.0 to give my review. I hope it'll be soon. :D

---REVIEW---
Coming Soon...

Fawfulfan, I feel I owe you an apology.

This has to do with the slow project I have made on the soundtrack lately. Over the past two months, I made a lot of stupid decisions, and committed myself to a number of music projects which in reality, I couldn't handle. They not only sucked away time I could have spent working on this, they also used up my inspiration, leaving very little left for this. Hence the reason why I haven't finished a song in clear two months total. I have came to my senses though, and realized the foolish projects I committed myself to, when I should have been focusing on this.
So from now on, I'm not going to do anything else musically, no contests (which I dearly love), no other soundtracks, nothing. I am just going to put all my ability into this music, God help me.

I know I have disappointed you all with my failure to put out any songs lately, and I've disappointed myself, too. I would not be surprised at all if you had begun to wonder if I had given up on this! I haven't. In fact, I love this project, and I'm going to see it through to completion. Even if I didn't love it, I would still do so, because I believe in keeping promises that I have made, no exceptions. However, I do love it, so that's not a problem!

And so, I apologize for my stupidity and ask your forgiveness.

And now, I'm going to work on the songs, and this time, I'll be putting my whole self into them.

I absolutely, 100% accept your apology.

I was far too grateful that you were even doing this for me in the first place ever to dream of complaining about your output rate. I always told myself that it was your right to do it at your pace and take up as many side projects as you wanted. But now that you've said that, I suppose I can readily admit I was getting a bit impatient. And I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me that you are now committing to it so wholeheartedly.

Thank you so much for everything you're doing, and keep it up. As always, I'm really eager to hear what your creations!

Last edited:
Am I the only one noticed something rather bold in Charyb's sig? Gentleman, I expect something from him to come tommorow.

Am I the only one noticed something rather bold in Charyb's sig? Gentleman, I expect something from him to come tommorow.

Or today? :3

Nah, take as much time as you need! You know, I once had a dream that SRB2 was finished a little early, so I went to download the first mirror, and the link was broken! So I had no choice but to download the torrent, but the download took 3 HOURS! After the rather huge installer was finished installing, I played the game. I couldn't remember what GreenFlower Zone was like, but I do remember Techno Hill Zone, which was cramped, bland, and it had a strange Metal Sonic-like enemy that transported EXACTLY to the player's position once you were seen by it! I can't remember if I bothered to finish the game, but the entire dream had a moral: A rushed project is absolute crap compared to a project that has a normal pace in progress.

Last edited:
You know, I once had a dream that SRB2 was finished a little early, so I went to download the first mirror, and the link was broken! So I had no choice but to download the torrent, but the download took 3 HOURS! After the rather huge installer was finished installing, I played the game. I couldn't remember what GreenFlower Zone was like, but I do remember Techno Hill Zone, which was cramped, bland, and it had a strange Metal Sonic-like enemy that transported EXACTLY to the player's position once you were seen by it! I can't remember if I bothered to finish the game, but the entire dream had a moral: A rushed project is absolute crap compared to a project that has a normal pace in progress.

That's nice and all...

but what does ANY of that have to do with Tortured Planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back