Three FREE Valve games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

Steam, is being generous and giving away three games as a promotion. Those games are Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, and Portal: The First Slice (Reference to the cake?
emoticon_tongue.png
) and you don't have to do anything at all but visit a secret link on their website. There are two links, one of them being for people who do NOT have NVIDIA based graphics cards, and the other is for people who do.

You have to have Steam, and you have to be registered for it.

If you have a NVIDIA based graphics card, visit here:
http://www.steampowered.com/nvidia/#

If not, please visit here:
http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/

Once you visit the link, click on "Get It Now" and steam will open. It's pretty self-explanatory after that.

This is actually old news, and has been around since 2008, but I felt like telling members here about it.

Does anyone know if these games are good, or worth it? Is it anything like the real games? (What I mean, is Portal:First Slice, how is it different then just normal Portal?)

Based on the links you posted, those with Nvidia Drivers get 4 games (Those listed +Peggle Extreme), but those with ATI get 2, the Half-Life games.)
Well, Peggle is fun at least but I already have the other ones.
Also, the first slice is refered to the Official Demo, so there ya go.
EDIT:LIES!, I got no Peggle! RAGE!
[/Rage] Oh well. I got what I paid for.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if these games are good, or worth it? Is it anything like the real games? (What I mean, is Portal:First Slice, how is it different then just normal Portal?)

The freebie HL2:DM doesn't give you the Source SDK to play mods (which is a big selling point of HL2)

Lost Coast is a very lame short and linear level, made showcasing the engine's buggy "HDR". It's a tech demo.

Portal: First Slice is very stripped down, it is a demo.

Yes, these freebie offers are well known, they're even linked to from installing driver sets for ATI or Nvidia cards.

I took advantage of these a few years ago. HL2:DM was probably the only thing worth it for a little while.

I'm pretty sure neither of these are really secret so much as expired. Seriously, look at the date and pricing on that ATi one. Aside from being dated 2007, it shows Half-Life 2 as "now $19.95 for a limited time"! But, the normal Steam store price is nary 4 cents more! What a savings?

I mean, if they get you the game for free, they get you the game for free, but, well, First Slice was free anyway (it's just a demo), Lost Coast and HL2DM are available to pretty much anyone who owns Half-Life 2, and Peggle Extreme is part of The Orange Box (not to mention it's just a glorified demo for Peggle, awesome though Peggle is - it's nowhere near as fully-featured as said product).

Not like it matters, anyway, since I have all of the products in question. (Well, I don't have First Slice, but I do have Portal itself, so First Slice is irrelevant.)

This is what brought me to Steam. Very much so worth it if you haven't experienced it; it's DRM done right.

Last edited:
I am not happy with these downloads. I'll start with Lost Coast.
Ok, so I go... Climb up the mountains.. Go to these strange houses. Then I play with the gravity tool. I start walking around and what...? I'm stuck! I can not move. So I shut down. Then I try out DM.

I join a server, I can not talk. It took forever to get in, it has way too many files. Filled with bad filenames. So I knew this was going to be bad. So I start walking... "You will be abused" I get unprotected, my screen starts shaking, I'm on flames and then I suddenly die. Constantly, till I quit.

I joined another server, gravity was low. The pistol was super powerful for whatever reason. I died as soon as I spawned... fun huh?

I also got TrackMania. I played the game before. So far the only game worth it is TM.

T-T I don't have Nvidia. I prefer finish HL:BS and HL:OF and then I will play Portal, and then I will play HL2 (Because Portal story is between HL and HL2)

This offer got me on Steam, which led to TF2, CSS.. etc.

I never cared for Lost Coast because I just went up a staircase, the combine shot the rest down so I couldn't get up anymore, and I just quit and uninstalled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back