Thoughts on SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humorously you've actually pointed out two of my personal things for removal, that stupid Nitric Citadel slime and the wind tunnel (because the wind tunnel is stupidly unfair). The green slime should be replaced with a normal painful hazard and the wind tunnel could probably just be removed because it isn't all that much fun.
didn't I hear at one time that a path was removed so as to force you into the wind tunnel?

Tried a match briefly, but my crappy wireless connection forced me to leave lest I lag it up for everyone. My first impression was 1) it feels a lot less like Sonic and a lot more like a regular FPS, and 2) for me personally, that's a bad thing - I suck at every FPS I've played, and could never come to grips with mouse control.

I have fond memories of throwing rings around in small, symmetrical levels, using 100% keyboard control, and - occasionally - even winning a game! That's clearly all in the past, but I'm ok with that. :) For most players, who don't share my limitations when it comes to FPS games, or my fetish for symmetry, I'm sure the changes are all to the good.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everyone!
I always liked the idea of the old weapon system, it was grand and refreshing when I bumped into SRB2. (Won my first match!... which says a lot about my opponents in said match, but I suppose I was genre savvy enough to use mouselook.)

However, the prevailing wisdom that "Tails fails and Knux sux" is an obsolete throwback from those days, before the other two guys were buffed. The new rings, too provide greater strategy, and the ability to play without a sling normal button and not be too gimped in that respect. (The grenade ring is nowhere near as useless as it appears, even against people who know how to evade them.)

I do prefer the new system, especially as it's still not a generic FPS (think damage system, projectile speed, and player speed and special abilities)

Let's append current ERZ1 into ERZ2 somewhere, and make ERZ1 a level for teaching gimmicks.

i.e.,
-Locked door with a hallway next to it that has a power button. Upon pressing the button, beams of electricity appear in the hallway (finished half-life yesterday, but hopefully the intersection between the two fanbases isn't too large)
-Space room where there is a direct path from the entrance to the exit covered with the blue air zones - upon trying to take the most direct path, the player encounters space countdown (maybe we should make space countdown use the drowning music so it's more obvious)
etc

I like ERZ2 in it's current state. It's my favorite level, in fact.

In liking this, am I different? ...Yes. Do I like lots of things other people don't like, such as wind tunnels, grind rails, and spring chains? ...Yes to that too. If anything, my least favorite gimmick in ERZ is the appear-disappear blue blocks in ERZ1 and the fans in ERZ2. That's it. I like the constant danger, and I find the levels quite easy now. I frequently spend 30 minutes in ERZ2 poking around, finding secret areas, seeing what happens when you do this and not this, seeing how gimmicks function, and using noclip to explore scenic areas. I like the level not because it has classic Sonic design (which it doesn't, for the most part) but because it is thought provoking. Such as many of the gimmicks, I enjoy checking the starpost before them, going through it, seeing a little detail that looks interesting, committing suicide, and going back to review the gimmick and make connections, such as how I think it was set up and how I would do it.

...I'm sorry, I enjoy thinking!

Tried a match briefly, but my crappy wireless connection forced me to leave lest I lag it up for everyone. My first impression was 1) it feels a lot less like Sonic and a lot more like a regular FPS, and 2) for me personally, that's a bad thing - I suck at every FPS I've played, and could never come to grips with mouse control.

I have fond memories of throwing rings around in small, symmetrical levels, using 100% keyboard control, and - occasionally - even winning a game! That's clearly all in the past, but I'm ok with that. :) For most players, who don't share my limitations when it comes to FPS games, or my fetish for symmetry, I'm sure the changes are all to the good.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everyone!
I don't know if you know but you can turn off the FPV off and play like a normal sonic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back