Thokking during race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpshade

Usually lurks somewhere.
Is it bad? I went onto a netgame today and got told by a sonic that thokking is for noobs. I don't netgame much. Is this true?

Sounds like someone who can't thok very well. No, thokking is a perfectly legitimate technique that both new and old members use. Whoever told you this is clearly not a very intelligent person.

Sonic has bad accel and control. We could give him the shield abilities as exclusive, but would that really work here in a 3D game? Not at all. What would Sonic's advantage be? Tails and Knux are masters of the air, so its pretty natural Sonic is master of speed. Although I do think there should be a console command called "allowthok". If its 0, any thok ability will change to double jump, but by default it would be 1.

Super mystic sonic said:
We could give him the shield abilities as exclusive, but would that really work here in a 3D game? Not at all.
How do you figure?

But yeah, I was told the same thing in a race once, so it's probably the same guy. Thokking takes a lot more skill to handle than simply running all over the place- when I told him that, he shut up rather quickly. He must know he's in the wrong here, so just use that as a trump card the next time someone bitches about it.

I see that thokking is very addictive in these race maps, but it may take away the variety and make it boring (you know, some noob that wants to win and there are like 100 sonics).

or... better not pay attention to me... i think that thokking is cheating already so... i use knuckles to variate a little. kthxbye.

The Blue Panther said:
or... better not pay attention to me... i think that thokking is cheating already so... i use knuckles to variate a little. kthxbye.

How is thokking cheating? Because it's fast? It's supposed to be. We're talking about Sonic.

The Blue Panther said:
I see that thokking is very addictive in these race maps, but it may take away the variety and make it boring (you know, some noob that wants to win and there are like 100 sonics).

Boring? If your skilled at Thoking and vsing someone else thats good to it gets very intense.

Thokking can a bit risky, though. If you go all out at the top of speed, you can make totally awesome results. But then, if you hit a wall, you're screwed up.

But Tails/Knux players should get a chance to keep up. How about having constant runshoes effect on everyone in race?

Thanks guys, I thought I was in the right, but figured it would be best to ask. Also, I later beat him without thok on GFZ2. The way I see it, if you don't like going up against a decent sonic player and losing, get better at your chosen character. I lose most races, but whether it's because of lack of skill or lack of level layout knowledge I don't know. I haven't got the Time Attack bonus yet so I'm thinking a bit of both :D .

Super mystic sonic said:
But Tails/Knux players should get a chance to keep up. How about having constant runshoes effect on everyone in race?

Why does everything have to be overpowered to make up for anothers advantage?

Honestly, I've thought about balancing race before and the conclusion I came up with is "It's just not worth fixing it." The amount of effort that would be required to make the characters balanced in race is just not worth the effort it would require to find a balance.

Play as Sonic in Race. If you don't, you'll lose or you're abusing some nice trick to take a great shortcut as another character.

That's just the bottom line.

Actually, Tails dominates in many ares because he doesn't have to put up with walls or crappy platforms. I depends on the arena.

I think we should just have race maps made for only one character, with a forceskin added to it. That way, not only would we have to worry about imbalance between the characters, we can also have Tails and Knuckles get some light in race/circuit maps. For the SP maps, the level can just change a little to be suited for a certain character.

Well, the SP maps tend to be more diverse and have far, far more shortcuts available than their Circuit contemporaries. I mean, for instance, Tails could fly across the lake in GFZ1, while Sonic would be forced to go around. It's a minor gain, perhaps, but it's there.

I joined a race and guess what? Not only were all the guests (and host) n00bs, they were sonics. When I changed my character to tails they started being all n00by saying that they could beat me easly (they said more than that but its to rude to say). I joined in lap 2 of 5 in somefactory level, I stood still while changing my name and character, and I set off. At the end, the fools were quiet and the server closed. I won, even though they used thoks over and over and over *insert 30 'and over' here*.
Thokking isn't cheating, but n00bs seem to over use it to the point where they lose control.

If you are going to complain about thokking during race, you might as well use Draykons deaththok.soc to prevent thokking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back