The SRB2 Workshop Situation just got worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just like srb2 mods I don't really care about drama honestly
Post automatically merged:

I just like srb2 mods I don't really care about drama honestly
Oh yeah I also forgot to mention tgtls dipped into workshop exclusivity too with classic forces sonic it's nothing actually like frontiers sonic but also kinda is let me just put a gif here honestly it's a really fun mod

Attachments

• 20231116_210029.gif
    20231116_210029.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Yeah that's not nearly as normal or rational as you try to make it out to be. They're the ones who continue to cross our boundaries. They're the ones who keep this alive, not us.
Bruh, I'm not even trying to make it sound normal, I'm saying the true facts and the TF you mean "cross our boundaries" y'all act like SRB2 Workshop is some major threat to SRB2MB Society or some shit like that when it's really not AND ALSO y'all the ones keep acknowledging it's existence 24/7, stop acting like SRB2 community is all sunshine and rainbows, when it's really just toxic cesspool like any other community

"Some people want us to ask for permission before editing their stuff? This is completely unacceptable, let's make our own site specifically to be allowed to do that."
Yeah that's not nearly as normal or rational as you try to make it out to be. They're the ones who continue to cross our boundaries. They're the ones who keep this alive, not us.
Because
1700192296119.png
this doesn't exist? Ringslinger Plus is Workshop-exclusive. LiquidMS is Workshop-exclusive.
Alongside this, portlegs, which are in the Red Sphere Section, have the
1700192474580.png
tag, and semi-original works that have made use of existing content do not. The Workshop does not exist to steal Message Board addons, nor to replace the Message Board.

Because View attachment 104679 this doesn't exist? Ringslinger Plus is Workshop-exclusive. LiquidMS is Workshop-exclusive.
Alongside this, portlegs, which are in the Red Sphere Section, have the View attachment 104680 tag, and semi-original works that have made use of existing content do not. The Workshop does not exist to steal Message Board addons, nor to replace the Message Board.
When I make my own mod I wanna use the workshop as a testing ground mainly because when it comes to mods over there it's a lot more free and besides when I bring the mod to other sites I'll just take out the stuff that would be bad for the standards of those sites

The Workshop does not exist to steal Message Board addons
i mean by definition a portleg (which the ws was created to facilitate, the blue sphere section is just there for people who want to upload their own original mods (which you can just do on the message board anyway with more of a playerbase and wider appeal)) is an addon either ported from an older version or using content from an existing mod, both without permission from the author so yeah technically the workshop does indeed exist to steal message board addons

Isn't there ANYWAY that we can like,solve our problems with WS?
It would be hard to SOMEHOW resolve all our problems with them but like,can't we try?

Isn't there ANYWAY that we can like, solve our problems with WS?
It would be hard to SOMEHOW resolve all our problems with them but like, can't we try?
Yea! That's what I'm saying, Cuz then I can legally use their mods that aren't here yet! AND so that there's no rivalry or scheming happening.

i mean by definition a portleg (which the ws was created to facilitate, the blue sphere section is just there for people who want to upload their own original mods (which you can just do on the message board anyway with more of a playerbase and wider appeal)) is an addon either ported from an older version or using content from an existing mod, both without permission from the author so yeah technically the workshop does indeed exist to steal message board addons
Just because it allows them doesn't mean it was created to facilitate them. Besides, even if it was, sometimes portlegs are better than an actual update.
See SRB2Hub for example: Officially sanctioned update gets posted on the MB, and it's got the worst design changes you've ever seen. Slopes in the main area, Egg Zapper in the cafeteria, unconverted textures that, in the case of the picture of the two Tails players in the Greenflower part of the Gameplay Hub, weren't even re-taken, and more. I made my own personal port of the map before this other one existed, and it has none of these issues because it's a straight port of the original with only minor tweaks to update things like said Tails image, and even the Master Emerald sprite using a Mystic Realm Community Edition texture that just so happened to be the right size.
tl;dr: Portlegs aren't always bad. "Respect for the artist" means nothing when the artist (or someone given permission by them) does a bad job updating their work.

And there is a mf in the WS saying that he'll expose the mb and blah blah blah
Even the WS admins think that this expose thing is dumb:welcometoreleases:

this again!?

Isn't there ANYWAY that we can like,solve our problems with WS?
It would be hard to SOMEHOW resolve all our problems with them but like,can't we try?
why? see linked post

Yea! That's what I'm saying, Cuz then I can legally use their mods that aren't here yet!
you can use their mods already, just not the ones that specifically modify something that is not an open asset here.

The Workshop does not exist to steal Message Board addons
Just because it allows them doesn't mean it was created to facilitate them.
this was the original intention of the workshop when it was created though. it was specifically created for the purposes of "stealing" addons and the facilitation thereof.

yall arguing about mods that are free
mods that are free created by someone spending their free time and effort to make something for you to play and enjoy

tl;dr: Portlegs aren't always bad. "Respect for the artist" means nothing when the artist (or someone given permission by them) does a bad job updating their work.
if you have to use the bootleg part of "portleg" then yeah, it's bad
not in terms of being badly designed or something, you can do cool stuff without the author's permission
but that's the crux of the problem that labels it as a bootleg: no author's permission

it doesn't matter if your mod greatly surpassed whatever the author intended to do or not, or if you "respect the artist" or not, or if the author straight up sucks at whatever they set out to do
you can't modify someone's work and then expect everyone to be okay with it.
just make your own original work at that point if you're so hellbent on heavily modifying an existing work

ignoring past demeanors from a group (read: just their staff, really) that got mega pissy over some random rule having their mod rejected in the board then pretending they're innocent and whatever is not the greatest idea of all

Last edited:
Look, I understand yall did what you could and put all your hard work into these mods, but if they're free, you should expect them to be taken and put somewhere else. You COULD also ask the mods if you can make people PAY to use your things. No, if you simply have the no open assets setting, I can understand. But if you give people full permission to use your stuff, you can't get mad at them for using your mod. That's just how it works.
Post automatically merged:

Anyone close this thread.
fr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back