The Eclipse

Startin

"Mein Führer, I can walk!"
Well guys did you see it?
it became nighttime for a minute or 2 but slowly returned back to daytime.

It was only a partial solar eclipse where I was, so the sun's disc never got completely blotted-out, but thankfully the only weather was just high-altitude clouds, and the sunshine was continuous all-throughout its duration. I kept the same eclipse-viewing glasses that Home Depot had available during the October 2023 solar eclipse to re-utilize for today's one, and this time I was able to keep track of its progression from beginning to end the entire afternoon. At the "maximum" or peak phase, something like a little under 60% coverage by the moon it turned out being, meaning the crescent-shaped sun didn't really perceivably dim my surroundings much. Technically I could continue to save those same glasses for the next total solar eclipse in the US which wouldn't be until... 2044, but even then, that one is projected to go mostly over Canada and only will cross a few northern mountainous parts of the contiguous 48. It says the following year will have one in a better path though, so time will tell in 21 years from now if I suddenly remember to bring out my ancient flimsy eclipse glasses for an event lasting a much tinier sliver of an amount of time in comparison to that lunatical wait. By then, the bulk of the ones they'd manufacture will probably be of a sturdier material..?

What's amazing is I learned there were some radio stations getting festive for the astronomical event occurring - I peeked at an old rock music station in an area of the state I used to live in, and I heard them play "Eclipse" by Pink Floyd as well as "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden lol

I don't live in the areas where the solar eclipse happened D:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back