• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Desineon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DS Piron

I have been making a match stage,
http://host-a.net/dl-0-3353228641161252227.html
screenshots
srb20003.png

srb20004.png

srb20005.png

srb20006.png

srb20009.png

srb20010.png

srb20011.png

Rooms
One with a fragile glass floor
Two rooms with thin walkways, and the rest with death pits
One story of which has a few crates in it.
An air duct system.
and a room damaged by micrometeorites, leaging it to have no oxigen.

bugs:
zoomtube does not work properly, you'll head right back out.

while are afew more bugs in it, I don't remember them, or if they've been fixed.

what do you think, what else needs improvement?

have you played it recently? I've modified it between the four games.
If so, I'll try to make it less cramped.

hi

ignore all the bad comments that people through at you and carry on making this wad as it looks cool and i 100% support this

Re: hi

silver said:
ignore all the bad comments that people through at you and carry on making this wad as it looks cool and i 100% support this
thanks, but i'm still going to listen, I might not see the flaws and/or know on how to correct them. Like the crates.

Re: hi

silver said:

That's bad advice, and should be ignored. One person's opinion does not overrule what is generally held as acceptable & decent.

It is an extremely cramped level and really needs to be made a lot bigger.

yes, it might need to be made bigger, but the problem would be that the levels design.

trust me though, you wouldn't have liked egg break/base

DS, it's a good idea, and it looks good too. The only thing is the size issue... what you could do is just double the size. I mean, double almost EVERYTHING's size (sector heights too, such as tunnels and FOFs). It'll probably look even better, and play better too.

Jazz said:
This map completely fails. The reason? Even Doom maps are less cramped than this.

Read and understand.
I find that very rude. You can't just classify a map as a failure only because of the amount of space; there's many other aspects to a map to judge. Concentrating on one problem may help the person in the process of understanding and fixing it, but for such a minor problem that could be solved with a couple of clicks... it's just a rude thing to say, especially if that's the only problem (and an easily solvable one at that (by the way, I'm purposely being repetitious)). I do find it exceedingly cramped; no I do not disagree with you on that, but it doesn't completely fail. You have to admit: It's better than a lot of the crap that gets submitted.

Anyway, I just like to remember the old motto. "If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

thanks, this map will be expanded,all but the air vents. this is becuase air vents are not suppost too be roomy, let alone big enough to let someone walk through...
I apologize for my spelling mistakes, if any.

Ash said:
Jazz said:
This map completely fails. The reason? Even Doom maps are less cramped than this.

Read and understand.
I find that very rude. You can't just classify a map as a failure only because of the amount of space;

Size is a fundamental attribute that makes or breaks maps. A map that is not playable fails, period.

Reality checks are usually rude. I am not about to apologize for it. Reality checks are a necessary part of life. People have told me my maps partially or completely fail in the past for various reasons. (Some still do now!) Nobody's work will get any better without such checks, regardless of how rude they are.

Ash said:
there's many other aspects to a map to judge. Concentrating on one problem may help the person in the process of understanding and fixing it, but for such a minor problem that could be solved with a couple of clicks...

Simply making the level twice as big isn't really going to solve the problem. This map needs to be reworked with better proportions. Passages need to be at least eight times bigger, the rest of the level needs to be about two to three times bigger. Once that happens, all the sectors have to be rearranged, then reworked with obstacles objects and hazards since the larger size will mandate room sector layout to be changed, etc.

Ash said:
it's just a rude thing to say, especially if that's the only problem (and an easily solvable one at that (by the way, I'm purposely being repetitious)).

Once again, read above. If the problem were that easy to solve, I wouldn't have stated that the map completely fails.

Ash said:
I do find it exceedingly cramped; no I do not disagree with you on that, but it doesn't completely fail. You have to admit: It's better than a lot of the crap that gets submitted.

This map in its current form is really not that much better than most of the crap that gets submitted. Sorry.

I will admit that his grasp on technical aspects (FOFs/Sector effects) is great for his first map, but that still doesn't save said map from failure.

Ash said:
Anyway, I just like to remember the old motto. "If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

I don't seem to remember telling him to not try again. If I had submitted my first WAD (which was eerily similar in crampedness) I would have expected similar reactions. That would be why I deleted it and tried a new idea from scratch.

Hence, I cleared the table and tried again. The map maker on the other hand, has two choices:

1. Try to rework what he has with something similar to what I stated.
2. Delete and start over with the same theme, building a map with better proportions.

Ash said:
Jazz said:

Read and understand.
I find that very rude. You can't just classify a map as a failure only because of the amount of space;

Actually you can classify a wad on it's space. It'll be too easy to shoot/kill somone. Think about falling ina pit that wa too cramped.

I thought I might have to redo it.
Oh well, maybe I can redo some things better anyway, the first stairway had broke, texture wise when I expanded it earlier...

First downloader!!! Now to test this and... EW!!!

First of all, it's in the level select.

At the singleplayer beginning there is 10 25-ring boxes (250 rings), 2 of each shield boxes, 2 speed sneakers and 2 lives.

The ring boxes and the two lives = 4 lives.

And it's too small, as are the floating platforms in the outside area.

Do the world a favour and read this.

First of all, it's in the level select.
... I must have forgotten that

At the singleplayer beginning there is 10 25-ring boxes (250 rings), 2 of each shield boxes, 2 speed sneakers and 2 lives.

The ring boxes and the two lives = 4 lives.
It's not meant for singleplayer, but I Think I will remove most items from the ship, (including the super weapon rings) due to the fact that I've made it enterable in match as well...

And it's too small, as are the floating platforms in the outside area

I'll try to expand the map...

but besides these problems, it's fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back