Television decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.Pepper said:
Actually, television has always been 90% garbage, just look at all of the crappy low-budget cartoons from the 60's, I won't say what shows they are because there are so many of them and it might offend the members here that liked some of them.

I thought that low-budget was the norm back then. People probably like them for nostalgic purposes or just because the cheesiness caused by the low budget is amusing enough to make it worth watching.

Dr.Pepper said:
I hate it when they have to resort to bathroom humor excessively, because it is so heavily abused.

I actually won't watch a show that uses bathroom humor to a certain extent. If its a few isolated instances and its actually funny without being too offensive I don't mind as much but overall its really not that funny. Partly because the comedy aspect is so cheap in cartoons and because of this, I've never really watched very many cartoons at all outside the classics. (Mickey, Bugs Bunny, etc.)

On the subject of Scooby Doo, I think that series lasted longer than it should have. I liked Scrappy Doo in the Boo Brothers but I can see how he would get annoying, and the point where they decided it would be more interesting if the monsters were real was something I resented. The Live-action movies were something that should never have happened...

And concerning Tom and Jerry, I actually don't think I would be very startled by the amount of violence used in it. Its all slapstick, and never bothered me... and there really wasn't any blood and most of the time the injuries were shown in the form of a half-bald Tom with a black eye if memory serves me correctly.

Naga said:
I don't watch TV. :D

Because nothing is on anymore that I enjoy. All these new shows on CN - I want Dragonball and various "classic" Hannah Babera shows. :< Loved the Jetsons and Flintstones. :P

Also, Scooby Doo. It now sucks. :<

(Though I did see Sonic Underground one night. Nostalgia... though switched it over when the three hedgies started to sing.)
Naga the old scooby doo is still on but like early in the afternoon

JEV3 said:
I thought that low-budget was the norm back then. People probably like them for nostalgic purposes or just because the cheesiness caused by the low budget is amusing enough to make it worth watching.
TV has always had low-budget cartoons up until recently. (I haven't seen any sloppy mouth movement in more recent cartoons.) The first TMNT cartoon from the 80's or Thundarr the Barbarian is a good example of the many poorly-animated cartoons from that time. I remember seeing some sloppy movement in certain Nicktoons from the 90's as well.
JEV3 said:
On the subject of Scooby Doo, I think that series lasted longer than it should have. I liked Scrappy Doo in the Boo Brothers but I can see how he would get annoying, and the point where they decided it would be more interesting if the monsters were real was something I resented. The Live-action movies were something that should never have happened...
I agree with you on that. I did like to watch Scooby Doo until Scrappy came into the series, and the live-action movies sucked very badly.

LOOOOOONG POOOOST

SSN said:
Spongebob didn't lower any standards. Stuff like Fairly Odd Parents, Life of a Teenage Robot and Danny Phantom did.

Massive D:
I really liked early FOP, even though that watching it multiple times doesn't get me as watching animaniacs or freakazoid multiple times. Watching it for the first time, though, earned it a spot in my heart. The later seasons suck horribly though, I liked it when Timmy's design wasn't so solid, and he would stretch inconsistently from frame to frame... good times.
Life as a Teenage robot, as much as I hated it, some jokes were clever.
Danny phantom... Dunno about this one, the later episodes had good plots, very entertaining ones IMO, even though the action was cheesy, and since characters had evolved a bit, there were new fresh twists, even though most were stereotyped.

verifiaman said:
I think todays animators should take a lesson from steven spielberg. His cartoons rocked!!!
I agree, but times are changing, and I can see that humour in cartoons is much more fast paced than before, if you don't trust me go watch El Tigre (BTW, I do like El Tigre, hit me)

Kuja said:
Everything CN made before 2004 > My Gym Partner is a Monkey
I don't think I've ever watched a more horrible monstrosity than that.... for the love of god. It's just not funny, and the concept is unoriginal.

Ice said:
The Secret Show (nicktoons network).
Oh god no, not the secret show. It's one of my FAVOURITE. As silly as it is, as generic as it is, as dumb as it is, it's got some of the cleverest (Let me repeat silly just for the sake of it) plots I've seen, and some of them do shine in originality. As for the running gags... not much to comment on.
In short, I love The Secret Show, I wish they would air it here again.

Goober said:
On the topic of Spongebob: Any episodes released BEFORE the Movie came out are still really entertaining. At some point after the movie came out however, the quality of the shows began to decline, and it became less clever comedy and more potty humor... I hate potty humor.
This guy is right. Spongebob at first, was a very entertaining cartoon, and it did something ren and stimpy did, and they did it well. You know those close up detailed images to highlight the ridiculousness of the cartoon or some expression? Yeah, those.

Gemini Spark said:
Okay, here's a hint. Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island? Just...no.
Right next with gym partner. I simply couldn't stand evens seeing it. It was a pathetic attempt to create another spongebob.
Oh and Johnny Test? I remember that when it first premiered it was like "Meh, changing the channel." Then something funny happened and I said "Eh, this is actually funny!" Then I waited some more. "Meh, changing the channel." Then something funny happened and I said "Eh, this is actually funny!" Repeat for the entirety of the episode.
It was funny, but the space between the good spots was unbereable. When they switched to crappier and percievably lower quality animation, the show started to suck.

And for Scooby Doo, I never liked it. They solved "Real life crimes" by cartoonish means. Which made the hole thing lose it's appeal, I was also expecting an acually "Find clues, discover the baddy yourself" kind of toon.
I never really liked Hannah Barbera toons. Maybe I just wasn't appealed to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back