Television decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

verifiaman

The master of verification.
This will probably get blocked, but in your opinion, what do you think was the show that lowered the standards or childrens cartoons in America?

Spongebob didn't lower any standards. Stuff like Fairly Odd Parents, Life of a Teenage Robot and Danny Phantom did.

I think todays animators should take a lesson from steven spielberg. His cartoons rocked!!!

Everything CN made before 2004 > My Gym Partner is a monkey/Chowder/Anything CN pooped out after 2004.

This formula applies for Nickelodeon, too. With the exception of Avatar.

Lemme list:
Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy,
Cow and Chicken (early on too),
Fairly odd parents,
Danny Phantom,
Chowder,
Spongebob (nowadays, the new episodes suck),
The Secret Show (nicktoons network).

Those are the ones I can think of right now. I don't know why all these new shows thing hypocrisy, and people being obnoxious and gross is funny. I liked it better when shows were clever funny, and not random funny.

My siblings and I watched a bit of Toon Disney for the time, I wasn't overly concerned with the quality of tv shows for the most part at the time because I wasn't viewing them critically, unless it was a show that included characters I knew and loved. Quack Pack pretty much destroyed what I liked about cute little Huey, Dewey, and Louie and from some of the other things I've seen Mickey Mouse and Goofy have quit being funny in their recent incarnations.

I actually haven't seen any cartoons in a long time, I wouldn't mind seeing some more Looney Tunes, Mickey Mouse, Tom and Jerry, and the like.

As for other shows besides cartoons, my family mostly watches TVLand because the older sitcoms/westerns/dramas tend to be more family-friendly than other live shows and less cheesy than Disney. We watched Jericho during both of its seasons and became huge fans of it, and I followed the movement to bring it back for a second season and sent some emails on its behalf.

However it seems that shows like Jericho aren't as common as they ought to be (as far as really well-developed serial dramas) and in their place they have some pretty ridiculous reality shows. Apparently the people that 'count' prefer to sit down for a bit and watch some of that than become invested in a long developed story.

I can't speak on the condition of American cartoons, but what we have up here is, quite honestly, meh. I generally only watch TV if there's a specific situation that calls for it (MythBusters special, banned from PC/Wii, etc.)

verifiaman said:
I think todays animators should take a lesson from steven spielberg. His cartoons rocked!!!

Quoted for great justice. Animaniacs are even funnier to me now than when I was a kid.

On the topic of Spongebob: Any episodes released BEFORE the Movie came out are still really entertaining. At some point after the movie came out however, the quality of the shows began to decline, and it became less clever comedy and more potty humor... I hate potty humor.

Over the years, I've seen it happen more to Cartoon Network though. I saw it first when Cartoon Network cancelled Dexter's Laboratory, which should have never happened in my opinion.

Personally I think we lost something as a culture when Looney Tunes violence somehow became unacceptable for children. The complete lack of G rated films nowadays is a perfect example. It's not that most of these films aren't appropriate for children, it's just that the perception has changed so they have to rate basically everything PG to cover their butt.

Here's the scale of intelligence as I see it:

Admins/Mods here (IQ 300; common sense 100%)
Users (IQ 125; common sense 75%)
Eggman: (IQ 300; common sense 0%)
ESRB (IQ 250: common sense 100%)
n00bs (IQ <10; common sense 1% [for not jumping off bridges IRL])
media ratings board (PG-rating on the teletubbies movie for example.)

Okay, here's a hint. Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island? Just...no.
Johnny Test? Not AS much "just no".
CN shows besides the Toonami stuff? They could learn a few things from 4KidsTV.

I don't watch TV. :D

Because nothing is on anymore that I enjoy. All these new shows on CN - I want Dragonball and various "classic" Hannah Babera shows. :< Loved the Jetsons and Flintstones. :P

Also, Scooby Doo. It now sucks. :<

(Though I did see Sonic Underground one night. Nostalgia... though switched it over when the three hedgies started to sing.)

Tom and Jerry IMO
As a child I thought it was hilarious, but watching it now I can't believe how violent it was..

The new George of the Jungle sucks. Why remake a perfectly good cartoon?
Hm.... So you hate new cartoons just 'cause they're centered more on potty humor? Hm... I'll admit...It does get a little overused in cartoons nowadays.
Shall we ever hope to see the day when a show comes and raises the standards for cartoons? Well.... As long as the cartoons aren't horrible... ( Anyone remember Gene Deitch? )

Actually, television has always been 90% garbage, just look at all of the crappy low-budget cartoons from the 60's, I won't say what shows they are because there are so many of them and it might offend the members here that liked some of them. TV is like the internet, if a lot of people have access to it, most of what is made for it is rubbish, just look at Youtube. :P It's constantly off-line due to maintenance, and it takes forever to find what you want to watch, because most of it is garbage.
I'm not saying all of TV is bad, but that most of it isn't really worth watching. A decent cartoon or documentary will come on every now and again that will be good, but will start rotting once the series hits the big screen or run out of good ideas. I hate it when they have to resort to bathroom humor excessively, because it is so heavily abused. Toilet humor usually isn't hilarious the second time around if not executed properly, and it usually isn't, it's just another cheap way to get some laughter out of the audience.
As of today, TV is completely boring unless you mind watching good reruns, so I gave up my cable. I never really watch a lot of TV anyway, I don't even have a DVD player. XD

I dont watch TV, that 37" HDTV only has a DVD player, 360 and a PC plugged into it. ^^

Apart from Doctor Who, I always watch that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back