• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Team Recreation's W.I.P Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellarStardust

I am the perfect and elegant maid~
DC5hcKD.png

So, we're been working on this for a while now.

M59FTKV.png

Classic Sonic Recreation Blast 2 is a level pack to port or remake Sonic 1 as close as possible, but not just the Genesis version, but the Game Gear's levels as well.
However, it does have some twists and extras as well.
But what are they, you say?

EFOr1nW.png

You'll find out in due time.

Team Members(so far):

Hedgefox(Me)
Nintensis
Prisima the Fox

EDIT: Credit to Duon for the new name. Hopefully this doesn't confuse or 'clickbait' anyone.

Last edited:
Love it!

Looks very Interesting, I love the concept of this project and I hope that I get to play it soon. ;)

Small Update

This may not be much, but...

CAAm5GQ.png

For those who've seen Prisima's thread will recognize these sprites.

He made them for the project which now dubbed as Classic Sonic Recreation Blast 2. (Thanks to Duon for the name!)

I posted the screenshot to show how it looks in-game.

Enjoy. :)

Nice! The ring looks as smooth as knuckles. Ha, keep up thw good looking work!

Alright, since no one wants to say anything bad about this, I'll step up.

I'm going to apologize in advance for being really nitpicky, since... well, there's hardly anything to talk about. My first suggestion is to not start a thread when you only have GFZ1 with a different palette to show off. If you're trying to build up hype by hinting you have more to show off, it doesn't work (on me, at least) because there's pretty much nothing here to get hyped about. If I showed a picture of this to someone who hasn't seen this thread, would they think this was a Sonic 1 remake, or just a palette mod?

Next, the title screen. It looks very... eh. The SRB2 Sonic and the S1 ring both clash heavily and it makes Sonic look like a giant and/or the ring look tiny. I'll admit, the beige version for the intermission is a neat touch, even if the idea's taken from S1's level select.

Finally, the palette. The whole reason I wanted to make this post was so that I could warn you: you're making a lot of mistakes I made in older versions of Color +. First of all, the new blue clearly looks out of place. Its hue is also off, making it look more purple than S1's desaturated blue. The green and gold look like they had their saturation turned up full blast, and I'd imagine it'd be headache-inducing looking at it for a prolonged amount of time. I see where you're coming from, you're trying to make it look more colorful to accommodate the graphics, but I think SRB2's colors are already vibrant enough to do this. For example, GHZ's walls could likely be imported with the current orange colors; you don't need to make gold look worse. And lastly, the yellow looks really dull and gross on the HUD. In S1, it's only a tiny bit off from plain yellow, so I have zero idea why'd you want to make it even murkier than 2.1's yellow already is. EDIT: I also only just noticed the S3K bubble shield because of the brightness of the palette. That's probably not a good thing.

While I am curious about where you could take this, there's nothing to really go off of to make me excited for this, and what there is not very impressive or I feel aren't very good changes. However, it's really hard to tell what your trying to make here. It's mostly just graphical changes, and that doesn't really tell us a lot about a level pack.

Last edited:
I really hope you're going to be using 3D mode and slopes for this. SRB2's 2D mode isn't good enough to recreate Sonic 1's levels.

I really hope you're going to be using 3D mode and slopes for this. SRB2's 2D mode isn't good enough to recreate Sonic 1's levels.
I don't think SRB2's capabilities are good enough to recreate any of Green Hill, nor Star Light. cough loops cough

Ok, thank you all for the feedback.

@TehRealSalt Ok, I'll try to see if I can improve my posts in future and make sure It's more than a ring sprite and such.
I'll see if I can scale Sonic or the ring and make them not clash as much.
We're trying to fix the palette as we speak, but if it still messes up? We'll scrap it.

@Boinciel The stages are mainly gonna be in 3D and will have slopes. The only expection is for one stage as the gimmick that it has is related to the camera.

@Duon & CobaltBW None of the zones will have loops, due to SRB2's slope physics and people could skip it, making it pointless to add any. But halfpipes? I doubt it.

Sorry to disapoint you all, but hey, at least it's better than burrowing through the ground in each loop's place. :P

You should just avoid trying to add loops, it wouldn't look right either way, and clash really badly.

Probably, the best you can do is formulate a Lua that locks Sonic into a circular motion, and apply normal physics if he moves too slowly. Really, though, this is exactly how classic Sonic does it too; It makes use of level geometry that have path locks (as far as I'm told) so you wouldn't be doing much different. If the physics don't exist, invent it?

At least you can have a first person camera that doesn't flip suddenly, for the sanity of the player's eyes.

If you want an added touch, use a sprite rotate program and make custom frames.

Last edited:
Probably, the best you can do is formulate a Lua that locks Sonic into a circular motion, and apply normal physics if he moves too slowly. Really, though, this is exactly how classic Sonic does it too; It makes use of level geometry that have path locks (as far as I'm told) so you wouldn't be doing much different. If the physics don't exist, invent it?

At least you can have a first person camera that doesn't flip suddenly, for the sanity of the player's eyes.

If you want an added touch, use a sprite rotate program and make custom frames.

I prefer to avoid adding loops as it is the best solution for me. Yes, it does ruin the level design a bit... But that's not my fault, since as I said before, SRB2's slope physics would not allow it and you could always simply jump through the gap. Plus, nobody wants to make ALL those custom walking,running.etc frames do they? Zoomtubes isn't a solution as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back