Suggestions

Increase the size of the bans list. Heck, make it unlimited if you can.

Also, add something that kicks players who have a ping above a certain level for a certain amount of time

Remove \'s as valid characters for names.

Last edited by a moderator:
FLOODPROTECTION ON/OFF - Flood protection on servers

Something like, if someone posts more than 10 lines on the chat in 2 seconds, this player is kicked automatically. It's absurdly annoying to see someone joining and uses that stupid spam-script on the server. This happened twice in OLDC server.

I've been playing a lot of custom maps recently with boring zoom tubes and it struck me: The zoom tube in CEZ1 is very boring. And it doesn't really make sense to have a high-speed tube in a mideval castle. It's practical in DSZ and cool in ERZ, but not in CEZ. Here are my suggestions.

Suggestion 1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undermining

In case you don't know what undermining is, lemme give you a quick definition: It was a siege tactic used in the Middle Ages, where attackers would dig under a castle's defenses to cause them to cave into the earth.

That is what I'm proposing to replace the zoom tube. The player would jump out of the water into a narrow tunnel, filled with Robo-Hoods and old wooden boxes to take cover from their arrows. The tunnel would emerge into the rest of the level at the point where Sonic exits the zoom tube now. This would provide an implied backstory into the area: Previous invaders tried to undermine / dig into Eggman's castle, and succeeded in finishing the tunnel. In order to prevent others from accessing that path, Eggman floods the previous area with water.

Suggestion 2 - Keep the zoom tube, but have it deposit the player from a logical place: From the spout of the fountain in the ruined town square. From there, the player can take the swing and continue through the stage, or backtrack to the area where the player exits the current zoom tube and find a repositioned Emerald Token. Because the zoom tube is now repurposed as a definite water pipe, its wall textures would have to be metallic or rusty, like a real pipe.

Last edited:
Things to have in future versions:

- Make all the items 3D. (item boxes,things,characters,etc.)
- Have different maps for Tag/Hide&Seek and Match/Team match; the Tag/Hide&seek maps should have more hiding places and can be more crowded and the Match/Team Match maps must be spacious and less crowded.
- Make RVZ and ERZ a bit easier and GFZ and THZ a bit harder.
- Have more NiGHTS levels. (there's only Slumber Circuit and Spring Hill.
- Have Shadow or Silver or somebody as an unlock able character when you finish the game with all the emeralds or something.

That's all............

-The hangable object gimmick that works like the one in Sonic 2's Mystic Cave and Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Sandopolis and the ones that act that work the same but can also be used as switches to make a different way of getting to different parts of a level to add more to gameplay.

Things to have in future versions:

1. Make all the items 3D. (item boxes,things,characters,etc.)
2. Have different maps for Tag/Hide&Seek and Match/Team match; the Tag/Hide&seek maps should have more hiding places and can be more crowded and the Match/Team Match maps must be spacious and less crowded.
3. Make RVZ and ERZ a bit easier and GFZ and THZ a bit harder.
4. Have more NiGHTS levels. (there's only Slumber Circuit and Spring Hill.
5. Have Shadow or Silver or somebody as an unlock able character when you finish the game with all the emeralds or something.

That's all............

1. If you want everything truly 3D, it would take a lot of extra work and require the OpenGL renderer, which isn't supported anymore by the creators.
2. I agree with this. The current levels really don't work in this mode because there isn't much places to hide in.
3. RVZ and ERZ are the last Zones in the game, and GFZ and THZ are the first. Their difficulty level is fine as it is.
4. I agree with this. Spring Hill had very nice design, and I'd like to see what other levels can be created.
5. No. We don't need unlockable characters because there's no reason to have them. If you want to be Shadow or Silver, add a WAD file.

-The hangable object gimmick that works like the one in Sonic 2's Mystic Cave and Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Sandopolis and the ones that act that work the same but can also be used as switches to make a different way of getting to different parts of a level to add more to gameplay.

This?

2) Vertical moving hang-able chain

It's a chain that moves down and up upon holding on it, depending on flags and values you could set:

-- Move up: (...)

-- Move down: (...)

-- Tagged to a special effect: I don't remember whether it was Sonic 2 or 3&K, Sonic pulls down a chain/chord and it turns on the light. I think a chain, upon being pulled down, could open doors, change the tagged sector's light level etc.

Thanks for mentioning it was used in Sonic 2's Mystic Cave and Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Sandopolis. I wasn't remembering.

----

This way we can Keep separate elemental damages for more variety.

Flame Shield : [Color] Red/Orange, [Protection] Fire/Lava, [Hit] 1, [Special] Flame trail, [Weakness] Turns to smoke from water
Air Shield : [Color] Blue, [Protection] Water/Slime, [Hit] 1, [Special] Infinite breath, [Weakness] N/A
Attraction Shield : [Color] Yellow, [Protection] Electricity, [Hit] 1, [Special] Attract rings, Shocks anything in the water it touches [Weakness] Shorts out in water
Whirlwind Shield : [Color] White, [Protection] N/A, [Hit] 1, [Special] Mini jump, [Weakness] N/A
Armageddon Shield : [Color] Black/Lavender, [Protection] All Elements, [Hit] 1, [Special] Trigger explosion, [Weakness] N/A
Force Shield : [Color] Cyan, [Protection] N/A, [Hit] 2, [Special] Reflect, [Weakness] N/A
Basic Shield : [Color] Green, [Protection] N/A, [Hit] 1, [Special] N/A, [Weakness] N/A

Pretty logic:

- 7 zones;
- 7 emeralds;
- 7 weapons;
- and now 7 monitors.

Too bad your math is off.

There are 8 zones (9 if GEZ ever gets made) and 6 weapons.

About weapons: I counted "normal ring" as weapon too, once a ring panel is displayed on HUD (obviously it was a lousy statement of mine).

The zones: Well, I'm considering what the Wiki says:

...now I could say "Nice, we'll have more zones than we thought".

Last edited:
Dark City is apparently not on the Wiki for 2.0 for obvious reasons. It's still on srb2.org's zone listing, though.

The problem is, you only really have three shield powers: double jump, ring attraction and free oxygen hijinks. The three elements, fire, water and electric, should be divided into those three shields, so the Elemental shield isn't so ridiculously overpowered.

Armageddon and Force are fine as it is.

The three elements, fire, water and electric, should be divided into those three shields, so the Elemental shield isn't so ridiculously overpowered.
Normally, a level has only one of those elements. What difference would it make to split the shields? It would only mean that one of those three shields is more powerful than the others because it has the flame trail.

In CTF, make things that only damage a certain team. (ex. blue lasers that only damage members of the red team and blue team members aren't affected by it (obviously) )

Along with that more team specific things.

The fire trail hardly gives you any edge in Single Player, and is really only useful in Match. In which case, you could just give it to the shield that protects you against fire.

Egg Rock 2 has outer space and lava, so the Elemental Shield is incredibly overpowered there. And simply because the shield that lets you dip into elements is the same that lets you breathe everywhere, you can do stuff like breathe inside lava, which you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

The fire trail hardly gives you any edge in Single Player, and is really only useful in Match. In which case, you could just give it to the shield that protects you against fire.
That just proves my point. The shield is not overpowered at all.

Egg Rock 2 has outer space and lava, so the Elemental Shield is incredibly overpowered there. And simply because the shield that lets you dip into elements is the same that lets you breathe everywhere, you can do stuff like breathe inside lava, which you wouldn't be able to otherwise.
The first elemental shield allows you to skip one pool of lava.
The second one allows you to skip... nothing at all. Really, how ridiculously overpowered.

I wrote this down some time ago. Let me just transcribe it:

Force Shield:
  • Reflects all projectiles
  • Withstands two hits
Whirlwind Shield:
  • Allows the player to double-jump
Attraction Shield:
  • Attracts nearby rings
  • Shorts out in water
Armageddon Shield:
  • Allows the player to cause an explosion once (depleting the shield)
  • Explodes when absorbing a hit
Elemental Shield:
  • Allows the player to breathe in water
  • Allows the player to breathe in space
  • Leaves a trail of fire during a spin attack
  • Protects against water damage (slime, icy water)
  • Protects against fire damage (fire, lava)
  • Protects against electric damage

The elemental shield is overpowered. Just because the official levels don't show it doesn't mean it isn't there.

It makes more sense if Attraction Shield protects you against electric damage as well, because electricity and magnetism are things strongly related each other. Electricity can produce a magnetic field and magnetism can stop or generate electric current.

We could think of interesting gimmicks/effects for Attraction Shield: a player with Attraction Shield can turn on electric traps and electrocute other players (like invincibility does) on multiplayer maps, and turn on lights or move doors or machines if he steps on a socket, on single player and coop.

Elemental Shield would be for material hazards only, like water, chemical and lava.

Last edited:
But why were the Inferno Shield and the Liquid Shield combined to the Elemental Shield in the first place?

Because that was the original plan in the old design document, because there were too many shields and because the Inferno Shield was basically useless in Co-op.

The old design had four shields: the basic shield, with no additional properties; the elemental shield, which protected against the elements and allowed breathing in water, the attraction shield, which drew nearby rings to the player, and the armageddon shield, which went boom.

In 1.0, the elemental shield was broken off into several shields. The liquid shield protected against water damage and allowed breathing underwater; the inferno shield protected against fire and allowed the spin fire trail; the attraction shield gained protection against electric damage.

Then Mystic came up with the whirlwind shield probably after dying too many times on his own stage and it replaced the basic shield. In 2.0, the shields were once again crushed back into the original design, with the elemental shield getting all the elements AND the fire trail, and the inferno shield being replaced with the new force shield.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 13, Members: 0, Guests: 13)

Back