Suggestions

Nah, it's much simpler than that. It broke in 2.0 due to the thing number changes, and we never fixed it because they never worked right anyways.

I know that people like shiny things, but shiny things that don't actually work right don't need to be put back. If you have a copy of 1.09.4 hanging around, load up in OGL and jump. Notice how your glow disappears? This is because the corona effects only actually apply to the surfaces near you, not things or the air around you. There is a fix for this but it looks even worse because it doesn't adjust based on positions, essentially sticking an obvious "glow" sprite on top of you. Simply removing the buggy feature makes more sense, even if it's not as splashy.

If you type in "Help" in the consol, it gives a whole bucket load of commands. But to try to find the one you are looking for is a pain. Could you guys perhaps group the commands together so they are easier to find. Like having Charspeed with Charability. That would make sense, or at least put it in alphabetical order.

I'm pretty sure they are in alphabetical order. The only exception is that it's divided into commands and cvars (console variables).

I'm pretty also sure you can do tab-completion in the console; so, you can type out a few letters of what you think the command is, and hit tab, and it'll complete it if you're right.

Now that you mention it, it DOES look really odd. Anyway, I'm sure that if you REALLY want them back, you could make them yourself and stick them in a wad with lua. If not, well, meh. It's only lights in the end. I have 1.09.4 myself, it does help in dark rooms and stuff, but that need can easily be avoided.

Now, homing-scatter-explosion-automatic-infinite-bounce-grenade-railrings anyone? *Shot*

But seriously, the combinations were quite cool. (Unless people got the whole world of pain thing or the overpowered combinations) I reckon that lua could bring it back if someone tries hard enough. Would that actually be possible or not? o3o

Last edited:
Okay...I'll put multiple suggestions in one post if that's okay with you guys.

1. Sonic CD physics instead of only just flowers coming out when you defeat an enemy. CD physics I mean as in being able to do Super Peel-Out, time travel via Speed Gimmick. I already know that turning on Soniccd mode just makes flowers come out when you defeat an enemy in SRB2.
2. Metal Sonic boss for Egg Rock Zone. Yes I do want that boss so badly. Whether it's a race, battle or both. It should be a penultimate boss that would happen before Metal Robotnik.
3. Optional Knuckles Chaotix Mode. By that I mean with a special ring force that bonds you between the characters so that you would call your partner with a cost of 10 rings, make your partner "hold" or stand still to allow the band to stretch, pick up the partner and throw him/her when you're standing near your partner.
4. Optional Sonic Heroes Mode. I don't mean complete Sonic Heroes gameplay physics. I mean as in the ability to change between 3 characters during gameplay and still being able to use Speed, Flight & Power type actions.
5. Knuckles & Tails option for SRB2 2.1.
6. An option that would allow you to choose the 2nd CPU player as your partner during Single Player like playing as Sonic & Tails in Single Player in SRB2 2.1. Just about ANY character than Tails even if wad characters are loaded. Like Sonic & Knuckles for example.
7. Insta-Shield/Two Twin Spin Attack for SRB2 Sonic from Sonic 3.
8.They need to have Supers in match have 2 seconds of true invincibility whenever they get hit. So autos and scatters aren't so uber.
9. Knuckles should be possible to knock a player out of their super by touching them.
10. There needs to be a timed powerup that boosts weapon effectiveness for 25 secs.
11. Optional Tag Actions just like from Sonic Advance 3.
12. I came up with the disguise box thingy idea for Team Match/CTF. Sky & the others helped me out on the idea. So I'll say there should be 30 seconds of disguise to make it balanced (If I can remember the idea correctly). The reason for it is so we can confuse our opposite team mates for their team mate and while it's in 30 seconds, it buys us a little more chance to get the opposite team flag (Maybe after 30 seconds wears off) but for Team Match, I think the disguised opponent might still be able to hit their opponent.
13. How about using an item boxes to switch a team mate and scores?
By optional mode ideas, they should fit to options section of SRB2 2.1 or console so that the player can choose whether to enable those. If Sonic CD physics idea can't work, then perhaps there should be a Sonic Robo Blast 2 CD exe mod for 2.1 or just simply get past the sign as a teleporter and make the robot generator being able to get you into the good future if you destroy it. If anyone's wondering why about the idea 9 thing is because Knuckles managed to hit Super Sonic out of his super form to make the Chaos Emeralds fly out of him in the intro of Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

Last edited:
Simple stuff.

Larger text in higher resolutions. I suggested this once, badly formulated so I suggest it again.

Do something with the console. Everytime I try to get back because I didn't catch what someone wrote and then another message pops up and I'm back at the bottom. That's just ridiculous.

Thank you gents, I'm done here.

IIRC there is the option to scale the text up on larger resolutions in 2.1, but I'm pretty sure fixing your other issue is very hard and not likely to happen. The console isn't really meant as a chat log but that's one of the many things it's ended up used for. Of course, raising your resolution and keeping the font small will help in this regard, although there's a maximum number of lines back it'll show.

Just responding to Mazefire's suggestions from a few posts back:

1. Sonic CD physics instead of only just flowers coming out when you defeat an enemy. CD physics I mean as in being able to do Super Peel-Out, time travel via Speed Gimmick. I already know that turning on Soniccd mode just makes flowers come out when you defeat an enemy in SRB2.

Super Peel-Out is just a running version of spinning, and implimenting time travel into SRB2 would be asking for a lot more than you think; in Sonic CD itself the levels themselves changed not only appearance and music but sometimes even the possible paths you can take.

3. Optional Knuckles Chaotix Mode. By that I mean with a special ring force that bonds you between the characters so that you would call your partner with a cost of 10 rings, make your partner "hold" or stand still to allow the band to stretch, pick up the partner and throw him/her when you're standing near your partner.

This would be asking for a lot too; there's no such thing as negative ring count in SRB2 unlike in Chaotix, for starters.

4. Optional Sonic Heroes Mode. I don't mean complete Sonic Heroes gameplay physics. I mean as in the ability to change between 3 characters during gameplay and still being able to use Speed, Flight & Power type actions.

Haha no, I don't think this'll ever be happening honestly, even if all characters were as simple as trios of Sonic/Tails/Knux clones.

5. Knuckles & Tails option for SRB2 2.1.

Any particular reason why this combo? Aside from Sonic & Tails and that there's 4 other combos that could be done in SRB2: Sonic & Knuckles, Tails & Sonic, Tails & Knuckles, and Knuckles & Sonic.

6. An option that would allow you to choose the 2nd CPU player as your partner during Single Player like playing as Sonic & Tails in Single Player in SRB2 2.1. Just about ANY character than Tails even if wad characters are loaded. Like Sonic & Knuckles for example.

Sonic & Sonic! Your rules, it works. =P Also this would make the previous suggestion obsolete.

7. Insta-Shield/Two Twin Spin Attack for SRB2 Sonic from Sonic 3.

AKA Sonic's jump ability from S3&K, which of course thok replaces in SRB2? If it really was that important to put in, I suppose it would be tied to the spin button or something.

8.They need to have Supers in match have 2 seconds of true invincibility whenever they get hit. So autos and scatters aren't so uber.

You joking? Supers themselves are overpowered enough as they are, they don't need the sympathy!

9. Knuckles should be possible to knock a player out of their super by touching them.

So supers = bustable blocks? Come on seriously - Knux is strong, but not THAT strong.

10. There needs to be a timed powerup that boosts weapon effectiveness for 25 secs.

Define "weapon effectiveness". Firing rate? Max ammo?

11. Optional Tag Actions just like from Sonic Advance 3.

I think we might have gone over how people feel about Sonic riding Knuckles before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. I came up with the disguise box thingy idea for Team Match/CTF. Sky & the others helped me out on the idea. So I'll say there should be 30 seconds of disguise to make it balanced (If I can remember the idea correctly). The reason for it is so we can confuse our opposite team mates for their team mate and while it's in 30 seconds, it buys us a little more chance to get the opposite team flag (Maybe after 30 seconds wears off) but for Team Match, I think the disguised opponent might still be able to hit their opponent.

I don't know how this disguising business would work really, not when it could be ruined by merely looking at the disguised players to reveal their names, which can then be checked with the stats button.

EDIT: Actually, what am I saying? Now that I'm thinking about it that idea *could* work for large netgames and such, but for ones with barely any players at all? You're out of luck there.

13. How about using an item boxes to switch a team mate and scores?

Uhhh, I don't know about switching scores, imagine the possible rage if some rubbish player stole the top player's score that way.

If Sonic CD physics idea can't work, then perhaps there should be a Sonic Robo Blast 2 CD exe mod for 2.1 or just simply get past the sign as a teleporter and make the robot generator being able to get you into the good future if you destroy it.

A whole exe just to make SRB2 like Sonic CD-like? All very well, but STJR likely wouldn't be the ones to make it.

Last edited:
Just responding to Mazefire's suggestions from a few posts back:

Super Peel-Out is just a running version of spinning, and implimenting time travel into SRB2 would be asking for a lot more than you think; in Sonic CD itself the levels themselves changed not only appearance and music but sometimes even the possible paths you can take.
Then the Super Peel-Out is pointless. Maybe it isn't possible to impliment time travel into SRB2 then?

This would be asking for a lot too; there's no such thing as negative ring count in SRB2 unlike in Chaotix, for starters.
There is negative ring count when you're Super Sonic. Especially when you shoot rings in Match/Tag/CTF/Hide & Seek.

Haha no, I don't think this'll ever be happening honestly, even if all characters were as simple as trios of Sonic/Tails/Knux clones.
Oh well...That's only gonna be for what SRB2CB & JTE is for then.

Any particular reason why this combo? Aside from Sonic & Tails and that there's 4 other combos that could be done in SRB2: Sonic & Knuckles, Tails & Sonic, Tails & Knuckles, and Knuckles & Sonic.
I thought you guys are only gonna impliment Sonic & Tails combo in Single Player for SRB2 2.1. Unless if you mean by bots in SRB2CB & JTE which makes those combos.

Sonic & Sonic! Your rules, it works. =P Also this would make the previous suggestion obsolete.
Sorry for making that idea the same thing. But like I said in that previous statement there...Maybe that's only for what SRB2CB & JTE for.

AKA Sonic's jump ability from S3&K, which of course thok replaces in SRB2? If it really was that important to put in, I suppose it would be tied to the spin button or something.
If it's gonna be tied to the spin button, it would be done in mid air and then you press the Spin Dash. Unless if there's gonna be another button that has a secondary ability like Insta-Shield button or something.

You joking? Supers themselves are overpowered enough as they are, they don't need the sympathy!
Not that I feel the same way others feel about Super Sonic in Match/CTF/Tag/Hide & Seek, others find using Super Sonic annoying and yet can be used for trolling. There's also the fact that after a certain amount of time, you get hit by custom ring weapons and loose your super when hit increases just like Sparkxster said back when we were talking about people being Super in match. I didn't feel like I was doing this for them when I posted that idea here...

So supers = bustable blocks? Come on seriously - Knux is strong, but not THAT strong.
Maybe. But like I said, Knuckles somehow hit Super Sonic to make the emeralds fly out of Sonic at the intro of Sonic 3 and I even wondered how did he managed to make Super Sonic get hurt.

Define "weapon effectiveness". Firing rate? Max ammo?
Bomb having bigger radius, auto having slight homing, railing bouncing off the walls, grenades splitting into 3 grenades, bounce traveling faster, & Scatter should having a slightly bigger push force and faster fire rate. Plus, red rings go Knuckles fire rate if not Knuckles. And for Knuckles, it should act like in badnik weapons as a shield. The powerup should only be able to be found in NON-TEAM game types.

I think we might have gone over how people feel about Sonic riding Knuckles before. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know man. I can't assume that either. Unless if I find out more about that already.

I don't know how this disguising business would work really, not when it could be ruined by merely looking at the disguised players to reveal their names, which can then be checked with the stats button.

EDIT: Actually, what am I saying? Now that I'm thinking about it that idea *could* work for large netgames and such, but for ones with barely any players at all? You're out of luck there.
Then how about an option to have the disguise monitor on or off? Or make it only available for when more players come? That way you can use the disguise monitor in a large net game even with that option to do so.

Uhhh, I don't know about switching scores, imagine the possible rage if some rubbish player stole the top player's score that way.
I didn't think people care about their scores so much. Sure having a higher score makes you look like you're the best Match/CTF/Tag/Hide & Seek player even when it comes to having required points to win, but if their arrogance is the case, then I guess that makes sense about the possible rage.

A whole exe just to make SRB2 like Sonic CD-like? All very well, but STJR likely wouldn't be the ones to make it.
Then maybe someone else could do it and break the limits of SRB2 to make it just like the ones who made SRB2CB and such?

I'd like to remind you that SRB2 is designed to be a game, not a toy or a sandbox. A game is supposed to have goals and then challenge the player to achieve them, be that goal completing a stage or beating another player in multiplayer. We're not in the business of adding useless features that are just "cool" or whatever. Additions to the game need to have serious, legitimate reason to be made. "Optional" features aren't worth spending time on. If the player has to toggle it on to even see the work we put into it, it's not worth putting work into it.

I'd also like to note that a lot of the design decisions made in SRB2 are intentionally done to restrict the player. Giving the player unlimited power is boring because the challenge ceases to exist. In multiplayer, there need to be legitimate counters to various strategies or the game will become stale as everyone just uses the same tactic to win (just look at race for an example of what happens when there's not). If players don't feel like they have limitations, where's the interesting challenge to overcome them?

For example, this is the main gameplay reason why Sonic & Tails is the only option (obviously, the other major reason is that other combinations didn't exist in the classics). If you could play as Knuckles & Tails, you would be skip where Knuckles's lowered jump height forces him onto his own route by simply having Tails fly you up.

Couldn't you do that anyway with a windshield? At least you can in NAGZ since it has a windshield that knuckles can get.

It's also a design flaw of AGZ that's fixed in 2.1. Also, we don't object to the player being clever and breaking our level design through creative use of game mechanics. It's a problem if a feature we add just lets you ignore game mechanics, though.

A suggestion I have, (if not already made before) is to fix the frame naming on glide/flight/swim characters. As in, make it so you CAN actually make a super form for a flight character instead of being stuck with a yellow version of them with fancy sparkles and invulnerability.

A suggestion I have, (if not already made before) is to fix the frame naming on glide/flight/swim characters. As in, make it so you CAN actually make a super form for a flight character instead of being stuck with a yellow version of them with fancy sparkles and invulnerability.

... Can you not already do that with a custom wad?

Not what I'm aware of.
I'm sure that the flight frames are the ones that super frames are supposed to use. Setting superanims to 1 and going super gives you their super transforming sequence (if they have one) and then you're stuck in a permanent gliding/flight pose. :I

Actually I'd imagine you can separate super and abilities by just fiddling with the SOC stuff for the player's states, since the states for super and abilities are in fact separate (see for yourselves here). Only problem is that would affect all characters.

Only problem is that would affect all characters.

With Lua, one could most likely implement a script that runs a soc on transition to super form in the custom character and then resets it, causing it to only break in multiplayer :-P

EDIT: Which reminds me. Is Lua tied to the map (e.g. executed with a linedef executor) or autorun on load or what? As in, how does a Lua script get activated?

With Lua, you could just make new states altogether and skip the hackish bullshit entirely.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 10, Members: 0, Guests: 10)

Back